Author Topic: HELP WITH LISTER ST2A 14 H.P.  (Read 6255 times)

AdeV

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: HELP WITH LISTER ST2A 14 H.P.
« Reply #15 on: April 05, 2020, 12:12:13 AM »

Are the batteries mounted solidly - with maybe a rubber section underneath to isolate then from the cold floor ...

Ooh - good point. Definitely make sure the batteries are not sitting on a cold concrete floor in sub-zero temperatures, they REALLY don't like that (for some reason). Putting them on a pallet will insulate them well enough... makes them easy to move around too, if you've got a pallet truck!
Cheers!
Ade.
--------------
1x Lister CS Start-o-Matic (complete, runs)
0x Lister JP4 :( - Sold to go in a canal boat.

ChrisW

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 05, 2020, 02:15:53 AM »
How cold is it when you are trying to start ?  Does it have/use heaters ? Diesel should start on the 1st or 2nd compression, if not, too cold or wrong timing or something  ???   Just my wild guesses

It can get in the low 30's but usually not much lower, it had snowed the night before I had the problem....I did think about having a propane heater on hand to warm up the generator room for such occassions....before I start checking the timing, I want to just get battery, fuel and oil all fresh and primed.

When you say 1st or 2nd compression, is that equivalent to a rotation? Since I start the machine remotely from the cabin, I am not at the machine to see how quick it is turning over, but it can take 4-6 seconds of holding the toggle switch before I can hear the generator actually start...

dkmc

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 05, 2020, 03:28:45 AM »

You could do like the Indians do in the starting videos, where they hold a flaming rag soaked in diesel up to the intake manifold to preheat things. Or use a propane torch to heat the manifold a bit....safety precautions in place of course.
Machinist, fabricator, designer, fixer

mike90045

• Mendocino Metro
  • Mmmm BBQ
    • View Profile
    • Mikes Solar PV page
« Reply #18 on: April 05, 2020, 07:46:04 AM »
If you have not messed around with the timing, and are running ordinary diesel, the timing should be ok.

It takes 2 revolutions for 1 compression event.

Someone mentioned cold start pre-fuel cups or injectors - maybe they will clarify how that works.

And at some point ( 40F, 32F), the engine specs will state you need cold start assist = glow plugs, air preheat but NOT ether spray or starting spray fluid

oldgoat

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 05, 2020, 12:20:10 PM »
Cold Starters----They are a screwed in to the intake manifold and you half fill them with oil and push down on the piston that fits neatly in them. this dumps about 30 mil of oil into the piston cavity and raises the compression temporarily for a cold start.

ChrisW

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 06, 2020, 01:31:22 AM »

Are the batteries mounted solidly - with maybe a rubber section underneath to isolate then from the cold floor ...

Ooh - good point. Definitely make sure the batteries are not sitting on a cold concrete floor in sub-zero temperatures, they REALLY don't like that (for some reason). Putting them on a pallet will insulate them well enough... makes them easy to move around too, if you've got a pallet truck!

Actually, the generator has a stand for the battery that is off the ground and secure....so no problem there!

ChrisW

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 06, 2020, 01:33:30 AM »

For future Refrence information....

For  battery maintence I have been using these Buck Converters on an old household Solar panel.

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/200W-8A-DC-DC-Step-Down-Buck-Converters-Power-Supply-Module-Boards-XH-M400/372889164422?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649

They will take up to 40V and once connected to the battery and it is up to charge, simply ajust the little trimpot to the voltage you want to float the battery(s) at,  13.5, 13.8. 27V  etc.  The converter will charge them up to that level and just hold them there.

Been using this Setup on the tractor and some Garden equipment and worked fine. Recently set up some batteries with an inverter and solar Charging this way Just in case things go down hill with the power.

For battery maintence, a House panel and one of these chargers provides loads of power  and is far cheaper and more effective than the normal small solar type Chargers . This has plenty of power to drive things like monitoring and remote start equipment without the battery ever loosing any significant charge.

With a Voltage relay added, Could also drive a small sump heater to impart some warmth to the engine to stop it getting dead cold and keep moisture out.  They also come in 20 and 30 A versions which would be good for that application.

Excellent tips, thank you for that!

ChrisW

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 06, 2020, 01:47:09 AM »
Cold Starters----They are a screwed in to the intake manifold and you half fill them with oil and push down on the piston that fits neatly in them. this dumps about 30 mil of oil into the piston cavity and raises the compression temporarily for a cold start.

I've looked through all the manuals and I am not seeing any mention of cold starter. It does mention that for easy starting the "load must be disconnected from engine" What does that mean exactly? Could that be the reason the hand crank is so difficult to rotate?

ChrisW

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 06, 2020, 01:54:32 AM »
I'm not familiar with that series engine at all.
However I did just find this via google.....

http://www.winget.co.uk/document/LISTER%20ST%20WORKSHOP%20MANUAL.pdf
If this does indeed cover your unit, be sure and download it, as it is complete and a nice find.

If there's a side cover on the engine crankcase, you would remove that, and scoop out the goo. Wash with diesel fuel, rinse, repeat. It looks like a 15-40 diesel oil like Shell Rotella would be a fair choice.

Shell Rotella T6 I'm guessing?
By rinsing with diesel fuel, would I just put back the oil plug after draining the oil, fill with diesel and drain again?
There is a crankcase door on the side, which the oil filter and oil filler are located...you recommend removing that whole assembly to inspect/cleanout around the camshaft?

ChrisW

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 06, 2020, 01:59:59 AM »
Here's a pic of the gen:

dkmc

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: April 06, 2020, 02:11:28 AM »

T6 is synthetic. Its not required. RotellaT should be fine.
Any sludge or goo will be in the bottom of the sump mostly. Drain oil. Install plug. Toss in a pint or 2 and mix it all up with a paint brush. Drain. Repeat. If the upper areas look dingy, spray them down with a bit of aerosol Brake clean, then wash again with diesel, Kero, Mineral Spirits, Naphtha, or Paint Thinner........any of those will work. Carb Cleaner might soften the paint, so avoid that.

If this does indeed cover your unit, be sure and download it, as it is complete and a nice find.

If there's a side cover on the engine crankcase, you would remove that, and scoop out the goo. Wash with diesel fuel, rinse, repeat. It looks like a 15-40 diesel oil like Shell Rotella would be a fair choice.

By rinsing with diesel fuel, would I just put back the oil plug after draining the oil, fill with diesel and drain again?
There is a crankcase door on the side, which the oil filter and oil filler are located...you recommend removing that whole assembly to inspect/cleanout around the camshaft?
Machinist, fabricator, designer, fixer

ChrisW

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 06, 2020, 02:18:06 AM »
Excellent, thank you!

T6 is synthetic. Its not required. RotellaT should be fine.
Any sludge or goo will be in the bottom of the sump mostly. Drain oil. Install plug. Toss in a pint or 2 and mix it all up with a paint brush. Drain. Repeat. If the upper areas look dingy, spray them down with a bit of aerosol Brake clean, then wash again with diesel, Kero, Mineral Spirits, Naphtha, or Paint Thinner........any of those will work. Carb Cleaner might soften the paint, so avoid that.