Puppeteer

Author Topic: McDonald Imperial Super Diesel Crude Oil Engine  (Read 2655 times)

cobbadog

• View Profile
Re: McDonald Imperial Super Diesel Crude Oil Engine
« Reply #30 on: May 27, 2020, 06:41:19 AM »
Cleaned up the outside of a paint thinners tin to use as the fuel tank. I think it is about 1 litre bigger than standard so it is a long range fuel cell now. I have strengthened the bottom where the tap will go in and made up the mounting brackets to the hopper.
Coopernook - the centre of our Universe.

glort

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: May 27, 2020, 09:26:27 AM »

Don't forget to put a tiny hole in the lid or leave it loose when running, those tins are air tight.  They are also pretty thin so if left sealed, the pump may have enough pull to crush them down under Vacuum.

I wonder if the Clarendon show will be on this year or the local one to me at Menangle in October?
Even though we have only had 100 Deaths in the whole country and the majority of them can be traced to 2 Distinct sources, seems to me everyone is going completely overboard with all this.

I was up with Dad last week in Taree and apart from a few frock shops closing early in the centre, looked like everything was the same.  The checkout chick in the supermarket certainly shared my belief that it was all over the top now.
Dad didn't want to go to the supermarket but was happy to come everywhere else with me and look at a new Tractor, buy a new MIG welder and Check out new toys at the garden equipment place.

Like me, when you don't know anyone that knows any one that knows anyone that got it and with 3000 cases in 25m people, the odds of getting anything are on par with winning lotto.  As I don't see that ever happening, I can be pretty confident of avoiding the china flu.

I'll be up there again next week knocking off more odd jobs and Cutting wood, might have to drop in and have a look at all these toys of yours.... If you aren't scared I'll kill you with the Pox that is!  :0)

cobbadog

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: May 28, 2020, 07:15:25 AM »
Hi Glort,
This system is a gravity system and has no pumps at all, it is so weird that I haven't completely worked it out yet. Yes I will need to drill a small hole in the lid before I paint it silver in colour.
Clarendon Classic 2020 was cancelled about a fortnight back as has the Rusty Iron Rally and the Cranky Handle Rally and The Yesteryear Truck Show, so many others that it looks as if the next rally wont be on until next year.
As for paying a visit that would be nice but we are head down tail up with work so we can hook the van up to head off in the beginning of July.
Was it a brand new MIG or a new replacement 2nd hand? I bought mine new off fleabay and have been so happy with it and any and all bad results are due to operator error. Slowly I am working that part out.
Could we please defer the visit until a bit later please, but it would be good to catch up.

glort

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: May 28, 2020, 08:42:57 AM »

No Worries, Hope you have a good Trip.

I forgot this is not a " Normal" Type engine. Gravity feed with no air would stop it quick. I'm always amazed at the price fuel tanks go for, both specific and universal types.

Bummer about the rallies being cancelled. I'm really over this China flu and all the Bullshit with it now. It's being turned into some sort of Public control agenda and scare tactic which has all gone way over the top. I was shit scared of this at first because I believe there is a VERY good chance I would not survive it with my afflictions but i'm literally betting my life on the fact the chances of getting it are the same as winning lotto. I'm doing everything I can as normal as the restrictions allow which pretty much mean not eating out and little else different.

I think this has all been way over blown but I also think it's not going to let up any time soon.
I'm disappointed to hear the rallies are all off. I missed the local one last year, Obviously the one for this month was shit canned and it seems the October one will be too.  I like the Clarendon one although it's a very Melancholy thing going there. I like the event but the venue has very painful memories.  I wasn't up to going last year but was going to put my big girl pants on this time round. I hope they still fit next year.

Bought Dad a New Unimig.  They are Italian and a mate has a MIG/ TIG and I have a plasma made by them. The service from the importer is fantastic in my experience. Had some problems with the Plasma Which I think were due to shitty Tips and rung them and their service guy, an Italian bloke could not have more helpful. I could not have been more helpful if I was dealing with Myself! Told me to Drop in any time as they aren't far from me and I gave him a call to see if it was convinent, yep any time and the guy welcomed me like a long lost mate and went over the thing with a fine tooth comb while I was there. Changed the tips, Cut a heap with the thing which was perfect, changed the tip/ electrode again and said there you go. No Charge! Couldn't do better than that.  Funny thing was I had bought genuine tips and he said there were a lot of them that were crap and the chinese no names were generally better. Bought them and had no problem.  Unbelievable!

Dad had his eye on one of their machines before Christmas. When I diagnosed the board was kaput and rang Mig O Mag, the guy there who was also helpful as could be, said they still made them and they would be $130 which I thought was OK.  Dad Obviously really wanted a new, lighter compact machine with more bells and Whistles so we went in to look at the one he saw before. That was a run out special and the replacement was a Tad over 900 and was TIG as well which dad didn't even know what that was despite being a Qualified welder  back in the '60's.  Was all stick and oxy back then of course.

