Author Topic: C-19  (Read 16883 times)

guest23837

Re: C-19
« Reply #45 on: April 03, 2020, 06:56:24 PM »
Doing bugger all may very well drop us right in it.

With the Current situation and the effect on the world economy, There is going to be bugger all money to put towards this CC and bugger all concern from the great majority of the worlds population from here on in for the next 5 years at least. 

That said, The doing of Bugger all by the western worlds population for the next month or 6 may have far better results than anything that was ever thought of before.

I look forward ( and hope I'm still around) to seeing the drop in Co2 levels.

The old order changeth yielding place to new And God fulfills himself in many ways Lest one good custom should corrupt the world. Tennyson
The world as we know it will be changed forever people have had to learn hard lessons and there's harder lessons ahead. One thing that will change is the attitude to China not about the virus but about the sh1t quality of their stuff. Ireland ordered €200 million plus of PPE they sent a load of crap. People will stop moaning about the cost of the NHS or similar after seeing what medics do and what sacrifices they make for others. Blowhard politicians have had their day for a few decades as have the spoofers and chancers and outright liars. The green part in Ireland has been shown to be all of that and will get the kicking they richly deserve soon as a ballot box appears.
People have started to realise technology isn't the be all and end all so hopefully the upgrade to the latest plastic crap will slow down. Staying away from others will prolong your life should also introduce a bit of self sufficiency that has long been lacking.
Nothing since the plague has been so dangerous

guest23837

« Reply #46 on: April 04, 2020, 12:34:55 AM »
I agree with most of what you said mate I would just add a couple of other changes I can see coming. One is the massive inequality in the west, loads of wealthy peoples kids were on school trips to Italy recently I believe they helped spread the virus in Ireland. When I was at school a school trip was a half day at the beach or a national monument. Cheap air flights will stop being the norm, it's  as cheap to fly return to New York from Dublin as it is to have a good meal and a night in a Dublin hotel. That's madness, of course I pay 62% tax on a gallon of paraffin aviation fuel is exempt.
I saw on the news the news this evening that the virus is ramping up in South Africa. 40 years ago, when my sister lived there the country was wealthy and there was work and opportunity. It's still technically a first world country but they have nothing and nothing to buy any supplies with, it's a disaster happening before their eyes, When this is over I imagine the survivors will be keen to get shot of the useless politicians and corruption.
America is also in a lot of trouble and it's looking bad for the people there. Again useless politicians, stupid so called pastors and "religious" making mad statements and the president trying to raise the price of oil so American shale oil will be profitable and help his re-election. PT Barnum said “Nobody ever lost a dollar by underestimating the taste of the American public.”  I think he's wrong on this occasion people will die by the bus load deaths that could have been prevented.

mikenash

• View Profile
« Reply #47 on: April 04, 2020, 01:09:20 AM »
John we have painted ourselves into a corner imho

Once upon a time the bell curve had a medium width section for poor-ish folk, a monstrous fat rump of working/middle class folks who did OK-ish and whose kids could go on a half-day school trip most years, and a wee sharp peak of millionaires

In the decades since we have bought onto the lie of privatisation+progress and this, coupled with technology (which hasn't delivered the promised Universal Three Day Working Week but has just made the folks who own the tech uber-rich), has upended the bell curve

Now it has a wide,wide,wide base of folks with nothing, a skinny, shrinking, debt-burdened middle class middle bit, and a steeple tall peak of billionaires

IMHO again, only a transformative societal change as extreme as something like a Universal Basic Income and something amounting to a partial nationalisation of essential assets will suffice

That, and getting back to making stuff that lasts and bugger the Chinese

McCarthy wanted to nuke 'em back to the 6th century back in the 50s "while we have the chance" but he was overruled (not because it was "wrong" but because it was "politically unpalatable" lol

Without the Chinese we'd have to pay $8 for our Tee shirst not $2.50.  But I'd be OK about that if lots of Kiwis had jobs with fair wages in the T-shirt factory  :-\

