« Reply #90 on: April 09, 2020, 04:44:11 AM »
« Last Edit: April 09, 2020, 04:48:00 AM by snowman18 »

LowGear

• Casey
  • What? My diesel had fries for lunch?
    • View Profile
Re: C-19
« Reply #91 on: April 09, 2020, 05:55:23 PM »
Gosh Darn it.  Some of you have forgotten that getting serious on the web is just silly.  Let's share.  Let's play nice.

And
it's also not proven that it DOESN'T work
is double negative.  The Donald would be proud of you.  (And technically not possible.)  The absence of evidence is the absence of evidence and proves only that there is an absence of evidence.  See how logical double negatives are?

The big island number slowly climb but we're still under 10 active cases with no deaths or hospitalizations.
NPR Tipper/Dump Truck
Kubota BX 2230
Witte BD Generator
SunnyBoy 6000 + SolarWorld 245

dieselspanner

• View Profile
« Reply #92 on: April 09, 2020, 08:43:49 PM »
Nice one Casey!

Cheers
Stef
Tighten 'til it strips, weld nut to chassis, peen stud, adjust with angle grinder.

snowman18

• View Profile
« Reply #93 on: April 09, 2020, 08:57:20 PM »
Was expecting empty shelves.

broncodriver99

• View Profile
« Reply #94 on: April 09, 2020, 10:12:50 PM »
Was expecting empty shelves.

I wish we still had little Mom and Pop's grocery stores like that around here. I remember them from when I was a kid. Everything here now is 100,000+ sq/ft mega stores. Takes an hour just to make your way through the place.

snowman18

• View Profile
« Reply #95 on: April 23, 2020, 09:51:01 PM »
google it, it's big news.

Australian businessman Clive Palmer says his foundation has purchased 32,900,000 million doses of hydroxychloroquine,

LowGear

• Casey
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: April 24, 2020, 05:53:48 PM »
I would urge you to be careful working with synthetic drugs (most prescription drugs are synthetic) as they are usually extremely strong when compared to what humans have consumed up until the last 75 years.  Just be a bit careful.

My personal physician (I belong to a huge HMO so please read the delusion of "personal physician" with the tablespoon of salt it deserves) tried to start me on statins (SP?).  I regularly test in 160s for total cholesterol so I was curious about the advice.  "On average, statins will give you three more years of life."  As we talked I learned that was "on average".  The discussion became almost heated as I explained that I was not average and suggested she might review what "averages" really meant.  I'm not on statins and she got promoted.  Life is interesting.  I didn't inquire about the medical ethics of prescribing drugs for situations that were not investigated during the tests for licensing.

Hey!  We're up to near 30 active cases on the big island with a total of around 60 confirmed but many have moved on through the 14 day isolation program.  Did I mention the McDonalds that had 18 cases and public health didn't disclose it for three days.  It's a block from a retirement center and coffee at Mickey Ds was an afternoon ritual.  The third world is alive and well.

So any lasting changes spotted or conjured as of yet?  I'm surprised, until I think about it, that domestic violence is up.  Any good news or thoughts?
NPR Tipper/Dump Truck
Kubota BX 2230
Witte BD Generator

mikenash

• View Profile
« Reply #97 on: April 24, 2020, 09:56:13 PM »
Casey, there are obvious benefits to living on an island

Our small country could possibly be one of the first to "eliminate" the disease (apparently "eliminate" is a technical term, different to "eradicate") if we're lucky, maybe

Perhaps like yours, tourism is a big part of our economy - the single biggest earner last year - and has gone from hero to zero now of course.  People are suggesting a couple of novel solutions:

As soon as Australia gets the virus under control we should extend our "bubble" to include our neighbours - so we can have domestic tourism/travel

We should sell visas to our Safe Haven to the ultra rich for tens of millions of $$ each . . . I keep hearing stories of ultra rich folks who fear global apocalypses and already have underground bunker/mansions in rural NZ and who keep the jet on standby with the engines idling and bags packed 24/7 just in case.  Sadly, I haven't seen one myself . . .

Sadly-er, I have several people in my extended family who are social workers.  Yes, there is a rise in violence.  And there is, and will be, a rise in hunger/child poverty - a tragedy and a national disgrace in a country of plenty, especially plenty of food

A nominal individual who represents the statistics might be a small brown child of, say, ten, living with his mother & siblings in inadequate accommodation where the male in the house is probably not his father, is probably an occasionally violent drunk or methamphetamine user, and the poor wee kid's only escape, normally, was going to school where he was safe and fed and where kind people in the community would find him a pair of shoes or a warm top if he needed one.  Now they're all stuck at home with "dad"

So, yes, we are seeing an increase in domestic violence

It makes me sound like a bleeding-heart liberal, but it gives me the shits that rich folks will come through all this just fine, while poor folks will have hungry kids and will lose their jobs

LowGear

• Casey
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: April 25, 2020, 06:01:01 PM »
We're going big city.  We have finally gotten someone into the hospital with C-19.  I knew we could do it.  I did go to lunch yesterday.  We were masked and not as at ease as normal.  This is going to be a long march.

Hungry kids and infirm old people.  The first victims of rough times.  I'm not so down on the rich.  These moments are one of the reasons folks work towards wealth.  It's the high numbers of people that don't even start to get to a position of "comfort" that concern me.  Let's listen to some new approaches to wealth distribution that don't divide us into a few super winners and masses of heart breaking losers.

NPR Tipper/Dump Truck
Kubota BX 2230
Witte BD Generator

LowGear

• Casey
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: May 05, 2020, 04:14:27 PM »
Flight from Honolulu to Seattle May 1st.

No Zombies spotted but I think I'm taking a large braid of garlic next trip.

The big island of Hawaii is down to 11 active cases and the person that went to the hospital escaped the next day.
NPR Tipper/Dump Truck
Kubota BX 2230
Witte BD Generator