I told the guy TIG was nothing he was interested in nor was all the other crap of a trolley, helmet etc which came as a package which he already has. The machine was a Trade quality one and I said to the guy he's 82, It's not like the thing needs to last 20 Years and he's probably still on the same roll of wire in the old machine as he had 5 Years ago. The guy got a bit defensive about the better machine was 15A and said don't think about filing the pin down, it will Void your warranty.  I looked  and said that's the Plebs way. The shed is all wired in 2.5 as it has to be, that's good for 20A, there is 15A of solar on the circuit back feeding it so there is no voltage drop, quite the opposite, I'd just put in a 15A point and that would be it.  Guy said Oh, yeah, not many people would know how to do that.
Hmm, whatever.

He had a new old stock machine and said If You want to pay cash I can do you this one for $400. It's a 185 A Stick/ MIG Machine so all Dad would need so I couldn't get the money ( lucky I had some cash) out my pocket fast enough.
Dad has the Shakes now so welding will be a challenge or he'll be able to weld better than he ever could, not sure which or I'll be doing it all for him.  He was plenty happy to get the thing that price and the guy threw in a bunch of Tips as well which was a bonus.
I set it up for him before I left.  I don't know he'll be able to re thread the wire if he gets a jam with his Fingers. His eyesight is better than mine since he had his cataracts done last year but sometimes he can't hold a cup that more than half full without getting it on the roof or walls.  It's not parkinsons, it's called essential tremors and not a lot that can be done he could deal with. The main treatment means he couldn't drive and the day that happens will be the week before he gives up and kicks the bucket.

I didn't get a chance to do much with the thing other than load the wire and Dial it in and sticky tape the settings and switches in place so he can't accidently bump them.  I really don't know what he's going to need to weld with the thing but he likes to have things in case so if it gives him peace of mind, it's money well spent at his age.  I told him Just use the stick and I'll bring mine up if he really needs something but that idea didn't suit so now he's happy and content.

I'm going to bring the old machine down and see if I can fix it. It's made like they used to not like they make them now. Great heavy transformer, old school Rectifiers, HUUUGE Caps and what electronics there is look like it was all hand soldered way before surface mount and double side boards were even dreamt of. I'm pretty sure all the board does is control the wire feed speed. I'm going to see if I can just replace the board with a PWM controller and if not, a Mate in Qld told me he's been doing a bunch of these boards for some mining and engineering cos up there and reckons he won't have any problem with it. I'm sure he won't.  I'll have a look and see if he can give me some pointers. There isn't much on it anyway so it's probably just a cap or a rectifier or something simple.

If I can get it going I Might sell it.  I just bought a new one myself otherwise I'd have held out. Dad was going to scrap it because he hates selling stuff and dealing with the inevitable wankers who think things should be better than new or expect the price they want to haggle to includes delivery 100 Km away. I'll sell it for him and give him the money... which he'll probably refuse but I can put it to something else for him.

I'm Going to try and get up there at least every 3-4 weeks now so hopefully plenty of opportunities to catch up later.
Where you plan on going and how long you got off?

glort

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: May 28, 2020, 11:41:53 AM »

Just looking on Fleabay. There are an assortment of metal Tanks for Go Karts that may be suitable for stationary engines.

cobbadog

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: May 28, 2020, 01:01:39 PM »
Sounds like a good deal on the MIG. Like you say it gives him pleasure that he knows he has it there when he needs it and I too am like that. I have been looking at a plasma cutter but not in a hurry but one day. Are you running gas or gasless on the MIG? I started gasless but I was not doing so well then using the Bunnings gas I bought a gauge and tried it and away I went. I still have the gasless wire and now I have a better understanding on how to use it I may try gasless again. I also know about swapping the polarity around between gas and gasless and I think it was operator error not machine or gas or not that was the issue.
As for catching up we should have settled a bit by end of August early September now that the rallies are done. We still have a few more van trips to do after this one in July as we need to go back to Canberra and this has to be timed with the running of the large steam beam engine at Golburn and we have to cross the border into enemy territory once Anna opens the border to see the little wog great grand son. SO, yes we will catch up just not sure when but soon I hope.

cobbadog

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: May 29, 2020, 07:37:31 AM »
Cam gear is home and I started to linish it to shape.
I can't believe the trouble I had posting this here but is good it made it on.
« Last Edit: May 29, 2020, 07:55:03 AM by cobbadog »

cobbadog

• View Profile
« Reply #37 on: May 30, 2020, 06:44:19 AM »
The next bit of dribble for today after work gave me just enough time to linish the cam profile but I found a couple of spots that need to be built up higher. The guy who welded this must have known as he mentioned that if I needed any part built up just bring it back, so it will go back to him next week.
Then I fitted both Speedi-Sleeves to the crankshaft. This took all of 5 minutes. I picked up a piece of exhaust pipe that was the correct ID to fit over the sleeve and a couple of light taps to get both sleeves into the correct position.
Not much play time today but at least something got done.

