Puppeteer

Author Topic: Kohlor 8.5 kw with Lister SR2  (Read 11441 times)

cobbadog

• View Profile
Re: Kohlor 8.5 kw with Lister SR2
« Reply #45 on: March 23, 2020, 10:52:41 AM »
Everything about these engines are very different. The adjustable compression ratio, ring set all the same and the weirdest is the injection system known as a Hvid / Brons set up and very tricky to get it set up correctly.
Coopernook - the centre of our Universe.

snowman18

• View Profile
« Reply #46 on: April 30, 2020, 12:50:49 AM »
Apparently no serious harm came to the SR2 Lister, below a snippet from an email received this morning from Taylor.

My invertor is happy with the power it produces and charges my batteries too. Probably ran it for 8 hours so far and it hasn't burnt a half tank of fuel.

cobbadog

• View Profile
« Reply #47 on: April 30, 2020, 07:20:22 AM »
Now that is good news snowman.
Final word on my McDonald as I have now a separate thread is that it does have to have an oil ring in #6 ring groove. they are on order but have to be made first in N.Z. and they are in shut down at the moment.

snowman18

• View Profile
« Reply #48 on: May 30, 2020, 10:36:59 AM »
Apparently no serious harm came to the SR2 Lister, below a snippet from an email received this morning from Taylor.

My invertor is happy with the power it produces and charges my batteries too. Probably ran it for 8 hours so far and it hasn't burnt a half tank of fuel.

Today Taylor told me he got 13 hours run time from the two imperial gallon fuel tank, and that his propane generator uses 2.5 litres an hour.

He also mentioned many of his friends ask WTF is that when they first see the odd looking English diesel.

Even though the generator is the Start-O- Matic, Taylor loves starting the engine using the hand crank to keep his friends buzzed.

Now that Taylor has had a taste of Lister he's totally hooked, that old generator went to the right home.

snowman18

• View Profile
« Reply #49 on: May 30, 2020, 05:44:52 PM »
I know I asked what was a silly question about the chemicals and got the replies expected. It is interesting what people do with different chemicals and is why I asked. I go through a bit of liquid pool chlorine in the cleaning work I do.

The chemicals are used to refine precious metals most of what I know about metallurgy came from Hokes Refining Precious Metals Wastes.

The digital copy of the book is  free download from https://www.scribd.com

Yesterday I reacted Hydrochloric acid with a household ammonia cleaner to make ammonium chloride a totally new chemical with many uses.

Ammonium chloride is what makes the unique flavor in Black Licorice, it's used in certain baked goods to add crispness, also used to add patina to copper, used as a soldering flux.

The ammonium chloride is inexpensive to purchase however quality is questionable. And I need a chemically pure product.

To make it chemically pure the ammonia chloride crystals will be re-hydrated then once again the liquid evaporated then cooled to allow the crystals to reform any liquids left over discarded. The procedure is carried out twice more.

Ammonium chloride is then used to precipitate platinum from a multi species liquor containing nickle, platinum, palladium, rhodium with perhaps a bit of gold ions in solution.

There's more than one way to skin a cat, ammonium chloride is one of many reagents selective to platinum.

« Last Edit: May 30, 2020, 05:47:26 PM by snowman18 »

snowman18

• View Profile
« Reply #50 on: May 30, 2020, 06:21:30 PM »
What do you use the chemicals for?

There's enough $$$ in that vision ware pot to buy me a couple of Lister's

Ms. Hoke explains in great detail.

Stripping the aqua regia solution of values. In the spent aqua regia solution from your parting operation, there are several values in ionic form, including some platinum and perhaps a bit of iridium.

The solution will be a brownish colour unless there is considerable copper and nickel as base metals in the batch, in which case it will be green or blue-green.

cobbadog

• View Profile
« Reply #51 on: May 31, 2020, 06:45:34 AM »
Remind not to come to your place for dinner.   :o