Puppeteer

Author Topic: Kohlor 8.5 kw with Lister SR2  (Read 11565 times)

snowman18

• View Profile
Re: Kohlor 8.5 kw with Lister SR2
« Reply #15 on: March 05, 2020, 01:03:30 AM »

No one here is paying that sort of money for scrap cats.  Serviceable ones, sometimes but not scrappers.

We were previously getting about $30 ea, weren't looking a gift horse in the mouth at $100 ea.
Are those prices even viable for the amount of materials recovered and the cost of doing it? 

I see things advertised for stupid prices all the time. Doesen't mean they are getting it or is that the going price there?
For that money I'll buy a load of them here and take them over as excess baggage and have the Mrs and I a free holiday in Canada!

1000% return would be a decent investment!

Better yet, send them direct to a refinery that specializes in them and not some cat buyer off the street or your local scrap yard.

The Stillwater refinery in Montana requires you to have shipments weighing in at 4,000 plus pounds, this would just be the comb removed from the canister.

The average cat contains 4 pounds of comb so it would take 500 cats to fill a tote.

Metallix will accept lots of 2000 pounds  https://metallix.com/

Both of these company's have a global presence.

Here's an assay from a sample I sent in. If I did the math right 3.70% rhodium 2000 pounds would be 2003.7 grams, 31 grams troy ounce we have 64.63 tr oz. At today's market value
there's $6527.63 USD of rhodium.

Without an assay the yards are clueless.

The assay below was done with XRF, three shots were taken of the sample being assayed. The duration of x-rays beamed on the sample was 30 seconds

« Last Edit: March 05, 2020, 01:24:38 AM by snowman18 »

snowman18

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 05, 2020, 02:01:58 AM »
The Sony Alpha A900 was, I say was top of the line when I purchased it.

I hear ya on the file transfers, a FTP server would serve you well this way your client could each have a pass protected directory that they could share with ?.

I had a 4x5 and an 8x10 Cambo large format cameras, the Sony digital a brand new HP wide format, imagine ink cartridges with a chip to tell you they're out of date or near empty. A thousand dollars to replace the cartridges and that damn printer every couple of hours goes into auto pilot cleaning the ink heads.

Also had a digital back for the Cambo 4x5 large format but you can also get adapters to affix any digital camera onto a large format camera.

After me an the old lady split the sheets did not know I had a daughter in the oven, my daughter had just turned 20 when we had our first face to face. she has chosen to be a professional photographer.

At the time I had no funds to contribute towards her education, instead gave her all of my camera equipment.

I wanted to get into doing platinum prints, now I'll settle for making a pin hole camera out of a shoe box and do some carbon.

Chemicals used for carbon print, carbon black, gelatin and one other that currently gaps my mind. This link is live for the next ten days

Modern Carbon E-Book, by Sullivan.
http://ovh.to/kB9CANG

cobbadog

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 05, 2020, 11:01:36 AM »
That is an interesting hobby but I'm not smart enough to play with chemicals. Had a chestry set in high school days and mixed stuff up in a test tube, put a cork in the end and shook it all up, then it exploded and what ever it was burnt a hole in my thigh. LEsson learnt, stick with the spanners.
Coopernook - the centre of our Universe.

snowman18

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 09, 2020, 12:07:03 AM »
On the SR2 I had removed the side cover to access the con rods, pulled one cap and found the bearing not to be ion to bad of condition.'

Decided to order a new set for both jugs, in the meantime  the push rod for the lift pump had fallen to the shop floor and was missed when I had put all the other lose parts into a bag.

Taylor has been busy over the weekend working on his new toy, then I received an email asking about the missing push rod for the lift pump.

Fortunately I was ale to find it, he'll drop in after work tomorrow  afternoon to pick it up, I also found four brand new Bryce injector nozzles to include in his package.

I have a couple of spare injector lines, I'll give Taylor one so that he's able to build a pop off tester from a bottle jack. Then when I need one, will know where to borrow a pop off.

cobbadog

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 09, 2020, 10:38:36 AM »
Do you think it would be worth while to measure the journals to see if there is any excess wear?
I know these engines can almost be bullet proof but as you are this close might be worth checking.

snowman18

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 09, 2020, 04:54:34 PM »
Do you think it would be worth while to measure the journals to see if there is any excess wear?
I know these engines can almost be bullet proof but as you are this close might be worth checking.

The con rod bearing shells I had removed looked perfect, not even any signs of electrolysis - pitting. And the crank journal was in perfect condition, but thought why not install new con rod shells.

I have a hunch this Lister once Taylor has the new bearings installed will be running this generator more often that that propane Onan. He can get veggie oil from the hotel and his GF works in another village with another source of oil.

I may have shot myself in the foot, creating competition on my sources of oil.

snowman18

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 09, 2020, 10:58:50 PM »
Taylor installed the bearing shells Saturday, had the engine running gravity feed, just showed up for the missing fuel pump push rod and the kid is grins ear to ear.

cobbadog

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 10, 2020, 10:20:55 AM »
So it is now running properly?

snowman18

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 10, 2020, 03:35:36 PM »
Yes the engine is running fine, have yet to hear from Taylor if he has tried the welder.