guest23837

« Reply #48 on: April 04, 2020, 08:28:24 AM »
Mike I agree with you. But I don't think it's too late. The model is wrong, "investors" which is another name for greedy rich people who want to get richer without any effort or production of anything have lost "confidence". That weird looking bowl haircut Zuckerberg is a billionaire from producing nothing, reselling nothing. A lot of paper wealth is built on advertising or futures nothing tangible. The UK recently left the EU and a lot of people there work in "service" and "financial service" so called industries. They produce very little tangible goods and are mostly dependant on the confidence of investors ....Ireland produces very little now too although we can still feed ourselves many countries have lost even that basic ability. It was unsustainable and like the Dutch tulip bulb frenzy built on sand and not casting sand at that.
Many western countries rely on China and other poorer countries to make stuff, do the work. That means we can have disposable clothing, cheap coffee grown by subsistence farmers and phones that cost a grand. WTF is the point? There is more awareness that the system as we know it can't go on and some politicians are offering simplistic solutions to big problems. Sadly the solutions on offer are blaming others and racism not ideas that tend be be productive. Making stuff that last, growing your own food, repairing stuff so that polluting factories are no longer needed to produce disposable goods. I have been recycling my waste for years and its getting harder and harder. Plastic bottles and containers are everywhere some aren't recyclable or made out of a combination of different plastics,, plastic film, plastic coated cardboard etc this shit isn't recyclable and it's unnecessary. It's all linked into how people are and how they live. 
Like most people  on this site I'm fairly self sufficient, I fix stuff we grow some veg, we recycle  but many people can't and just don't know how how. They are bombarded with advertising and gadgets that are supposed to make their lives easier. They are educated to be "academic" or a failure nothing practical is taught not even how to think. I see people who have to "google" everything they have no abilities and no way to remember basic things because they were never taught basic stuff like learning by rote. These are the people that are behaving stupidly during this crises, , it's unfair to call people that don't know stuff stupid but it's easy to do that.

LowGear

• Casey
  • What? My diesel had fries for lunch?
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: April 04, 2020, 07:05:19 PM »
Who will win the hearts of these new countries as they come out of this pandemic?  The sellers of "cool", "fast", "easy", "sexy" and WANT or the ideas of "self sufficiency", "local", "repairable" and of course "work"?  Kinda scary.

I think it somewhat depends on how many die.  And how soon the next one hits.  It's like using the same plans to build a replacement house of one that burned or flooded.  Unless you want to experience another chapter of what put your back up against the wall you have to make a few changes.

I still shop a bit at Walmart.  I admire their training program.  Will they start shopping the world?  Will governments start requiring a certain percentage of goods be manufactured in the home country?  Will the wild pony / work horse market economy start getting some stronger bridles?  Let's not shoot the horse because the barn burned down.

Stay tuned boys and girls for next weeks show.  New settings?  New stars? 

I have only been off the farm twice in the last week (further than I can walk) and it looks like I may be in full hermit mode this coming few weeks.  Can you imagine being trapped in an apartment in a 250 apartment complex?  Well, I'm going over to another channel now to see how much of Rome burned last night. 

Aloha,

PS:  The big island still has less than 20 active cases and has yet to have someone put in the hospital for C-19.
NPR Tipper/Dump Truck
Kubota BX 2230
Witte BD Generator
SunnyBoy 6000 + SolarWorld 245

guest23837

« Reply #50 on: April 04, 2020, 07:55:51 PM »
Who will win the hearts of these new countries as they come out of this pandemic?  The sellers of "cool", "fast", "easy", "sexy" and WANT or the ideas of "self sufficiency", "local", "repairable" and of course "work"?  Kinda scary.

I think it somewhat depends on how many die.  And how soon the next one hits.  It's like using the same plans to build a replacement house of one that burned or flooded.  Unless you want to experience another chapter of what put your back up against the wall you have to make a few changes.

I still shop a bit at Walmart.  I admire their training program.  Will they start shopping the world?  Will governments start requiring a certain percentage of goods be manufactured in the home country?  Will the wild pony / work horse market economy start getting some stronger bridles?  Let's not shoot the horse because the barn burned down.

Stay tuned boys and girls for next weeks show.  New settings?  New stars? 

I have only been off the farm twice in the last week (further than I can walk) and it looks like I may be in full hermit mode this coming few weeks.  Can you imagine being trapped in an apartment in a 250 apartment complex?  Well, I'm going over to another channel now to see how much of Rome burned last night. 

Aloha,

PS:  The big island still has less than 20 active cases and has yet to have someone put in the hospital for C-19.

Things won't return to the way they were. Things changed drastically after the black death and a century after that the enlightenment began. Interestingly the plague came west from China along the old trade routes. Between those 2 events the peasant revolt occurred it also ended indentured servants basically slaves that worked for their food and board to a local baron or lord. Might not be those type of changes but lord Zukerberg, lord Bezos et al might have things to worry about in future.

snowman18

• View Profile
« Reply #51 on: April 04, 2020, 08:12:55 PM »

guest23837

« Reply #52 on: April 04, 2020, 08:26:26 PM »
Is that load of bollocks some conspiracy nonsense?

mikenash

• View Profile
« Reply #53 on: April 04, 2020, 08:32:16 PM »

Things won't return to the way they were. Things changed drastically after the black death and a century after that the enlightenment began. Interestingly the plague came west from China along the old trade routes. Between those 2 events the peasant revolt occurred it also ended indentured servants basically slaves that worked for their food and board to a local baron or lord. Might not be those type of changes but lord Zukerberg, lord Bezos et al might have things to worry about in future.

