Puppeteer

Author Topic: Electric starter  (Read 6365 times)

dieselspanner

• View Profile
Re: Electric starter
« Reply #15 on: May 20, 2020, 03:24:44 PM »
Thanks for that, I've ordered one, Looks like an easy way out, with a nice display, once I've worked my way through the Chinese instructions!

I found and ordered this too

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/CAR-TIMER-SWITCH-TIME-RELAY-DELAY-OFF-CAR-LIGHTS-UNIVERSAL-KIT-1-720s-20A-12V/271203168131?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&var=574411661598&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649

Much simpler, just twiddle the pot.

Maybe later I'll go for a double delay and have a pre heater kick in first. I'd rather keep it simple to start with tho....

Cheers
Stef
Tighten 'til it strips, weld nut to chassis, peen stud, adjust with angle grinder.

queenofjacks

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 21, 2020, 08:19:08 PM »
Hi, Guys-
  I've seen several articles about electric starters for Lister CS engines and I just had to put in my two cents worth!
  My starter system is sooo simple and inexpensive!  A golf cart type starter/generator ($125) a belt ($10-15) a (small belt pulley $10) a little bit of simple shop work! A picture is worth a thousand words - so check the attached photo.  push the starter button, pull the tensioning lever and, Voila! - She spins over perfectly and easily.  Cranking is straight forward.  When you activate compression release and she cranks, release tension on the belt.  If the run time is going to be more than just a minute or two, Kick the starter belt off with a stick or tool so the starter/generator isn't driven unnecessarily. Easy to do.
  Now I wired my starter/generator for start only -- didn't need the generate function.  But if you want some serious 12 volt charging for say, a battery bank - this will do it!

Lovson 10/1  7.5KW - Power Solutions 20/2  12KW - Lister SR2 7.5KW - 2-Lister 8/1's - Lister TR2 7.5KW

Hugh Conway

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 22, 2020, 11:23:03 PM »
@Queenofjacks

The golf cart starter works great. I have been using one on my 6/1 for several years. Veggie provided photos and a schematic for his hook-up a few years back. Can't recall if it was on LEF or Microcogen. With my set-up, I just leave the starter/generator belted on to charge the starting battery.  Veggie used a solenoid for switching, I just used a manual switch with heavy contacts.  Had to replace the brushes once, but otherwise trouble-free.
You are correct, inexpensive and easy to rig.
Cheers
Hugh
JKson 6/1  (Utterpower PMG ) Off-grid
Lister 6/1 Start-O-Matic engine......running with PMG
1978 Royal Enfield (glutton for punishment by Indian iron)
1963 BMW R-27 project

queenofjacks

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 23, 2020, 02:54:26 AM »
Thanks for the reply, Hugh.  I've used this set up on three CS engines, so far.  No problems whatsoever.  -- Cheers,
                                                                                                                                                                Charlie
Lovson 10/1  7.5KW - Power Solutions 20/2  12KW - Lister SR2 7.5KW - 2-Lister 8/1's - Lister TR2 7.5KW

veggie

• Keep Calm and Start the Lister !
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 24, 2020, 03:14:52 PM »

My golf car starter/charger system.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qbcbuygYJdM

and here is the link to the MicroCogen forum discussion...
http://www.microcogen.info/index.php?topic=3096.0
- 6/1 GM90 Listeroid - Delco 33si Alternator
- Changfa R175 - Lease/Neville Alternator
- JiangDong R165 Air cooled - 2 kw
- Changfa S195 (Waiting for a project)

Hugh Conway

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 24, 2020, 05:41:08 PM »
@ Veggie
Thanks for re-posting with the links.
IMHO, this is the best add-on starter system for a Listeroid. After 6 years of use (we're off-grid) it still works without problems. I estimate around 1500-1700 operating hours and around 1000 start/charge cycles. Keeps the starter battery charged so there is a independent lighting system in the engine area too. Does not use a noticeably high current draw for starting.......I originally installed a well used (scrapped) car battery and it is still in service after all these years. Also the starter/generator does not use an appreciable amount of HP when in charge mode. In fact, though there is additional power used, we can't see/hear any difference without measuring.
We had previously installed a friction starter, but had problems when there was an ice film on the flywheel from the freezing fog that we get here sometimes. The friction starter is still in place, but hasn't been used for years. That's also a simple system, though required a bit of machining to adapt the starter motor.
Golf cart starter/generator is the way........no machining, no welding. Hacksaw, file, drill motor was all that was required. We just fabricated a bracket from Aluminium channel and bolted it up.
Thanks again Veggie, for getting us started.
Cheers
Hugh
1963 BMW R-27 project

veggie

• Keep Calm and Start the Lister !
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 28, 2020, 03:55:10 PM »
 Hi Hugh,

I don't know how you found a genuine 6/1 in Canada but you did it.
I think I saw one for sale about 6 years ago and it sold in 1 day.
Cherish it.
Did you give it a clean and polish lately? Are you taking good care of it?   ;D
- 6/1 GM90 Listeroid - Delco 33si Alternator
- Changfa R175 - Lease/Neville Alternator
- JiangDong R165 Air cooled - 2 kw
- Changfa S195 (Waiting for a project)

Hugh Conway

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 28, 2020, 05:10:59 PM »
@ Veggie
Re the Dursley 6/1....It is a start-o-matic. I didn't find it in Canada though......bought it from another LEF member (Oiler)in Denmark. The shipping was not very expensive, the importation was also not very expensive.......BUT....... Customs guys in Montreal said it was dirty, so sent it out to be cleaned before allowing it to enter. That was costly. Oiler put a couple of nice Danish beers in one of the control boxes. Customs guys , or likely the "cleaners" kept the beer though it should have been allowed. Never the less, it's now sitting on a big concrete pad in my shop which it will eventually power. I removed all the start-o-matic components and belted it up to another Utterpower PMG.........same as with my Listeroid daily driver that's used for bat charging in winter. The Dursley got a strip down, re-sleeve on the cylinder, new bearings and rings. Re-did the fuel filter as per 38AC, and a repaint. It is far easier to hand start than my Listeroid.......a few turns of the crank and off it goes, no need for a starter.........Big flywheels and inertia, I guess.
Cheers
Hugh
1963 BMW R-27 project

dieselspanner

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 17, 2020, 03:25:00 AM »
Hi All

I thought I'd 'bump' this thread in support of Veggies 'Simple starter' thread.

As you can see its pretty simple, but a bit of fabrication is needed.

I still haven't got around to getting it more 'startomatic' yet, the refurb of the barn has taken off and five weeks back I got called out to  Azerbaijan on the hoverbarge project I've mentioned a time or too before.

Cheers
Stef
Tighten 'til it strips, weld nut to chassis, peen stud, adjust with angle grinder.