Oil in the city's is off limits, living rural they're happy to see it disappear the only time it gets scarce is during bear hunting season - the hunters bait the bears,

I had a Mitsubishi Pajero that I ran on oil for years, once in awhile someone would comment of the restaurant smell coming from the tailpipe.

Have yet to run oil in my PJ Petter but I suspect there will be no issues.

cobbadog

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 11, 2020, 10:37:38 AM »
I am not sure of the rules here in Oz but is it legal to run oil in the diesel cars n trucks? Not that it bothers me but in the UK they hand out huge fines for running on fish n chip oil as the government isn't making their money from the siesel.

dieselspanner

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: March 11, 2020, 01:26:27 PM »
Last I looked it was legal to use up to 2500 litres of veg oil as fuel in the UK without informing the authorities.

As there's no checks ypou can practially do what you like aslong as it's for personal transport, there's not a lot who bother tho'.

A few years back there was a EEC ruling to that effect and every member country took it up with the exception of France - where I live!

In practise here the Gendarmes, who motivated are generally 'different motivated' and as dipping tanks is dirty and impinges on the coffee and lunch breaks it's at the bottom of their list.

Running on 'Red', diesel that has been dyed to show it's taxed at a lower rate for agriculture and construction machinery will get you inro all sorts of - expensive - bother, right across Europe.

Cheers
Stef
Tighten 'til it strips, weld nut to chassis, peen stud, adjust with angle grinder.

cobbadog

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 12, 2020, 10:03:34 AM »
Cheers Glort, That rule and story about the guy trying to pay that tax vaguely rings a bell.
I bet the copper that was talking to you about the suspicious aroma got awfully hungry after you left and went to get a bucket of donuts.
The reason I asked is very timely, I am about to start a rebuild on an early Aussie diesel engine, a McDonald Super Imperial Diesel SE model and I thought of running it on oil and not diesel to make the crowd more hungry to buy tucker at the rallies we attend not to mention other displayers. I have an awful long way ahead of me to get this running and hopfully it will start tomorrow and over the weekend. I have to try and make one out of the two I have here. It runs what is called a Bronz or Hyvid injection system, bloody strange.

listeroil

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: March 14, 2020, 03:55:15 PM »
I can confirm that it is legal to use 2500 litres WVO or biodiesel tax free in the UK.

From Wikipedia
The changes came into effect on June 30, 2007. There is no longer a requirement to register to pay duty on vegetable oil used as road fuel for those who "produce" or use less than 2,500 litres per year.

cobbadog

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: March 15, 2020, 04:34:03 AM »
Cheers Glort,
I know this engine is 'off topic' for this forum but I just mentioned it and now I'm glad I did.
The compression ratio is adjustable by adding shims to the conrod. It is an odd thing to do but can be done without stripping the engine just remove a cover and undo the big end bolts and the conrod separates from the 2 halves of the big end and you add or subtract shims.
The injection system is totally unique, it is called a Hivid or Brons system, the oddest thing you will ever see and requires a lot of stuffing about when it is time to clean and adjust it ready for use. Fortunately I do have a a booklet on this to help sort me out.
It sprays the diesel into a fuel cup/bowl inside the head before it enters the cylinder, similar to the MF35 4 cylinder head.
Anyway, I've bore this forum long enough on my Mac in this forum of Listers, unless you need to know more.

snowman18

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: March 15, 2020, 06:20:26 AM »
Cheers Glort,
I know this engine is 'off topic' for this forum but I just mentioned it and now I'm glad I did.
The compression ratio is adjustable by adding shims to the conrod. It is an odd thing to do but can be done without stripping the engine just remove a cover and undo the big end bolts and the conrod separates from the 2 halves of the big end and you add or subtract shims.
The injection system is totally unique, it is called a Hivid or Brons system, the oddest thing you will ever see and requires a lot of stuffing about when it is time to clean and adjust it ready for use. Fortunately I do have a a booklet on this to help sort me out.
It sprays the diesel into a fuel cup/bowl inside the head before it enters the cylinder, similar to the MF35 4 cylinder head.
Anyway, I've bore this forum long enough on my Mac in this forum of Listers, unless you need to know more.

From what you describe adding or removing con rod shims on the big end indicates this connecting rod uses a poured babbit bearing which predates split shells.

Proper bearing clearances are made by adding or removing shims, the art of pouring a new babbit bearing is almost a lost art.

Currently I have a silage chopper with babbit bearings used on the revolving cutter head, the little Hercules engine on the Hobart gen set uses poured babbit then also the Wisconsin VG4D.

A few engine restorers have the babbit removed then have the big end machines to accept split shells, but you could go the opposite and oversize the big end for babbit.

When making a babbit bearing the shims are in place before the babbit is poured, this allows for corrections as the bearing wears by removing shims.

I think babbit bearings are kinda neat in  that a roadside repair can be carried out, small fire to met your babbit in an old tin can, some asbestos plumbers rope to seal the ends.

I've heard stories of people using shoe leather to temporary fix a bad bearing in the ol model t's

Twenty-Five Hundred Miles and Two Leather Rod Bearings Later

http://theoldmotor.com/?p=149647

« Last Edit: March 15, 2020, 06:38:45 AM by snowman18 »