Author Topic: start o matic twin,  (Read 859 times)

glort

• View Profile
Re: start o matic twin,
« Reply #15 on: March 11, 2020, 06:56:21 AM »
/\ If I remember correctly your JP4 engine had a cobbled together electric start arrangement, with an automotive flywheel taper locked onto the crankshaft, and an automotive starter motor meshing with it via a welded steel framework arrangement.

Sounds good to me!
Must remember to pick up some starter motors next time i'm in the wrecking yard. I already brought all the flywheels home!

Currently Marine Power Services will want the thick end of 600 just to fit one of their starter rings to your own flywheel.

And that makes the above arrangement sound even better!
I can Imagine what they would want for a replacement starter whereas if you had a run of the mill automotive one....

AdeV

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: start o matic twin,
« Reply #16 on: March 11, 2020, 07:59:25 AM »
/\ If I remember correctly your JP4 engine had a cobbled together electric start arrangement, with an automotive flywheel taper locked onto the crankshaft, and an automotive starter motor meshing with it via a welded steel framework arrangement.

Whereas this ebay JP4 has the original fitment electric start flywheel.

Currently Marine Power Services will want the thick end of 600 just to fit one of their starter rings to your own flywheel.

My JP4 had a JK electric flywheel. I'm not sure what the starter was, I presume it was liberated from the same JK that gave up its flywheel. It certainly wasn't lashed together, it looked pretty OEM to be honest.

I think the one you're thinking of is my CS, which has an automotive flywheel bolted to the ST gen head, with a very much lashed together steel frame holding both the generator and the starter.
Cheers!
Ade.
--------------
1x Lister CS Start-o-Matic (complete, runs)
0x Lister JP4 :( - Sold to go in a canal boat.