Author Topic: Kohlor 8.5 kw with Lister SR2  (Read 11427 times)

snowman18

• View Profile
Kohlor 8.5 kw with Lister SR2
« on: March 03, 2020, 12:37:06 AM »
The young mechanic and his wife live off grid, they use a propane powered Onan for odd jobs but it does not have the balls to run his welder.

Right now the kid is happier that a pig in  a mud wallow, told him this morning to drop by my house, I gifted him the Kohler.

A three cylinder Perkins diesel is going to the farm

I'm keeping the 15kw PJ Petter with the Stamford head, but this generator sits in another room attached to the rear of the shop. So it will not interfere with my need of floor space.

Mushrooms and essential oils.

cobbadog

• View Profile
Re: Kohlor 8.5 kw with Lister SR2
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2020, 05:42:17 AM »
That is very kind of you snowman18, this will power his welder, no problems.
Coopernook - the centre of our Universe.

snowman18

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2020, 06:14:45 AM »
That is very kind of you snowman18, this will power his welder, no problems.

Not my favorite person what he lacks in personality his girlfriend makes up for it though. I did try selling the generator and the Perkins but no one wants to travel the distance.

The last pair of diesel engines that I sold, each buyer agreed to pay fuel costs into the city then I also made use of my time in the city picking up a 20 liter pail of 98% sulfuric acid,  pail of 35% hydrogen peroxide.

Anyhow the generator went to a good home and will get many years of use.

I delivered the Perkins engine to the farm this evening and did some work on my essential oil still while I was there.

Colin has a Grove aerial man lift with a blown V4 Wisconsin engine, the Perkins will replace it. The Perkins came out of a commercial Toro reel mower, sweet running engine but have no use of it.

Not enough horse power to run silage chopper that I'll be using to shred branches to feed into the essential oil still. I have a Wisconsin VG4D for that project.

« Last Edit: March 03, 2020, 10:50:03 PM by snowman18 »

cobbadog

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2020, 10:33:10 AM »
What do you use the chemicals for?
Always good when people pay you to deliver and you get the benefit of picking up some goodies.

old seagull man

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2020, 03:08:42 PM »
 98% sulfuric acid,   35% hydrogen peroxide. That should dispose of the body, but add a few kg of lye, just to make certain.  ;) ;D :D

mikenash

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 03, 2020, 04:25:13 PM »

I'd travel a fair distance for a good running Diesel generator at a reasonable price. Was looking through some classifieds a few hours ago for them and the prices people want here are stupid, especially as the majority of the ads say the units haven't been used in years and aren't tested which is classified speak for  " It's stuffed".

If someone can't be bothered to put fuel in a thing and crank it up to demonstrate it's a goer, you know they know it's not.

I have too many engines but gen heads are like trying to find rocking horse shit here.

Yes.  I have a bid in on a TradeMe auction here atm.  Not because I want the Honda genset per se but because it has a nice 5kW Markon head on it

snowman18

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 03, 2020, 04:48:04 PM »
98% sulfuric acid,   35% hydrogen peroxide. That should dispose of the body, but add a few kg of lye, just to make certain.  ;) ;D :D

When the chemist filled the 20 liter pail with sulfuric into a new pail before the lid is put on he had on his safety gear right down to boots.

He brought the pallet with the drum of acid outdoors onto  cement pad then put the special tipping dolly under the drum. Then he had left the drum on the pallet then when it was tipped for pouring a wheel from the dolly slipped off the pallet board.

Now the drum is laying on the ground spewing acid, I'm  short distance away and it's human instinct to assist another in trouble.

Fortunately my WHIMIS training kicked in, dressed in street cloths the situation was out of my hands all I could do was keep my distance. He did manage to upright the drum.

Sulfuric in that concentration is very heavy and thick as oil hence the name oil of vitriol.

The chemicals get cut to varying percentages as needed, I use them to refine precious metals.

Catalytic converters have three platinum group metals of value, but the problem right now is the small refinery's are buying on an as needed basis for fear of getting stuck with a high value inventory should the market plummet.

Accordingly I've changed my game, the shop is being cleared out in preparation of growing mushrooms.

I can probably uses the the nitric and sulfuric acids to modify soil conditions but this will be a whole new learning curve. Which may not apply to my mushrooms needs.

I've also built a still to distill essential oils, the 15kw Petter on restaurant oil ill be used to generate the steam to drive out the oils.

The Rhodium price is what scares the smaller refinery's, and I have no desire to stock pile or hoard these metals.

Prices in US dollar.

https://www.kitco.com/

Platinum            $875.00    
Palladium    $2,402.00    
Rhodium    $10,200.00

« Last Edit: March 03, 2020, 04:56:10 PM by snowman18 »

snowman18

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 03, 2020, 09:38:30 PM »
Sulfuric acid digestion of cellulose ( waste wood, paper, cardboard ) to make ethanol.

