Puppeteer

Author Topic: I finally am generating AC on SVO  (Read 20220 times)

mobile_bob

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: I finally am generating AC on SVO
« Reply #15 on: June 21, 2006, 05:14:30 PM »
what i am going to use to try and isolate vibration are dock bumpers.

the rubber elongated pyramidal shaped rubber things they bolt to the rear of trucks and trailers so that they have a cushion when backing into a loading dock.

they come on all sizes and shapes, and i would assume densities as well, are fairly inexpesive and easy to work with.

i figure on when my floor is poored having the contractor leave 4 pockets, so that i can move my get set in place, support it off the floor, so that the dock bumpers
sit down in the floor pockets, then grout them in place, let cure, and pull out the supports.
what i hope to have is a unit that is now sitting in nice fitting sockets, and nice isolation.

it is an experiment, i got the dock bumpers surplus for 2 bucks each, so i guess we shall see

bob g
otherpower.com, microcogen.info, practicalmachinist.com
(useful forums), utterpower.com for all sorts of diy info

GuyFawkes

• View Profile
    • stuff
« Reply #16 on: June 21, 2006, 06:06:17 PM »
what i am going to use to try and isolate vibration are dock bumpers.

the rubber elongated pyramidal shaped rubber things they bolt to the rear of trucks and trailers so that they have a cushion when backing into a loading dock.

they come on all sizes and shapes, and i would assume densities as well, are fairly inexpesive and easy to work with.

i figure on when my floor is poored having the contractor leave 4 pockets, so that i can move my get set in place, support it off the floor, so that the dock bumpers
sit down in the floor pockets, then grout them in place, let cure, and pull out the supports.
what i hope to have is a unit that is now sitting in nice fitting sockets, and nice isolation.

it is an experiment, i got the dock bumpers surplus for 2 bucks each, so i guess we shall see

bob g

That will also insulate the whole unit electrically, so a nice hammered flat bit of 10mm microbore copper pipe is required...

those rubber belts can generate quite a bit of static too...
--
Original Lister CS 6/1 Start-o-matic 2.5 Kw (radiator conversion)
3Kw 130 VDC Dynamo to be added. (compressor + hyd pump)
Original Lister D, megasquirt multifuel project, compressor and truck alternator.
Current status - project / standby, Fuel, good old pump diesel.

solarguy

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 21, 2006, 07:54:21 PM »
"Intersting ideas.  Do you men happen to have any pictures of your isolation slabs or the barrel muffler?"

Just checked my file, and no, I don't have any pictures showing the slab.  I might grab a shot in the next week or so if I think of it.  No promises as I'm silly busy at the moment.

"SolarGuy, you have your engine in the basement?"

Yup.

"Is that working well for you?"

Qualified yes.  It is noisy.  We are at risk for CO poisining.  Don't do this without 1 or 2 good CO detectors.  The exhaust noise is pretty easy to deal with, but the mechanical noise is still considerable.  It wants its own soundproof room, which I hope to give it in the next house.  I had to fit a crankcase EGR workaround for the smell.  I never have to deal with cold issues, which is nice.  I use mine for cogen, so it was important to minimize piping losses to the great outdoors, and this totally solves that problem.

"Is it legal?"

Probably not.

"Does your wife mind?"

Nope.  She's a saint and tolerates all of my eccentricities amazingly well.

Finest regards,

troy

rcavictim

• Certified Generator Head and Grand Master Sparky
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 22, 2006, 03:13:09 PM »

"Is it legal?"

Probably not.

Finest regards,

troy

I am quite frankly surprised that house insulation isn`t illegal.  How did the lobbyists for the energy companies miss that opportunity?!!!
-DIY 1.5L NA VW diesel genset - 9 kW 3-phase. Co-gen, dual  fuel
- 1966, Petter PJ-1, 5 kW air cooled diesel standby lighting plant
-DIY JD175A, minimum fuel research genset.
-Changfa 1115
-6 HP Launtop air cooled diesel
-Want Lister 6/1
-Large DIY VAWT nearing completion