Author Topic: Complete overhaul of CS 3.5 hp  (Read 1185 times)

littleridge

• View Profile
Complete overhaul of CS 3.5 hp
« on: March 03, 2020, 08:22:33 AM »
Hi I am new in this forum, What is the correct method to remove the flywheels , the cylinder liner is worn and needs replacing, do I just press it out as per normal, what's to look out for? The liner looks to be stainless inside and cast iron outside? How to proceed? Thanks for any ideas. Cheers

sirpedrosa

• 21NOV2019 - Finally I hear that sound... again
    • View Profile
Re: Complete overhaul of CS 3.5 hp
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2020, 10:38:29 AM »
Hi ridge

Is it  a genuine? Put pictures first of how is actually in order to help you.

Regards
VP
By order of firing up:
Bernard 18A - 1968 (mama's water pump - year of my birth)
Petter PAZ1 - Jun 1967, 3HP, sn 416xxxx
Petter PAZ1 - Nov 1979, 3HP, sn 425xxxx
Lister 12/2 - 12651227, the pearl!
Deutz MAH 914, 1952 - Zündfix in chamber and go (7Mai2023).

cobbadog

• View Profile
Re: Complete overhaul of CS 3.5 hp
« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2020, 10:43:49 AM »
G'Day littleridge and welcome to the Forum.
To remove the flywheel/s you have to first remove the 'gibb key' which is a tapered keyway. These should have a raised section on the outside and the idea is to use a curved tapered section of tempered steel to drive between the flywheel and the raised section. Before trying always start spraying some diesel or penetrating oil onto the area so the keyway might let go. There may be some gibb key removal tools for sale on the auction sites but using a tapered piece of steel may do the job, just be careful and take your time with it as you don't want to break the raised section away from the keyway as this then really makes it a mongrel job to remove by drilling and using a slotted chisel then having to buy a new keyway and then 'blueing' it to fit the taper exactly.
I haven't had to remove a liner as yet but it would help if you have a look online for a manual for your engine and download it. So use Google search to see if one turns up. With out a manual take a shit load of pics with the phone to show details of what goes where and at all stages of the strip down. Torque settings are easy to find online so long as you can identify the bolt or nut size and thread pitch. These engines are very forgiving and will tolerate a lot of mis-use but they are such a sweet sounding engine when running.
Hopefully others will post more help for you to continue.
Coopernook - the centre of our Universe.