Lister Engines > Original Lister Cs Engines

Electric starter

<< < (5/5)

Hugh Conway:
@ Veggie
Thanks for re-posting with the links.
IMHO, this is the best add-on starter system for a Listeroid. After 6 years of use (we're off-grid) it still works without problems. I estimate around 1500-1700 operating hours and around 1000 start/charge cycles. Keeps the starter battery charged so there is a independent lighting system in the engine area too. Does not use a noticeably high current draw for starting.......I originally installed a well used (scrapped) car battery and it is still in service after all these years. Also the starter/generator does not use an appreciable amount of HP when in charge mode. In fact, though there is additional power used, we can't see/hear any difference without measuring.
We had previously installed a friction starter, but had problems when there was an ice film on the flywheel from the freezing fog that we get here sometimes. The friction starter is still in place, but hasn't been used for years. That's also a simple system, though required a bit of machining to adapt the starter motor.
Golf cart starter/generator is the way........no machining, no welding. Hacksaw, file, drill motor was all that was required. We just fabricated a bracket from Aluminium channel and bolted it up.
Thanks again Veggie, for getting us started.
Cheers
Hugh

veggie:
 Hi Hugh,

I don't know how you found a genuine 6/1 in Canada but you did it.
I think I saw one for sale about 6 years ago and it sold in 1 day.
Cherish it.
Did you give it a clean and polish lately? Are you taking good care of it?   ;D

Hugh Conway:
@ Veggie
Re the Dursley 6/1....It is a start-o-matic. I didn't find it in Canada though......bought it from another LEF member (Oiler)in Denmark. The shipping was not very expensive, the importation was also not very expensive.......BUT....... Customs guys in Montreal said it was dirty, so sent it out to be cleaned before allowing it to enter. That was costly. Oiler put a couple of nice Danish beers in one of the control boxes. Customs guys , or likely the "cleaners" kept the beer though it should have been allowed. Never the less, it's now sitting on a big concrete pad in my shop which it will eventually power. I removed all the start-o-matic components and belted it up to another Utterpower PMG.........same as with my Listeroid daily driver that's used for bat charging in winter. The Dursley got a strip down, re-sleeve on the cylinder, new bearings and rings. Re-did the fuel filter as per 38AC, and a repaint. It is far easier to hand start than my Listeroid.......a few turns of the crank and off it goes, no need for a starter.........Big flywheels and inertia, I guess.
Cheers
Hugh

dieselspanner:
Hi All

I thought I'd 'bump' this thread in support of Veggies 'Simple starter' thread.

As you can see its pretty simple, but a bit of fabrication is needed.

I still haven't got around to getting it more 'startomatic' yet, the refurb of the barn has taken off and five weeks back I got called out to  Azerbaijan on the hoverbarge project I've mentioned a time or too before.

Cheers
Stef

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version