Author Topic: C-19  (Read 16898 times)

sirpedrosa

• 21NOV2019 - Finally I hear that sound... again
    • View Profile
Re: C-19 - more petrol to the fire
« Reply #15 on: March 26, 2020, 08:47:28 AM »
To whom It May Concern

Beautiful ... low the level, but interest goes up ... a lot.

Stay safe all.
VP
By order of firing up:
Bernard 18A - 1968 (mama's water pump - year of my birth)
Petter PAZ1 - Jun 1967, 3HP, sn 416xxxx
Petter PAZ1 - Nov 1979, 3HP, sn 425xxxx
Lister 12/2 - 12651227, the pearl!
Deutz MAH 914, 1952 - Zündfix in chamber and go (7Mai2023).

guest23837

Re: C-19
« Reply #16 on: March 26, 2020, 09:24:59 AM »
Or demand for new stuff made cheaply by people on crap wages is the reason why China got to its position as a manufacturing juggernaut. Who in the UK or America or any western style country will work in poor conditions for subsistence wages? Many western economies are based on "service" or value add economise they make very little because it's expensive to do so. Anyone that plays with Honda small engines knows that Chinese copy parts often cost less than the postage does for genuine parts.
If manufacturing is outsourced to China in their bizarre economic system only a very few get wealthy and the vast majority stay poor. It would take huge change in every country to change this. Starting with making things that can be repaired, removing built in obsolescence, and most of all reduce the desire of big western based companies to make more profit over and over selling the same things repeatedly to the same people. Razor blades I can understand but phones, televisions, cars furniture every blood thing has to be replaced or upgraded regularly and done on the cheap. We pay or have better quality long lasting stuff made locally.
The factories that are closed and the cars driving people to them were often making stuff that's not needed. That has really reduced emissions. Maybe this virus will act as a wake up call? We think we are in control but the control tenuous at best. Lifestyles have to change. Most of the people on this site seem to reuse recycle and restore stuff but it's all OLD stuff. We need to go back to that quality.
Anyone who thinks a politician has the answers is sadly mistaken.

LowGear

• Casey
  • What? My diesel had fries for lunch?
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 26, 2020, 05:09:48 PM »
Gosh, this is great.  All you lads pulling together, speaking softly of and to one another.  (No sticks on the internet for quasi-civilized folk.)  I didn't realize this thread was going to bring the best out of some of you.  Mr?  I'm the pillar of salt.  Pure, wholesome, wise and all that other stuff delusions are made from.

Obviously sane, well thought out positions and beliefs just aren't going to get us all on the same train of thought.  And I'm thinking being nasty isn't part of unification code either.  So what could the answer be?  Perhaps if we tone down our rhetoric and consider that most of these differences are just that.  Just differences.  I'm thinking most all of us keep pretty busy trying to make our and our family of friends and relatives comfortable and safe.  That most of us are frustrated by awkward and "stupid" behavior and talk but can't accept that there always has and will be people that just aren't onboard.  I'm trying to get over it.  It's really hard. 

Would a couple of you try to join me in just laughing about how mistaken our friends and neighbors are.  I'm not asking you to accept or believe their misguided fumbles at wisdom but rather to just smile and realize there is more than one that might think the same about you. 

NPR Tipper/Dump Truck
Kubota BX 2230
Witte BD Generator
SunnyBoy 6000 + SolarWorld 245

LowGear

• Casey
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 26, 2020, 05:20:39 PM »
Glort, glort, glort.

Need I confess again that I don't read all of the sentences in the many paragraphs of your unique posts.  I joke about my slow progress at dementia and lifelong reading skills but truth be told your just too pure for me sometimes.  I do admire your letting the laundry hang out there in the front yard but sometimes it's even more redundant than my greeny tree hugging idealistic rubbish.

Most of the great thinkers are remembered for their concise truths rather than their long winded often unread diarrhetic conglomerations.  Preach on brother!
NPR Tipper/Dump Truck
Kubota BX 2230
Witte BD Generator

guest23837

« Reply #19 on: March 26, 2020, 09:41:14 PM »
On some forums you can ignore people and their posts dont show when you are on the site.....A possibility! After all the Luddites had their wasted day in the sun

mikenash

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 27, 2020, 07:55:15 AM »
Or demand for new stuff made cheaply by people on crap wages is the reason why China got to its position as a manufacturing juggernaut. Who in the UK or America or any western style country will work in poor conditions for subsistence wages? Many western economies are based on "service" or value add economise they make very little because it's expensive to do so. Anyone that plays with Honda small engines knows that Chinese copy parts often cost less than the postage does for genuine parts.
If manufacturing is outsourced to China in their bizarre economic system only a very few get wealthy and the vast majority stay poor. It would take huge change in every country to change this. Starting with making things that can be repaired, removing built in obsolescence, and most of all reduce the desire of big western based companies to make more profit over and over selling the same things repeatedly to the same people. Razor blades I can understand but phones, televisions, cars furniture every blood thing has to be replaced or upgraded regularly and done on the cheap. We pay or have better quality long lasting stuff made locally.
The factories that are closed and the cars driving people to them were often making stuff that's not needed. That has really reduced emissions. Maybe this virus will act as a wake up call? We think we are in control but the control tenuous at best. Lifestyles have to change. Most of the people on this site seem to reuse recycle and restore stuff but it's all OLD stuff. We need to go back to that quality.
Anyone who thinks a politician has the answers is sadly mistaken.