As an example, using a dilute acid process with 1% sulfuric acid in a continuous flow reactor at a residence time of 0.22 minutes and a temperature of 237°C (458°F) with pure cellulose provided a yield over 50% sugars. In this case, 0.9 t (1 ton) of dry wood would yield about 189 L (50 gallons) of pure ethanol.

snowman18

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 03, 2020, 09:48:12 PM »
30 gallon multi purpose oil still, the column is reflux, any vapors below that of boiling water will reflux giving nice clean first runs.

A shortage of water necessitates recycling cooling water discharged from the condenser will pass through a refrigeration unit then recycled.

I would like to run this oil still in the woods to reclaime logging waste, generator would need a spark arrestor on the exhaust. Would like to make my own but I'm sure that Forestry would have some objection and would require one that has been approved.

After the most volatile of the vapors have passed through the column it will be noted by a rise in temperature of the gauge.

The little tractor is a 1975 Allis Chalmers 720, Onan CCKB, 3 speed manual transmission coupled to a Sundstrand hydro. The front end loader make by Arc.

Green drum is methanol.

« Last Edit: March 03, 2020, 10:05:25 PM by snowman18 »

cobbadog

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 04, 2020, 05:24:42 AM »
Well said Glort about "classified speak", it was running when put away does mean it is stuffed now.
I know I asked what was a silly question about the chemicals and got the replies expected. It is interesting what people do with different chemicals and is why I asked. I go through a bit of liquid pool chlorine in the cleaning work I do.

snowman18

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 04, 2020, 05:41:41 AM »
The hardware store Muriatic runs at  31.45% if your lucky while the commercial grade I paid a premium on runs at 40%.

Lab grade CP ( chemically pure ) reagents would break the bank.

The value of cats from an assay years ago on 585 pounds of ball milled comb put into a drum for shipping assayed at $35.00 us a pound.

Around the same time a guy from the city showed me his assay and I damn near fell over, $117.00 a pound. And he had shipped 8000 pounds.

Average cat has 3.5 pounds of comb and today's current market value on the platinum sisters just blows my mind.

I finally figured it out, his city cats ran on pavement while my rural cats spent a lot of time on gravel, poor vehicle filter maintenance contributed to fine dust being blown through the exhaust..

Cody's lab on youtube shows a vid where he actually swept up road dust off the side of a highway then refined some platinum group metals from the dust.

One thing I've learned in dealing with a new refinery's is always chat with the buyer over the phone and listen for the telltale sniffles.

You've never been to Canada during the winter, besides it takes a lot of snow the get a gallon of water, heating the snow to melt, pumps to transfer the water then filters to remove the dirt then boil the water before using.

Trust me on this Glort, I would not add equipment that was not absolutely necessary.

You may find the electric actuators have a Nylon nut, I find worn out units from hospital beds discarded at the landfill often. I now leave them.

The 3 point on the Allis 720 gets its hydraulic supply from the implement port on the Hydro, not enough juice to operate the front end loader which has a belt driven pump with a mag clutch similar to those used on automotive AC compressors.

The Allis was manufactured by Simplicity and I have a 9020 with a front mounted snow blower, which spreads out the snow over a large area and not near as depressing as looking at piles of snow six feet high and slow to melt.

Both tractors are identical just branded and painted different colors.

The Simplicity 9020 came with a 3 point tiller and each have limited slip differentials.

snowman18

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 04, 2020, 06:12:12 PM »
What do you use the chemicals for?
Always good when people pay you to deliver and you get the benefit of picking up some goodies.

Refining silver, gold and platinum.

This book will answer all your questions on how these chemicals are used.

Refining Precious Metals Wastes, C.M. Hoke

http://ovh.to/sAjNaDN
« Last Edit: March 04, 2020, 11:20:42 PM by snowman18 »

snowman18

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 04, 2020, 11:19:17 PM »
Identifying precious metals using acids.

Testing Precious Metals by the same author C.M. Hoke.

http://ovh.to/1Ekvf7c

snowman18

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 04, 2020, 11:56:35 PM »

Sold a Dozen Cats 2 weeks ago along with about 50Kilo of clean aluminium.  $1180 thank you. What would a cat be worth to you each after you have extracted all the metals.  For what we get for them here, I'll leave the processing to someone else!

I think you could have done better $$$.

https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=p2334524.m570.l1313.TR12.TRC2.A0.H0.Xscrap+cat.TRS0&_nkw=scrap+cat&_sacat=0&LH_TitleDesc=0&_sop=16&_osacat=0&_odkw=scrap+diesel+cat&LH_Complete=1&rt=nc&LH_Sold=1

« Last Edit: March 05, 2020, 12:00:09 AM by snowman18 »

snowman18

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 05, 2020, 12:44:38 AM »
Precious metals used in photography, platinum, palladium, gold, silver and mercury.

Photographic prints made  from silver will fade over time while platinum has a 200 year archival rating.

The next time you de-coke your engine save the carbon, use your printer to create a negative on a clear acetate then make your first carbon print of your Lister.

If you have a large format printer along with a digital camera in the 25+ mega pixel range the size of your negative is limited to the output size of your printer.

« Last Edit: March 05, 2020, 01:04:50 AM by snowman18 »