Author Topic: McDonald Imperial Super Diesel Crude Oil Engine  (Read 15925 times)

mikenash

• View Profile
Re: McDonald Imperial Super Diesel Crude Oil Engine
« Reply #15 on: May 10, 2020, 07:52:03 AM »
Cool.  Good progress.  I wonder if it's the same folks who made an oversized ring for me after a "whoops" at the machinists lol

cobbadog

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 16, 2020, 06:33:25 AM »
Hi Mike I found a bloke 2 hours south of me that has a wide selection of rings and valves and soon is expanding into piston repairs, interesting.
So at least my rings are being made and along with a huge order of other rings they will then be sent to Oz and then mine will arrive soon after that.
To day I decided while waiting for the electrolysis to hopefully work on the injectors bottom needle I started to make a new pin for the rocker arm to pivot on and add a better oil hole for lube by cutting a groove in the shaft and boring an oil hole halfway down the pin and then cross drilling it. I also reground the end of the rocker arm where it meets the valve stem. Next is the pivoting ball, this will explain itself in the future pics but I may need to make another push rod from the cam follower through the pivot ball to the rocker arm. You will notice the old brazing repair from long ago but this one is better than the other one I have to choose from so this is it.
Coopernook - the centre of our Universe.

cobbadog

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 17, 2020, 05:35:34 AM »
Played around with the linkages today cleaning up the parts and making a special collar to hold the fork from another linkage that operates the injector. I think it is all ready to go together when more parts arrive and try to work out how to adjust it all. Fortunately if I get stuck I now have a good contact who has one of these in running order so I can annoy him with all the questions.

cobbadog

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 17, 2020, 05:54:59 AM »
While still waiting on the electrolysis to do its thing I played around with some ideas or experiments, why not I say!
First was to see what happens when you use a MIG welder on cast steel, well it looks as if it welds. I will give it a flogging soon to see what it takes to fracture. Some of the valve stems were badly worn on the ends so again what happens when you weld these up with a MIG.

mikenash

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 17, 2020, 06:41:57 PM »
interesting re MIG and cast steel.  I will watch with interest.  Cheers

cobbadog

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 18, 2020, 07:03:32 AM »
Many others have been down this track using a MIG on cast steel not iron as there is a difference. Most say it is no problems but still work with  some pre heat and a slow cool and do short runs.
So as I am waiting for parts and my head keeps jumping from one job to another this was play time for today. Straight from the "why not" department and it will come in handy later on for the air cleaner that I have to make. Never tried doing this before and for a first attempt it is ok so this will be it, rough n ready. Tried a few ways to get the little punch to work and in the end I simply cut the sheet metal with the 1mm cutting disc then introduced the punch while holding the sheet metal in place with some flat bar iron and clamps.

LowGear

• Casey
  • What? My diesel had fries for lunch?
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 18, 2020, 01:17:13 PM »
Wow!
NPR Tipper/Dump Truck
Kubota BX 2230
Witte BD Generator
SunnyBoy 6000 + SolarWorld 245

cobbadog

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 22, 2020, 07:12:29 AM »
To continue with the "have a go ya mug" attitude and after being inspired by Ian Rowsal of Custom Garage I decide to have a go at this today. Found a couple of pieces of timber and cut the shape out then made a sheet metal sandwich and used a hammer to dress the edge over to make the lid. It surprised me that it worked so this is my new lid and tomorrow I will attach it to the louvre sided section I made the other day.

cobbadog

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 23, 2020, 06:34:14 AM »
Rough enough is good enough for this old engine. I made the centre mounting shaft then soldered the top onto the cylinder and this is how it ended up.

dax021

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 23, 2020, 11:12:24 AM »
So, please excuse my ignorance, but what is that?  A air filter housing?

cobbadog

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: May 23, 2020, 12:20:20 PM »
Yes that is exactly what it will be. I'm not planning in putting any filter inside at the moment but if I have to I will use some stainless steel scourers inside and put some mesh over the hole in the middle. It is similar to an original style filter with the louvres but initially I was just playing around while waiting for parts and this is the end result.

dax021

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 24, 2020, 09:13:49 AM »
Brilliant.  I would never even thought about making such a thing, and you make it look easy.  Great work.

cobbadog

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: May 24, 2020, 12:37:25 PM »
Thsnk you for your kind words. The style is similar to the original but another Aussie pointed out that originally the louvres faced inwards not out. I can live with that and I don't mind being different.
I watch a show on TV named Full Custom Garage and usa show and IAn Rowsall who builds up cars and trucks and buggies did a similar thing to make a fuel tank. This is waht inspired me to have ago as he too made it look simple. To be honest it is a simple thing to do all you need is a couple of pieces of timber cut to shape and clamped together, then the right gauge sheet metal to dress over the edge.
The same can be said about the louvres although Ian went to a shop that had the right machine to do the job but I thought why not try to see if I can doo something similar. Believe me my first attempt was a failure, it did not cut the straight edge and just folded the test piece in half. So I cheated and made the cut using my angle grinder with the 1mm thick cut off disc in it. The rest is as you see it. Mind you again it was clamped for each time I went to make the louvre.
I am now considering making the fuel tank only a bit larger using the same proceedure. It will need to hold around 3 litres of fuel which should be enough for a full days work under load which will mean a full weekend of fun at a Rally when it all comes back on line. Still waiting for some critical parts to arrive, a ring set of 5 compression rings and one oil ring. A pair of new valve blanks so we can make them fit, the cam gear repair being carried out by a welder and the oil primer cup for the pre start up. Once these things are in place it should not take long to put it back together again.

cobbadog

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: May 27, 2020, 06:41:19 AM »
Cleaned up the outside of a paint thinners tin to use as the fuel tank. I think it is about 1 litre bigger than standard so it is a long range fuel cell now. I have strengthened the bottom where the tap will go in and made up the mounting brackets to the hopper.

cobbadog

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: May 28, 2020, 07:15:25 AM »
Hi Glort,
This system is a gravity system and has no pumps at all, it is so weird that I haven't completely worked it out yet. Yes I will need to drill a small hole in the lid before I paint it silver in colour.
Clarendon Classic 2020 was cancelled about a fortnight back as has the Rusty Iron Rally and the Cranky Handle Rally and The Yesteryear Truck Show, so many others that it looks as if the next rally wont be on until next year.
As for paying a visit that would be nice but we are head down tail up with work so we can hook the van up to head off in the beginning of July.
Was it a brand new MIG or a new replacement 2nd hand? I bought mine new off fleabay and have been so happy with it and any and all bad results are due to operator error. Slowly I am working that part out.
Could we please defer the visit until a bit later please, but it would be good to catch up.