There have been legal arguments, I believe, in America, which have forced car manufacturers (kicking & screaming) to allow vehicles to be serviced by their owners rather than obliging owners to take them to the dealer?  Also, I think, legislation around making some classes of appliances "repairable"

It used to be that you had to buy a $40 battery for your phone every couple years - now it's a new $1500 phone every couple years.  Perhaps folks are beginning to have "had enough"

When I first heard of the Chinese virus I briefly harboured a hope it would reduce the population of China to, say, three or four hundred?  Sure we'd have to pay more for our T-shirts, but we'd have to start making stuff for ourselves again.  I'd be OK paying $20 for a T-shirt instead of $3 if the extra $17 was going to supporting a manufacturing industry in NZ rather than one in which Kiwis are paid to clean the floors & toilets in Chinese-owned tourist hotels and are told to call it "progress" and "good"

mikenash

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 27, 2020, 08:02:50 AM »

"  Would a couple of you try to join me in just laughing about how mistaken our friends and neighbors are.  I'm not asking you to accept or believe their misguided fumbles at wisdom but rather to just smile and realize there is more than one that might think the same about you."

Casey, you're a prince

Y'know, down here at the Bottom of the World we're short of plastic face-mask thingies for doctors & front-line medical staff.  Someone figured out you could just 3-D print 'em and put the template out on the net.  So this morning there are folks turning up at hospital doors with boxes of the things and just handing them over . . .

That's what I like

guest23837

« Reply #22 on: March 27, 2020, 05:50:11 PM »
I was talking to a guy today who told me straight faced, that the C19 virus was created in China as a form of population control. He also thinks that as they "created" the virus they have the cure/antidote/vaccine. Luckily for humanity he just sells lawnmower parts.
Thats a good story Mike a similar thing has happened in my local hospital in Navan they got loads of boxes of gloves donated. Also a local guy that breaks and restores tractors donated a load of masks and disposable boiler suits. People do pull together.
Thats very true about the phone batteries too it's madness to have to dump anything over a battery.

veggie

• Keep Calm and Start the Lister !
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 29, 2020, 03:41:50 PM »

I thought this one was quite funny...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kPlR9n_6uas
- 6/1 GM90 Listeroid - Delco 33si Alternator
- Changfa R175 - Lease/Neville Alternator
- JiangDong R165 Air cooled - 2 kw
- Changfa S195 (Waiting for a project)

LowGear

• Casey
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 30, 2020, 01:18:08 AM »
Hey Veggie,

Two thumbs up from this house.

We're up to six on the big island, Hawaii.

NPR Tipper/Dump Truck
Kubota BX 2230
Witte BD Generator

LowGear

• Casey
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: March 31, 2020, 03:53:32 AM »
Well, Six minutes in and not quite half way there I knew who wrote it.
NPR Tipper/Dump Truck
Kubota BX 2230
Witte BD Generator

mikenash

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 31, 2020, 09:02:35 AM »
I did listen to the first couple of minutes, Casey

LowGear

• Casey
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: March 31, 2020, 04:11:24 PM »
This is a wake up call for many people.  I think we're going to see some pretty significant changes in Western lifestyle people.  Facing mortality is just a first step.

Shall we put our little gracy cells together and see if we can predict those changes?

Less or more risk taking? "I could be dead from a virus in two weeks.  Yeah, give me that rock climbing gear."

"Money in the stock market?  It all just runs away when times get tough."

Conservation? 

Eating meat?

Will we move our manufacturing base back to this country? 

Political winners / losers?

NPR Tipper/Dump Truck
Kubota BX 2230
Witte BD Generator

sirpedrosa

• 21NOV2019 - Finally I hear that sound... again
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: March 31, 2020, 05:33:54 PM »
Hi Casey

You got the point fast!

Cheers, and stay safe.
VP
By order of firing up:
Bernard 18A - 1968 (mama's water pump - year of my birth)
Petter PAZ1 - Jun 1967, 3HP, sn 416xxxx
Petter PAZ1 - Nov 1979, 3HP, sn 425xxxx
Lister 12/2 - 12651227, the pearl!
Deutz MAH 914, 1952 - Zündfix in chamber and go (7Mai2023).

guest23837

« Reply #29 on: March 31, 2020, 09:30:38 PM »
The virus moved from China to the west probably because of trade between them and most countries are finding it hard to cope. These countries have advanced medical systems. it will move on to Africa, the middle east and countries where there is poverty, refugee camps, corruption and superstition. They don't have a chance, Ireland is struggling now America is out of it's depth it would be devastating to an impoverished country.
Glort why not settle a few scores today or better still bury the hatchet. Takes balls to do both.....