Author Topic: AIr Cooled Chinese L186 Diesel Injector Pump R&R  (Read 6034 times)

veggie

• Keep Calm and Start the Lister !
    • View Profile
AIr Cooled Chinese L186 Diesel Injector Pump R&R
« on: March 11, 2020, 08:04:21 PM »
Far anyone who is planning to replace an injector pump or modify the injection timing by adjusting the shim pack thickness you may find this helpful.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a1ZrAAYGt40
- 6/1 GM90 Listeroid - Delco 33si Alternator
- Changfa R175 - Lease/Neville Alternator
- JiangDong R165 Air cooled - 2 kw
- Changfa S195 (Waiting for a project)

oldgoat

• View Profile
Re: AIr Cooled Chinese L186 Diesel Injector Pump R&R
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2020, 11:29:04 AM »
Classy mechanic.  Doing up injection fittings with multigrips and bending injection pipes

dax021

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2020, 07:11:35 AM »
Was also the first thing that i noticed.  What a wanker.

veggie

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2020, 11:06:13 PM »
Agreed, very simplistic

veggie

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 15, 2020, 02:51:42 PM »

So these engine are only running only 12 to 14 degrees advance according to that manual.
I would have thought they would run 18 to 20 like most diesels I am familiar with.
I suppose the short stroke has something to do with it.
It doesn't explain why they knock an hammer so much.

Glort, from your experience, where is a good zone to target in order to quiet them down?
Something like 9 to 11 degrees?

guest18

« Reply #6 on: March 15, 2020, 09:52:37 PM »
I just looked at this and the specs printed in the Yanmar manual might not work for the Chinese clones.
I’m looking in my owners manual for my clones and it reads as follows:

Initial angle of fuel delivery
170F & 178F———21 degrees + or - 1 degree
186F———————22 degrees + or - 1 degree

I assume its BTDC

It seems like the specs in my manual is more in line with the norm.
12 to 14 degrees seem to be incorrect for the clones. It might have something to do with how the injector pump and injector are set up on the Yanmar engines.

I know most diesels had the timing bumped up 1 or 2 degrees to help with emissions, but 8 or 10 degrees up from 12 or 14 degrees seems excessive. I just don’t understand why Yanmar posted these numbers. I just don’t know, I’m just guessing. We probably won’t know until both identical displacement Yanmar and clone engines are blueprinted to see what the differences are.

It seems like the Yanmar and clone engine pump pressures are the same. (200 Kafka/cm2)

I guess the safest way is to do a fuel time test on the clones first to see where it is before re-timing the pump.

veggie

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 15, 2020, 11:33:04 PM »

Good catch hwew. I personally have only seen numbers in the 18 - 20 range.
(Except for the advanced computer controlled variable timing automotive diesel engines. VW, BMW, Merc)

guest18

« Reply #8 on: March 16, 2020, 01:38:54 AM »

Good catch hwew. I personally have only seen numbers in the 18 - 20 range.
(Except for the advanced computer controlled variable timing automotive diesel engines. VW, BMW, Merc)

I’ve seen numbers from 17 to 25.5 degrees BTDC on stationary diesels. Never 12 to 14.

To be safe, I would pull off the air shroud and do a fuel spill test on the injector pump to see where the engine is timed. If it’s at 21 shim the pump to 18 and give it a try. If it starts ok, runs good and seems to have good power without smoking try retarding it more. Eventually you will reach the point where you will notice loss of power, white smoke and possibly rough running. I’m curious, and want to check timing on one of my engines but I won’t be ready until the engine is mounted.

guest18

« Reply #9 on: March 16, 2020, 01:08:49 PM »
I’m more concerned about reducing stress on bearings, rods, crank, pistons... Since I’m going to be running the engine below 3100 or 2600 rpm. I’m thinking of a possibility of using the ST-10 head along with the heavy 8 groove pulleys. I’m hoping to get 2400 watts continuous to 3600  watts surge out of the unit. The engine will be spinning lots of inertia while working to keep it at a speed below max rated speed I want to reduce additional stress some. I remember reading in a Kohler/Hatz air cooled diesel engine service manual about 9 years ago. It mentioned that thicker head gaskets are available. I’m thinking that installing a thicker head gasket on engines with high inertia loads should help reduce stress caused by spinning loads that have high inertia at lower RPM’s.

One good example of high inertia loads on a piece of power equipment is a small home owners gas powered wood chipper. It takes a long time to spin up to rated speed right after starting. And than the engine is subjected to constant abuse when pushing branches through and constantly slowing down the engine below it’s running speed. This is hard on any engine.

guest18

« Reply #10 on: March 16, 2020, 06:00:21 PM »
I answered in Blue.

to help reduce stress caused by spinning loads that have high inertia.

This makes no sense to me at all.
The whole concept of CS listers is a large, heavy flywheel and slow speed. Some people put extra flywheels on to reduce flicker. If does not matter if it's the flywheel or rotating mass of the load, they have high inertia as do all of the traditional type generators like you want to use.  Never heard of anyone saying they cause " additional stress" ?  Additional to what exactly over any other load??
Any additional weight/mass causes additional stress.