John, I hope you're right and I'm wrong.  But it worries me that the power of entrenched interests won't be shaken without a BIG upheaval and that they'll just Bounce Right Back

I guess we'll see.  I might go buy a couple cases of beans and maybe a few thousand rounds of .308 lol

guest23837

« Reply #54 on: April 04, 2020, 08:47:04 PM »
People power Mike the thing most politicians fear. 40% of Irish people don't vote politicians love that. If the people decide that they want some particular direction for the country then that's what has to happen. I don't know where you live or how things are there but Ireland is a wealthy enough country with full employment until recently. People with reasonable jobs sleeping in cars because there are no places to rent or buy. 50 kids in a classroom lousy roads everything you want to buy costs way more here than anywhere else in Europe and the politicians keep referring to their God the markets. Their god seems to have feet and legs of clay. People aren't totally stupid (I hope)

broncodriver99

• View Profile
« Reply #55 on: April 05, 2020, 08:45:44 AM »
Is that load of bollocks some conspiracy nonsense?

Sure sounds like it to me. Then again I have been drinking Jameson all night. Not that that has anything to do with anything. I still think you are correct.

guest23837

« Reply #56 on: April 05, 2020, 08:52:40 AM »
broncodriver99 I much prefer the corn whiskey your country produces to Jamieson I think it would take the paint off a gate!

mikenash

• View Profile
« Reply #57 on: April 05, 2020, 09:21:46 AM »
People power Mike the thing most politicians fear. 40% of Irish people don't vote politicians love that. If the people decide that they want some particular direction for the country then that's what has to happen. I don't know where you live or how things are there but Ireland is a wealthy enough country with full employment until recently. People with reasonable jobs sleeping in cars because there are no places to rent or buy. 50 kids in a classroom lousy roads everything you want to buy costs way more here than anywhere else in Europe and the politicians keep referring to their God the markets. Their god seems to have feet and legs of clay. People aren't totally stupid (I hope)

John, you could be talking about New Zealand - which is where I live.  Very similar in many ways - even culturally up until recently; these days kinda Irish with Polynesian influences lol

People SAY they're not happy with things but getting them to vote for change is hard - especially when there are a few options offering change - which makes it easy for vested-interest big parties to do divide-and-rule

Our Prime Minister Jacinda Adern has done great stuff (imho) with the Covid, and she has become something of a player on the World Stage in a small way.  Last election she had a coalition with the Greens and a Centrist party,  This time we might even get a majority Labour government and, if there was public will, substantial changes could be put in place?

My fear is that the great unwashed, as soon as this shit is lifted, will flock to the Warehouse and the pub, breathe a collective sigh of relief and go back to buying plastic consumer crap, watching the Telly and drinking beer

Makes me sound like a goddamn snob - sorry

guest23837

« Reply #58 on: April 05, 2020, 12:43:22 PM »
Mike maybe both of our countries will emerge better places after this. Both being Island economies we import container loads of rubbish every day. This virus is killing people the lack of disposable plastic crap isn't having much effect. People can learn to live without constant consumption. People are doing stuff they haven't being doing in this country for years, interacting with family and helping each other more.

LowGear

• Casey
  • What? My diesel had fries for lunch?
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: April 05, 2020, 06:21:29 PM »
I don't think the flat earthers will make much headway as a result of this temporary inconvenience but there will be changes for sure.  The British courts were loading the New World with indentured servants right up to the US revolutionary war.  The plague has over a 50% death rate when untreated.  That's at least 50 times greater than this scary inconvenience we're going through now. 

Is Australia better off or not now that the government doesn't require 50% of replacement parts on autos be manufactured in Australia?  I think we'll see some seeds similar to this happen in countries that actually hear the wake up call.

Have you noticed the air quality pictures.  At least we know have good evidence that bad air is our work and not a natural cycle caused by a wobbly planet or star.  Don't we?

Wow snowman18.  I didn't realize what an old stick in the mud conservative I am until I read your eye popping post.  Thanks.  I'll be sending them to a couple of friends that call me libratardacaded. 
NPR Tipper/Dump Truck
Kubota BX 2230
Witte BD Generator
SunnyBoy 6000 + SolarWorld 245