Author Topic: Hobart Generator  (Read 3635 times)

snowman18

• View Profile
Hobart Generator
« on: March 10, 2020, 10:45:51 PM »
The mill were I went for a load of sawdust for the mushroom project has had this gen tucked away, It's a Hobart generator not sure what the engine is.

http://www.ewillys.com/2013/03/26/1942-hobart-generator-willsboro-ny-ebay/

I do know its a gasoline engine and it still turns over, I purchased it for $50.00, has some interesting instruments on the control panel.

his M5 generator was built for the US Army in World War II, by the Hobart manufacturing Company. 

It is built on intergrated steel skids. The generator has a four cylinder ZXB Hercules engine. 

From online research, this engine was sometimes used in the Willys Overland Jeep. 

The output of the generator set can be field set for either single or three phase operation.  The output is rated at three kilowatts. 

This unit has sat for many years, but I believe can be rebuilt to operate correctly, and could be used as a functioning display.  Just to make clear, the unit does not run at this time.  T

his unit is rare today, and from research, provided electrical power for the BOFERS anti-aircraft gun setups in WWII. I have found similar generators for you to look at on you tube, but I have not been able to download a link due to ebay rules. Type in M5 generator on the you tube search bar.”

https://youtu.be/0DASR6qyWmI

« Last Edit: March 10, 2020, 11:26:49 PM by snowman18 »

snowman18

• View Profile
Re: Hobart Generator
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2020, 11:39:03 PM »
The deal caught on tape while getting loaded with sawdust.

https://youtu.be/oKr5vRXm-jc

Found the service manual online.
« Last Edit: March 11, 2020, 01:13:06 AM by snowman18 »

dieselspanner

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2020, 06:43:29 AM »
Nice find, Snowy

Good to see something a little different, with all that information and commonality you should find enough to get it going.

Cheers

Stef
Tighten 'til it strips, weld nut to chassis, peen stud, adjust with angle grinder.

snowman18

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2020, 02:26:20 PM »

That  looks a BIG generator for 2.5 Kw max! Had to re read the info a couple of times to make sure it wasn't per phase!
4 Cyl Motor, you'd think it would do more than that even being under stressed for longevity.

I also find it interesting is that the 11 HP Hercules ZXB  governed at 1200rpm is making 60 hertz, throttled back to 1000rpm 50 hertz.

From the manual.

The generator will not be harmed if it is operated for as long as 2 hours at 25 percent overload or 25 percent over current.

mikenash

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2020, 06:02:05 AM »
"  I also find it interesting is that the 11 HP Hercules ZXB  governed at 1200rpm is making 60 hertz, throttled back to 1000rpm 50 hertz "

What am I missing here?  1200 RPM = 60Hz, 1000 RPM = 50Hz?

Nice big, un-stressed motor

Cheers, Mike