cobbadog

• View Profile
« Reply #38 on: May 31, 2020, 06:40:41 AM »
Well I went back to the job of removing the fuel cup from the injector body. Had no luck with electrolysis only that it is super clean on the outside. So there was no way that the small grub screw would undo even using an impact socket with the screw driver bit in it so I drilled it out of the way. After reading about so many different ways to achieve what I am trying to do today I went down the road of heating and quenching. Using what Dad used to cal a size C lpg burner I started to gently heat the cup and then quench it in water. I did this a couple of times and the last time I gave it full throttle and got the cup to the dullest of cherry red and then quenched it again. Then I left it sitting in water until next time where I will once again look closer at how much I have drilled out and if any more needs to be removed then will go back to the serious heating again. All the time I have been very gently tapping the cup to see if it shows any signs of moving. This tapping is dangerous as this is how the other cup was broken off the injector body, not because of tapping it directly but by using a lever to lift the body out of the head and the slightest movement sideways breaks the cup off. In the instruction book this is made very clear and that when you remove a stubborn injector it is a case of removing the head and prising the cup up.
So this is my SpacEx clean burn launch today.

cobbadog

• View Profile
« Reply #39 on: June 08, 2020, 06:49:33 AM »
Well I stripped the oil primer and had to remove the plunger from the brass tube, clean it all up and as suggested I simply reversed the plunger so that it was back to original specifications and not with all the wear on it. I tinned the end of the brass tube and sweated it back in place without having to remove the outter casing by heating it up through the bottom where the check valve should have been. I welded the plunger back into the cap then made a new gasket to fit between the body and hopper. My brass tube was still there so I made it to the new length as it was a bit too long, tinned it and again heated the brass tube and soldered it back into the body. Some silicone and then bolted it back into place.
I did a test on the bench by putting some oil in the case with the plunger installed and sitting down. No oil came out. I started lifting the cap up and down and it started pumping oil out so it is a win. It is amazing how much oil it displaces each pump.

cobbadog

• View Profile
« Reply #40 on: June 18, 2020, 06:58:42 AM »
With weeks of part time work done on the Hyvid/Brons fuel injector I have finally got it all the way apart and cleaned up. I have used some valve grinding paste both coarse and fine to re-seat the bottom needle to help stop compression blow back and all I need now is 2 new copper gaskets and a new spring for the needle then it can be assembled ready for action. I am making new valve guides for the head, am looking at 2 new valves also and the new set of piston rings are somewhere between N.Z. and here.

cobbadog

• View Profile
« Reply #41 on: June 20, 2020, 07:00:53 AM »
Finally got the injector back together today so will post pics of it assembled later but here are the last of the parts made up to do the job. There is a new spring on the needle, a roughly made grub screw to hold the cup in place and a new copper crush washer that I annealed even more to ensure a good seal when installed.
The grey length of cast iron is for making new valve guides for the head and I have some new valves apparently available but cannot confirm until next week.

cobbadog

• View Profile
« Reply #42 on: July 26, 2020, 02:19:50 AM »
Things are on the move again with the Mac. Injector is now been apart and sorted out all its issues but the good news is I now have an oil primer. It too was stuck solid but now it is freed up and working as new. For such a very simple design it really pumps the oil through to the piston and gudgeon pin via a brass tube through the water hopper.

cobbadog

• View Profile
« Reply #43 on: July 26, 2020, 02:29:04 AM »
Next was a fuel tank. I was going to use a simple old paint thinners can and strengthen it for the fuel tap and mount that. Then I was reminded about these engines and blow back. They can have a habit of blowing compression back up through the injector and into the fuel tank. So with plan B now in action I built a very solid fuel tank using 6" exhaust pipe as the body of the tank then some slightly heavier base and top sections and then tack welded a piece of flat bar iron around the lid so that it fitted snugly over the body. I now only have to drill and tap the hole for the fuel tap to fit into and that will be done when the head is back on the engine and the extended hopper fitted. Tank is fitted as per original and is a short gravity feed into the injector. To shut one of these engines down you shut the fuel and just as it is about to die then decompress the engine.

Lastly is a picture of the cam gear where the lobe was built up and linished back to size. Nearly all the way around had to be built up and hopefully I have the correct profile. Something I have done is to start making a list of possible "stuff ups" that could be a cause for it not to run.

mike90045

• Mendocino Metro
  • Mmmm BBQ
    • View Profile
    • Mikes Solar PV page
« Reply #44 on: July 26, 2020, 07:06:14 PM »
Next was a fuel tank. I was going to use a simple old paint thinners can and strengthen it for the fuel tap and mount that. Then I was reminded about these engines and blow back. They can have a habit of blowing compression back up through the injector and into the fuel tank. ..............

I would think compression/ignition blowing back thru the injector and fuel pump, would be a failure of the injector, and if it happened, would destroy the fuel pump.   At the least, a flimsy fuel tank would rupture, a sturdy tank will cause a line to blow.