Author Topic: SVO Generator information please  (Read 5887 times)

svo gen

• View Profile
SVO Generator information please
« on: August 07, 2006, 09:25:49 AM »
 ::)  Hello people , Im sorry i dont have a lister to talk about,  I was planeing to use one to drive my generator at home,  But after findeing out about the weight of the unit and haveing the good furtune
to find a new 6.5hp chinnese clone of a yamhar motor on a auction site ,  I and giveing the small engine a go.

So far i have tested my new engine for 5.5 hours ,  I start on diesel and then turn to veg , I also use diesel to shutodwn.  Im heating the veg on the muffler with copper pipe . Engine is aircooled.
so i need to supply air to my sound proof box as well.

My main problem is the motor makes about 98 db , I need to get this way down to run it in my garage
in town at night.   Any idears would be great.

My second problem is keeping my Veg oil runny enough to flow down my delivetry pipe.  I have added 20% diesel to it , But i need a better sollution. 

emerald

• View Profile
Re: SVO Generator information please
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2006, 12:52:46 PM »
You must heat it. Use an electrical source while the engine is cold and then swtich to an exhasut heat exchanger when the engine is up to temperature. I wont mention what temperature, this is a bone of contention among many.

Insulate your fuel lines, pump and fuel filter.

To reduce the noise many use car silencers for the exhaust. If th eengine has mechanical noise that is too much, you'll have to look at building an enclosure similar to commercial gensets. Just be wary of oil temperatures if you do this, most dont consider high oil temperatures when they enclose an engine. An external oil heat exchanger will help that. Experimentation is order of the day and keep yourself safe while you do it. Its all too easy to get comfortable around an engine after a while.

Emerald

MagnoliaJack

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2006, 03:45:45 AM »
::)  Hello people , Im sorry i dont have a lister to talk about,  I was planeing to use one to drive my generator at home,  But after findeing out about the weight of the unit and haveing the good furtune
to find a new 6.5hp chinnese clone of a yamhar motor on a auction site ,  I and giveing the small engine a go.

So far i have tested my new engine for 5.5 hours ,  I start on diesel and then turn to veg , I also use diesel to shutodwn.  Im heating the veg on the muffler with copper pipe . Engine is aircooled.
so i need to supply air to my sound proof box as well.

My main problem is the motor makes about 98 db , I need to get this way down to run it in my garage
in town at night.   Any idears would be great.

My second problem is keeping my Veg oil runny enough to flow down my delivetry pipe.  I have added 20% diesel to it , But i need a better sollution. 

I hope you have come up with a decent solution....if so, please let me know.  My experience with the faster moving chinese made air-cooled diesels is simply this:  They are loud mamas.  I have a 10 HP yanmar clone with a 6kw genny.  I run on veggie oil with a simple heat exchanger off the muffler.  My property owner's association has threatened to foreclose and move me out if I don't stop running it.  I built a sound enclosed chamber to house it with a fan to blow air through but it still overheated and shut down.  On a different setup for a friend we took a metal "box" which was approx 12 X 18 X 8 inches and welded the exhaust through it.  That dropped the sound down to around low 90's in the dB scale.  Still much too loud as far as I'm concerned but it was the best we could get. 

If you need it to be quiet then either swich to a slow speed engine or invest in a water cooled unit that can be sound dampened with a cabinet of some kind.  Or do both with a listeroid.  Update on your progress if you can.

-Jack

Rtqii

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2006, 04:47:08 AM »

I think your first problem has been pretty well covered above. As to the second:

If you had a water cooled engine I would suggest a heat exchanger setup in the oil tank to improve the flow... Since you don't have that option the other easy solution is one I employed on an oil burner furnace; increase the height of the oil tank and gravity will help increase in the oil pressure.

On my oil burner furnace I had to both increase the height of the tank, and increase the pipe diameter to get a good flow when things were cold (of course these things give the most trouble when they are most needed)...

What I ended up with was an oil tank mounted 5 feet above the furnace, and a 3/4 inch pipe coming from the tank. Near the furnace I used a pair of reducing couplings to reduce the 3/4" pipe down to 1/4 inch pipe to feed the burner.  The increased drop plus the reduction in the pipe diameter provided the hydraulic pressure to get oil to the burner on all but the coldest days. On the coldest days I had to use a propane torch to heat the line, especially at the reduction couplers, in order to get the burner to fire up. Once the burner was going and things had warmed up excessive oil flow then became the problem, and eventually I added a ball valve to the tank to control the flow... I tried a needle valve in the 1/4 inch line but my waste oil was so crappy it promptly clogged.
« Last Edit: August 20, 2006, 04:51:54 AM by Rtqii »

dkwflight

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 20, 2006, 04:58:24 AM »
Hi Perhaps converting the oil burner pump to a two pipe system would help. I would put the pickup end close to the return end. Then the returning oil would be warmer and help the flow. A solenoid valve in the discharge of the pump would control the flow on shut off.
Dennis
28/2 powersolutions JKSon -20k gen head
Still in devlopment for 24/7 operation, 77 hours running time