Never heard of anyone complaining about inertia on a generator before. It's the lack of it that gives problems. Your partly right. It’s also dependent how fast an engine is able to respond to a load. Some generators have aluminum flywheels and they do just fine. Some Fairbanks Morse generators with  Wisconsin engines had aluminum flywheels.  That's what gives reactive power and why heavy engines with large flywheels like listers are so well thought of. It is in fact the best thing you can have on a generator.  It's what STOPS them bogging down when heavy loads are dumped on them and voltage sag which the engine then tends to over fuel on when the governor gives it everything to get the revs back up.
And trust me, These engines WILL over fuel when bogged down.  That's what causes stress not rotating mass!

I also strongly question the idea of using 2 head gaskets to reduce compression. Did I say I was going to use two head gaskets? I’m sorry I was not detail enough. I was referring to a head gasket a couple of a thousands thicker if needed to get piston to head clearance correct. I’ve found some engines with not enough clearance. With the Clones it’s probably best to check clearance to make sure it’s within spec.  That is widely known in engineering/ mechanical circles to be hackery and a very bad practice. No idea why you would want to reduce compression on a diesel? Would only make for harder starting for one thing and have great potential for poorer combustion... particularly if you were thinking of burning veg, Bio or WMO.  They are all harder to light off and the more compression the better.

Also Gaskets are meant for sealing, not adding length to Cylinders. need to add or delete cylinder length by gasket size to get piston to head clearance correct.

If you want to reduce the speed of an engine then you have to derate the power as well. What engine are you intending to run? Your correct, yes you have to derate the engine to operate at a lower speed.
An ST 10 is an over sized generator for a 178 to a 186 so you would want to be more concerned about limiting the load on the head to stop  stressing the engine rather than the rotating mass. Did you read that I’m hoping to get 2400 watts continuous to 3600  watts surge? 
In any case if you are belt driving the head there is an amount of slip and cushioning in the belt so really not sure what you are concerned about?? Read about my concerns in the very beginning of my post. We all know the Chinese clones have a history of failure in one from or another. Is it too much to make sure the engines tolerances are within spec? One thing I try to avoid is guessing.

Weren't you all Gung ho about some Briggs twin a while back on a generator and thought that was the best thing sliced bread? Does this have anything to do about this topic? What brought this up?
Seem to remember you wouldn't permit a less than glowing comment about it. It must of been some negative comment that someone wrote. Some people can be too abrasive and disrespectful when posting comments about a persons topic. Such behavior is frowned upon.
What happened to that thing?? Don’t need it. Gave it to my brother to help him start his ST-7.5 generator project. It’s coming along fine.

Hope this helps clear things up.

By the way, I shipped the Briggs out last Friday.

AdeV

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 16, 2020, 07:11:35 PM »

to help reduce stress caused by spinning loads that have high inertia.

This makes no sense to me at all.
The whole concept of CS listers is a large, heavy flywheel and slow speed. Some people put extra flywheels on to reduce flicker. If does not matter if it's the flywheel or rotating mass of the load, they have high inertia as do all of the traditional type generators like you want to use.  Never heard of anyone saying they cause " additional stress" ?  Additional to what exactly over any other load??

I think I can see what Henry is getting at - the high inertia will resist the power stroke, which means the rods and bearings are seeing maximum stress - from combustion pressure - for longer, than a lower inertia, free-er revving engine. Which, I suspect, is partially why Listers are built like brick sh*thouses; materials analysis was a new thing back when the CS was designed, if it even existed at all, so better over-built than under...

There is a, possibly apocryphal, story about the development of the RR Merlin engine; during the early tests, they'd run the shit out of an engine until it broke. They'd then beef up the bit that broke, and re-run the tests, until something else broke instead. Then they'd beef up that bit... Rinse and repeat many many times, and you end up with an - almost literally - bulletproof engine, which, as we know, went on to worldwide well deserved fame. I doubt the CS went through much of that; they'd just build it waaaay big enough in the first place.
Cheers!
Ade.
--------------
1x Lister CS Start-o-Matic (complete, runs)
0x Lister JP4 :( - Sold to go in a canal boat.

veggie

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 16, 2020, 10:09:11 PM »

I would suggest that the RA Lister company did extensive testing to find the optimal flywheel weight and diameter to balance the line between too much resistance to combustion acceleration vs. having enough inertia to carry good power through the next combustion cycle.

guest23837

« Reply #13 on: March 17, 2020, 10:14:34 AM »
I have a few of these engines. The Yanmar L48 is a small noisy reliable easy started engine. The 186F engines are very similar to the Yanmar and have been reliable and fairly easily started. They too are very noisy. All are very easy to work at. I'm with Glort on the pump timing, just pack it up or lower it down until it "sounds right". When you buy a car thermostat they are often for many models and come with a selection of gaskets, they can often be adapted as spacers.