Author Topic: Intermittent starting Lister d  (Read 251 times)

Welding

• View Profile
Intermittent starting Lister d
« on: April 26, 2020, 10:02:51 PM »
Hi all, I've had a few Lister d engines however this one has me struggling, it starts intermittent and usually only runs with butterfly closed, also cuts out if I move the needle clockwise , any help welcomed thanks

AdeV

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: Intermittent starting Lister d
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2020, 11:23:46 AM »
Sounds like the carb is in need of cleaning/adjustment.

Bear in mind that my knowledge of carburettors could fit into a box of matches, without taking the matches out first.... so caveat emptor!

So... if it won't run with any throttle, I'd guess that the main jet is blocked. It'll start and just about run on the idle jet, but as soon as you feed it more air, it's not getting enough fuel, so it dies.
Cheers!
Ade.
--------------
1x Lister CS Start-o-Matic (complete, runs)
0x Lister JP4 :( - Sold to go in a canal boat.

glort

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2020, 03:49:59 PM »

Ades advise on the carb sounds good to me.

Something I have come across a bit lately, not on lister engines but on poor runners, is ignition issues.
I have pulled carbs and cleaned and checked a couple of them only to find it made no difference.  What I have found is the ignition to be the problem.

One engine had the Coil removed and reinstalled with far too wide a gap.  It would run in a fashion but backfire and had no power and would die. Once I was told the coil had been removed and questioned the gap it was re installed at, I knew I found the problem.  Sure enough, setting it to the ball park of where I thought it should be had the thing running perfectly.

Another one I did pick up on was a cracked coil . It too would run then die as the engine heated up. Had this on a motor cycle once.  4 Hours to get home for a 40 min trip but it did get home with lots of cooling breaks along the way.
 A replacement Chinese cheapo coil came along in 3 days for the small engine and I put that on and again the thing ran like a top.
 $17 part rendered a $20K lifter useless.

The other one was simply a HT lead end that had pulled back in the cover and was jumping a wide spark to the plug which sometimes made it and sometimes obviously didn't.

All these things looked like a bad carb and did fool me initially but having come across it a few times now I'm far more wary.

Last one was Funny. Non mechanical mate brought his Crappy brushcutter over that wouldn't run.  Pulled it over a few times, no go.  I pulled the little plug out and quickly saw it had a whisker across the plug gap. Blew on it, whisker went away and I said that's the magic touch, she'll  be right now. Mate scoffed. Put it back in and thing fired first pull.  Look on mates face was priceless.  Went in and told Mrs I was " The Fonz" of engines and all I did was blew on it and the thing worked.
 Poor guy is still asking how I did that.

If you clean the carb and make sure it's getting fuel but still no joy, check the plug/ boot/ Ht lead. If you still have problems, have a close look at the coil/ points and ignition components including cut off switches if one is installed. Seen them go bad and permanently short mags and coils.

I would suggest you have a carb problem and that is the most likely culprit being a blocked main jet as Ade suggests.

Coil symptoms can be very similar  to a blocked carb and weak sparks won't fire weaker mixtures but being different systems, working on one won't fix the other!   :0)

Welding

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2020, 03:55:26 PM »
Thanks for the advice, I have since had the engine working perfect however it doesn't like running when it's hot, it cuts out, and only runs with the air intake closed, I'm going to change the spark plug, cleaning the carbon out engine and replace the head gasket