Author Topic: Need help identifying engine  (Read 2635 times)

guest23837

Need help identifying engine
« on: April 03, 2020, 02:06:52 PM »
Gentlemen, I bought this old Toro mower minus the carburettor for €3 dear I know. I have started it using a Honda generator carburettor so I'd like to restore it. Can anyone identify the engine model? I know it's old but as I'm on lockdown any little project would maybe make life more interesting. Thanks!

sirpedrosa

• 21NOV2019 - Finally I hear that sound... again
    • View Profile
Re: Need help identifying engine
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2020, 02:43:25 PM »
Hi JD

TORO is lawn brand. engine is stardard chinese. Put something you can find and run it. Strip it fist!

Cheers, and stay home.
VP
By order of firing up:
Bernard 18A - 1968 (mama's water pump - year of my birth)
Petter PAZ1 - Jun 1967, 3HP, sn 416xxxx
Petter PAZ1 - Nov 1979, 3HP, sn 425xxxx
Lister 12/2 - 12651227, the pearl!
Deutz MAH 914, 1952 - Zündfix in chamber and go (7Mai2023).

broncodriver99

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2020, 02:52:20 PM »
From the googling I did and what I can remember from working in a lawn mower repair shop in high school, that looks like a mid to late '80's mower. I believe that is a Toro/Suzuki engine. They had a partnership for a long tome. I believe it is a VMF5 or VMF6 engine. The Mower model should be on a sticker under the bagger discharge chute. A model from that era would be a 20624. Hope that narrows down the search some.

broncodriver99

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2020, 02:54:36 PM »

LowGear

• Casey
  • What? My diesel had fries for lunch?
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2020, 06:28:53 PM »
Is this website amazing or what?
NPR Tipper/Dump Truck
Kubota BX 2230
Witte BD Generator
SunnyBoy 6000 + SolarWorld 245

guest23837

« Reply #5 on: April 03, 2020, 06:41:04 PM »
Its pretty obvious none of you guys work in government or utilities they never reply to a question. Thanks a lot for the replies do far I'm still unsure of where to go next. A chinese generator carburettor for pennies and make new linkages or the real thing with postage from the states and import duty.. Sadly the sticker is missing on the frame and there's no marks on the engine but im pretty sure its not chinese, it started 3rd pull and its been sitting 10 years. I await further replies and thanks again you guys rock (glort rocks too sometimes)

mikenash

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 04, 2020, 12:55:48 AM »
Its pretty obvious none of you guys work in government or utilities they never reply to a question. Thanks a lot for the replies do far I'm still unsure of where to go next. A chinese generator carburettor for pennies and make new linkages or the real thing with postage from the states and import duty.. Sadly the sticker is missing on the frame and there's no marks on the engine but im pretty sure its not chinese, it started 3rd pull and its been sitting 10 years. I await further replies and thanks again you guys rock (glort rocks too sometimes)

lol

guest23837

« Reply #7 on: April 04, 2020, 08:53:47 AM »
So I have played a bit with this engine and I think a Honda lawnmower carburettor could be made to work. The generator carburettor has a vertical fuel inlet and the retaining studs are offset so the carburettor sits at a weird angle instead of level. Does anyone know anything about Honda petrol lawnmowers especially the distance between carburettor bolt holes. ? I have Briggs carburettors but they go on the other side of the engine. Thanks

dieselspanner

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 04, 2020, 08:03:29 PM »
Hi JD
I recently had a seized Briggs and Stratton powered little 2 kva genny landed on me, by Ramon, our local shepherd, it had no tank or carb and the linkage from the governor had disappeared as well.

The Briggs had the mounting bolts drilled at an angle of about 25 degrees.

I freed the piston off with ATF and acetone and 'honed' the bore with wet and dry.

To test it I ran it up on Angels Breath' - Start Pilot, or ether. it didn't sound too bad so I invested 9€ in a Chinese pit bike 'racing' carb, complete with a knock off K&N filter. Free post and it arrived in around 10 days, bargain!

I drilled and tapped the head M6 and ignored the 'oblique' holes

With the carb fitted the exhaust wouldn't so I fabricobbled a straight thro' pipe, to complement the racing theme and it ran lovely, and not too loud - well there's not that much noise in a 175cc flat head, is there?

I used the tank of a Loncin snowblower engine and rashered that down to the frame with self tapping tech screws. I did add an inline fuel filter, to try and get some street cred back...

As Ramon wanted it for lighting in a remote sheep barn (stone built, circa 1750) I plugged everything in and wound out a fabricobbled throttle to fix the revs at the point where the motor sounded happy and the lights were just at max output.

It's been up the hill a couple of months now, and he's not bought it back yet - anything I fix for a shepherd up here is deemed to have a lifetime guarantee, my lifetime, mind you the clocks went back last weekend and the nights are getting lighter........

As for your project I'd go with one of these

eBay item number:133164884120

Cheap and cheerful and everything is there. If you have to ovalise the holes one way or the other to make it fit the studs it won't break your heart and with the knock off air filter and dinky fuel filter it's bound to make the grade in the custom section at the (now postponed) local steam fair!

Cheers
Stef

Tighten 'til it strips, weld nut to chassis, peen stud, adjust with angle grinder.

guest23837

« Reply #9 on: April 04, 2020, 08:22:08 PM »
Good thinking Stef but a little too late I ordered the carburettor in the link below. I could have got cheaper but the seller has good feedback and he offers click and collect I dont use it but it means he's at least a uk seller. I have filed the pit bike suggestion for future use, thanks

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Carburetor-Carb-Kit-Fit-For-Honda-GCV160-GCV135-Engines-16100-Z0L-023-6212849/172865373272?epid=6021084242&hash=item283f944458:g:w7YAAOSwCCVZupTm