Author Topic: How long does WVO last ?  (Read 179 times)

veggie

• Keep Calm and Start the Lister !
    • View Profile
How long does WVO last ?
« on: March 27, 2020, 10:46:45 PM »
I have some WVO stored in a tote for 4 years now.
I does not smell bad or "painty".
It's de-watered and filtered before being stored.
Stored outdoors in the shade and it freezes every winter.
But I fear that this stuff must have a shelf life?  ???

What's your experience with the life of WVO ?
- 6/1 GM90 Listeroid - Delco 33si Alternator
- Changfa R175 - Lease/Neville Alternator
- Kubota Z482 - 4kw
- JiangDong R165 Air cooled - 2 kw

glort

• View Profile
Re: How long does WVO last ?
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2020, 11:56:47 PM »

I just " Uncorked" a drum of the stuff I put away in 2007.  Nothing wrong with it at all. Put it in a well sealed  metal drum and filled it to the top. It was also  dried before I stored it. Water and Oxygen is what makes it go off. Like fire, take away the elements and it doesen't happen.

I have kept Filtered and dried Oil in an IBC for 2 years and that was fine too. I think metal storage is better as it keeps  light out as well.

I don't believe any oil is unuseable. I have processed some real foul Yecch but once you take the water and crap out it's always good. The thing is how much you are left with.  I don't think oil would really go off its dried and sealed for engine use.  If it did poly that can be removed with re processing.

I know some people used to add stabilisers to their oil to store it.  They are all ripoffs in my book. Yet to see ANY fuel or oil additive that did not have a majority base Ingredient as NAPTHA. I can buy a litre of that for $9 at the hardware store.  Paying $14 or $22 for a 250 Ml bottle of the stuff at 60% concentration with the rest being kero or diesel is a take.

If I thought there was a need for a preservative, I'd be adding 5% ULP to the oil.  I'm normaly against it but the Ethanol laced kind may be an advantage for that because alcohol is a disinfectant.
I would NOT add diesel because as incomprehensible to me as it is, I know Diesel can get microbe bacteria growths.
 Does not happen in petrol and certainly not in alcohol. 

veggie

• Keep Calm and Start the Lister !
    • View Profile
Re: How long does WVO last ?
« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2020, 01:58:13 PM »

Good info Glort, thanks  ;)
- 6/1 GM90 Listeroid - Delco 33si Alternator
- Changfa R175 - Lease/Neville Alternator
- Kubota Z482 - 4kw
- JiangDong R165 Air cooled - 2 kw