Author Topic: Lister LR2 first smoke  (Read 2741 times)

Willw

• View Profile
Lister LR2 first smoke
« on: March 21, 2020, 07:21:31 PM »
Hi guys, earlier this week I got to hear my LR2 run for the first time. It is a project I had started some 5 or 6 years ago that I had shelved for several years incomplete.
I recently fixed a ST2 for a customer, and I acquired an LR1 as part payment. All of this got me in the mood so I dragged out the LR2 and I refused to quit until I had it running reasonably well.

For those interested:

As purchased https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oADyLEl5ldM

Running https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zXQBZ1JOmg8
Daily driver '97 GMC W4 tipper on WVO/Kerosene mix.
6/1 clone standby generator.
Too many projects.

mikenash

• View Profile
Re: Lister LR2 first smoke
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2020, 09:29:35 PM »
Will, you have a great-looking yard full of stuff  :)

Willw

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2020, 10:33:53 PM »
Yep, no shortage of worthwhile projects here...and that's only what's outside. I work outside on the old trailer because there is no room inside. Sad part is that it's not often I get to work on my own stuff. These days I mostly repair concrete mixers for customers and do deliveries with my GMC tipper.
When I have time to spare I usually spend it on my own mixers which are a source of rental income that I am trying to expand.
Projects like the LR2 while enjoyable, I consider to be frivolous since they are not practical for anything I need and do not earn money. So at any given time I am in the middle of 1 or 2 customers jobs and if I am waiting on parts for those I try to put in some time on a practical and a frivolous project for myself.
Living on an island with no real parts dealerships you either import your own stock or risk getting ripped off by local sources. I usually import my own which means either you waste a lot of time waiting on parts or you work on several projects at once, and complete whichever you get parts for first.
Example of getting ripped: I can get a chinese carb for a honda GX390 on EBay for about $15.00; that same carb here is sold for over $150.00!
So I import my own and sell them to the customer for less than that guy. Result: the customer is happy and I make a few extra dollars as well.

Too many projects.

mikenash

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2020, 02:59:56 AM »
Yes, I understand.  I spent a few hours in the workshop today.  In my job I have access to several tonnes annually of oil which is a waste-product in our industry.  It's effectively a drive-gearbox lube for high-torque/low speed applications, so it's heavy - especially in the cold

But it has no combustion by-products, unlike a lot of other "waste" oils, so I'm pottering away at trying to build a clean, drip-feed, oil-burner to exploit it for heating.  My boss doesn't like anyone doing "perks" in the workshop - so time is limited, sadly

What island are you on, Will.  I'm in New Zealand - so I understand some of your issues

Cheers

cobbadog

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2020, 03:53:49 AM »
Thanks for posting those videos Willw, they are great. You did a nice job on it and well done.
Coopernook - the centre of our Universe.

dieselspanner

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 22, 2020, 11:16:07 AM »
Hi Will

Nice job, I fully understand the 'frivolous' thing, I console myself with the phrase 'Man cannot live by bread alone'.......

You don't have to live on an island to get overcharged in a big way, here at the bottom end of France the local tractor/chainsaw/garden machinery spares and repair shop does it quite adequately without the need to relocate overseas!

Like yourself I try to plan ahead and 'eBay' as much as possible, even with carriage service kits for cars are 50/60% cheaper and CAV 296 type filters (Land Rover, Lister and tractor) are 20% if you buy a dozen or so at a time.

Amazon can sometime be even cheaper.

I do hope the Brexit finale won't put the tin hat on it.

Cheers
Stef
Tighten 'til it strips, weld nut to chassis, peen stud, adjust with angle grinder.

Willw

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 22, 2020, 05:01:57 PM »
Hi Mikenash: Good for you with the oil burner for heating. That oil sounds like it might be a candidate for diluting with kerosene or similar.
 If you had something to dilute it with maybe you could burn it in your engine as well?
 I keep approximately 200 gallons of WVO on hand for use in my truck and 6/1 clone generator.
I'm on Grand Cayman Island; I would love to visit New Zealand someday.

Hi Dieselspanner: I like that phrase, I have to keep it in mind. I don't know how Brexit is going to factor in but that Covid19 virus has me very concerned. Yes, EBay and Amazon are our friend.

Thanks to all for your comments and I'm glad you liked the videos.

Too many projects.

cobbadog

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 23, 2020, 12:12:42 AM »
If you ever get the chance to visit the "Land of the Long White Cloud" (N.Z.) you certainly will enjoy it. Been there years back and it is a stunning place with almost every kind of geological feature you could look for.
Coopernook - the centre of our Universe.

Willw

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 05, 2020, 01:11:53 AM »
Hi Glort, Mikenash said the oil is especially heavy when it's cold, which I took to mean it's very thick. I suggested diluting it with kerosene for use in his engine if it's too thick for that purpose.
Nothing to do with oil burners other than commenting on his.

Too many projects.

mikenash

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 05, 2020, 09:05:42 AM »
Hey guys, I appreciate all the input

The oil in question is a proprietary product - Valley Irrigation V-lube which is an 85-140

We use about 50-100 litres a day for six months of the year changing oils in the drive gearboxes of pivot irrigators.  Its main property - apart from being thick and a bastard to get off clothing - is that is has wear--resistant additives designed for low-speed, high-load applications and some other additive that excludes water from it magnificently

Last week I welded a 40mm BSP socket into the side of a 200 litre drum about 150/200mm above the base, with the thought that if I filled a few drums like that and just "wrote off" the bottom 30-odd litres after letting it stand for a year or two - the top 7/8th might be close to "clean"

Just a couple hours ago I went into work and laid a drum of waste oil flat on the forks of the forklift and lifted it up and decanted it into my drum-with-bung.  When it came to tilting the forks forward to get the last of the oil out - it suddenly ran thin for a moment then just clean water.  In whatever way it does it - it does a great job of being anti-hygroscopic

Anyway, where I'm at now is I want a drip-feed, non fan-driven, non-spray-nozzle oil-burner (off grid, see?)

I have watched maybe 50 vids on you tube about these - design features, pitfalls, mistakes . . . and, rightly or wrongly I think I have a handle on the functioning & the airflow and maybe some of the pitfalls - possibly even learning from others' mistakes rather than making them myself which is out of character

Anyway, I've made one in three big bits - heavy steel mostly 10mm and pipe with 5.5mm wall - no cost at all just from bits in our pipework workshop, and have made a stand thingie so I can mount it outside my shed in the Bay of Plenty whenever Mr Covid and Ms Jacinda let me go up there (after mowing the goddamn lawns which will be knee high).  I figure I can run it and tinker and curse and refine etc until I get it as right-ish as I can - then maybe make a "nice" one to fit in the shed (or maybe just use that one as I get lazy and don't do "nice" very well anyway

See short vid . . .

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ryItHmcBz7c

There's a million variants of this Ozzirt thing and I have built something based on that with, hopefully, fittings to control air to the pot, the secondary burner bit and , possibly, a tertiary air intake if there are still particles to burn further up

ANYWAY - excuse me writing a novel here - they work on the principle (oversimplifying here) that if you drip oil onto something red hot - then the resultant fumes/vapour are flammable

So, first, I need to have a play to get it working with ordinary waste oil.  then, once I'm comfy with that, try with the heavy oil

It may burn just the same as any other oil once it hits something red hot?  I guess we'll see

Thanks for all the inputs

mikenash

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 05, 2020, 09:12:00 AM »
Apologies - that has nothing to do with the LR2 whatsoever :-\