Author Topic: Car engine ignition conversion  (Read 5530 times)

AdeV

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: Car engine ignition conversion
« Reply #15 on: January 28, 2020, 07:38:38 PM »
Charles lindberg was responsible for discovering how to DOUBLE the range of wwii aircraft.  By running high boost and low rpm fuel economy was doubled which enabled allied aircraft  in the pacific to be able to strike places far further than the enemy could anticipate and was a big factor in the overthrow of the japs.

I believe ALL WW2 fighter aircraft were boosted. e.g. the Spitfire & Hurricane aircraft used a 2-stage supercharged Merlin engine. It wasn't just about fuel economy - the air is getting plenty thin at the altitudes they were flying, so boost allowed the engines to get a decent amount of air for the fuel they were burning. And they were 2-stage so you could switch from low boost (low altitude) to high boost as required. Not sure if they also used high boost to enhance top speed whilst in a low-level dogfight, but I can't imagine they didn't try it...

I think the Messerschmitts were turbo-charged, but haven't googled to confirm that.
Cheers!
Ade.
--------------
1x Lister CS Start-o-Matic (complete, runs)
0x Lister JP4 :( - Sold to go in a canal boat.

mike90045

• Mendocino Metro
  • Mmmm BBQ
    • View Profile
    • Mikes Solar PV page
« Reply #16 on: January 29, 2020, 05:41:54 AM »

I think the Messerschmitts were turbo-charged, but haven't googled to confirm that.

supercharged according to wikipedia
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Daimler-Benz_DB_605

The supercharger was fairly advanced for the era in that it used a barometrically controlled hydraulic clutch (fluid coupling) which allowed the system to automatically compensate for changes in altitude.

way down in the list of variants:
DB 625      A turbocharged DB605

AdeV

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 29, 2020, 01:01:02 PM »
I'll have to read up on Lindburgh - you're probably right about that. IIRC the P38 had an Allison engine to begin with, I don't know if it was a NA or boosted engine; but it was underpowered for the plane. Putting the Merlin, and later the Griffon (the tank engine variant was the Meteor, and was unboosted as far as I know - tanks never really got my juices flowing the same way as WW2 aircraft), turned it, as you say, into the legend that it became.

Hmm, I have a few Jag V12s lying about the shed, it'd be interesting to stick a 2-stage supercharger on one, just to see what it could do...
Cheers!
Ade.
--------------
1x Lister CS Start-o-Matic (complete, runs)
0x Lister JP4 :( - Sold to go in a canal boat.

guest18

« Reply #18 on: February 01, 2020, 05:52:46 AM »
I always had an interest WW2 fighters.
The P38 had lots of teething problems in the beginning. Most of the Allison engine issues were addressed in the later versions.
The first P38’s Britain received were awful. They were underpowered because no turbocharger’s in them and I believe Britain canceled the order.
It was not much longer when turbocharger’s were installed and they did very well in Asia. But it would of been a much better plane if Merlin’s were installed. The Merlins were more reliable, Merlin gave Packard licensing to build the Merlins in the US. A Merlin powered P38 would of been something.

guest18

« Reply #19 on: February 01, 2020, 12:56:02 PM »

Hmm, I have a few Jag V12s lying about the shed, it'd be interesting to stick a 2-stage supercharger on one, just to see what it could do...

That would make it a Mini Merlin would it not?   :laugh:
Sure like to see that!

Mini Merlin:

https://hackaday.com/2017/09/11/if-youre-going-to-make-a-model-engine-you-might-as-well-make-it-a-merlin/

Some history of the Merlin:

https://youtu.be/GYcKdK7hmEo

gadget

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 27, 2020, 06:02:31 AM »
Glort,

If you can find a wrecked older honda civic hybrid or insight hybrid they have a permanent magnet generator (IMA) packed just behind the flywheel. I believed they output 120v'ish 3 phase AC.  but the coils could be rewired in parallel to lower the voltage or just rewound for a 12v or maybe 24v output

That would make a nice stationary motor conversion for topping off the solar batteries.

That was in the early 2000's when they where using the 120v Nimh battery packs.

snowman18

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 08, 2020, 05:27:23 AM »
Glort,

If you can find a wrecked older honda civic hybrid or insight hybrid they have a permanent magnet generator (IMA) packed just behind the flywheel. I believed they output 120v'ish 3 phase AC.  but the coils could be rewired in parallel to lower the voltage or just rewound for a 12v or maybe 24v output

That would make a nice stationary motor conversion for topping off the solar batteries.

That was in the early 2000's when they where using the 120v Nimh battery packs.

Fisher & Paykel Smart Drive Washing Machine