Lister Engines > Original Lister Cs Engines

Big funny piston rings

(1/2) > >>

mikenash:
Hi guys

Our local machinist just failed Common Sense 101 (or at least his worker did)

I bought a 5slash6/1 recently with a long history of hard work on the farm.  Bottom end started out as a 3/1 maybe in the late '30s . . .

When I tore it down it turned out to have a +40 thou alloy piston (kinda an 8/1 now i guess) and the top ring groove was pretty worn.  I managed to buy some ring groove spacers in a suitable size as the 4&1/2 inch piston size was common in Bedford trucks & some other a half-century ago

So I calculated the clearance etc for the ring+spacer, WROTE IT ON THE PISTON WITH A PICTURE and gave it to the machinist we use at work.  He as been bloody good up until now

For whatever reason, he left it to a worker to do who mistook the vertical dimension for a lateral dimension and machined what could only be called A Very Big Groove into the piston

By the time I got it back it was one of those "what's done is done" situations

His solution was to accept that the piston now has a very big ring groove and to get a Very Big Ring machined by a bloke who makes one-off piston rings . . .

See pics?

What do you guys reckon the implications are?  I'd be interested to hear from some experienced folks

Cheers

broncodriver99:
That's a very big ring. Would suit a locomotive just fine. Does your 3-5-6/1 happen to be called the Dursley Express?

On a positive note there is likely little chance you will break that ring due to a cylinder ridge.

listard-jp2:

--- Quote from: mikenash on March 28, 2020, 03:53:21 AM ---
What do you guys reckon the implications are?  I'd be interested to hear from some experienced folks

--- End quote ---

Depends alot on what sort of wear ridge you already have in the cylinder bore, and where the top edge of the top ring is now in relation to the wear ridge (if you have any bore wear).

A company called Cords piston rings (in the UK) used to make piston rings for use in worn bores, and the top ring incorporated a 'ridge dodger'

Another alternative for you to consider would be to see my ebay listing of oversize Lister CS pistons (UK manufactured)  https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/LISTER-CS-NOS-GENUINE-NOS-HEPOLITE-COVENTRY-PISTON-BACO-OVERSIZE-VA-6-1-8-1-/254185213781

mikenash:
Yes.  Good call.  No ridge - I have given it a hone and it's worn/loose but OK for an old CS

In the Current Emergency I'm not sure how internet sales are working?  However the company I work for is "essential" in the current lockdown so we have courier deliveries etc

If you wanted to look at a $$ figure inclusive of delivery to NZ for a cast +40 thou piston and rings, I'd be happy to consider it?

PM me if you like?  Appreciated.  Thanks

listard-jp2:
/\ If your interested, just do a Buy It Now on the ebay listing, and it will be shipped to you using the ebay global seller program.

No problem with ebay sales in the UK at present, sales are depressed, but are still happening.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version