Author Topic: DIY Silicon gaskets and fuel lines  (Read 178 times)

snowman18

• View Profile
DIY Silicon gaskets and fuel lines
« on: March 13, 2020, 02:04:35 AM »
I'm re-purposing an old 5 gallon Webster Pressurized paint pot into an autoclave, over the years the lid gasket has stiffened up and needs to be replaced.

The pot used as an autoclave operates at a much lower pressure than it had as a paint pot, 15 psi max. I've decided to make my own gasket from high temp silicon.

On my quest for knowledge the first YT video blew me away, this guy shows how to make silicon fuel line. I was not aware that hydrogen peroxide would act as a curing agent.

The pot I have is much older than the one below and has more lid clamps.

https://youtu.be/KlNXHEqKLdg
\

glort

• View Profile
Re: DIY Silicon gaskets and fuel lines
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2020, 07:30:33 AM »
Interesting and clever but I actually bought more than enough silicone fuel line yesterday to do 2 chainsaws.

$3.20

For that I'll just go buy a meter when I need it. I think the guy on the vid was getting a bit touched up at the mower store, Very touched up!

Where this might be interesting is using it with Biodiesel and Veg oil.
Back when I was playing with that a lot, Fuel line was a holy Grail. Everyone wanted fuel line that never weeped  like bio made it do and the wanted fuel line that didn't go rock hard like oil usualy did.

People spent small fortunes on some of these various  "wonder" hose's that came out with all sorts of promises  but it ALWAYS failed in usually under 3 years. Some of this stuff was over $50 a meter and I'm talking at least 15 years ago.

Me, I never worried about it. In fact typically, I used almost the cheapest stuff out there, the Braided Vinyl line.  I worked out it lasted about 18+ months before it developed problems that would cause issues.  As such, I'd change it every year at my noted maintence point for everything that needs doing annualy, between Xmas and New year.

When I changed the stuff every year I have Zero problems with it and it cost me about $3 and maybe 20 Min of my time.
I simply did things aircraft maintence style, change it before it fails.  This way I could use the cheap hose which was no biggie to do at all and I could use hardware level materials available everywhere and cheap as chips.

If this silicone held up, I'm sure there would be a market for it.  Probably wouldn't be all that cheap to do in 3/8 or 12MM though as I don't think you'd get a very long run out a tube but could probably add another and keep going.
For long runs I think doing it shot tower style would be the go. Use a deep tank so by the time the stuff got to the bottom and touched itself it was already cooked off enough not to come near sticking  and you could make long lengths.  Pit a heating element in the tank and you could make rolls of the stuff.

Wrapping the extruder in glad wrap would probably keep it from cooking off for a week.

glort

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2020, 07:32:48 AM »

BTW, for your pressure pot I'd actually look at the polyurethane sealers like the stuff that comes in Sausages for the building game.
That stuff is way more flexible and tougher than silicone would makes excellent sealer and gaskets.  Used some the other week on a carby bowl with a hard seal and it hasn't leaked since.

snowman18

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2020, 05:30:58 AM »

BTW, for your pressure pot I'd actually look at the polyurethane sealers like the stuff that comes in Sausages for the building game.
That stuff is way more flexible and tougher than silicone would makes excellent sealer and gaskets.  Used some the other week on a carby bowl with a hard seal and it hasn't leaked since.

Polyurethane will not hold up, water at 15 atmospheres makes steam at 250 F.

EdDee

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2020, 10:50:14 AM »
Long length of DIY o-ring stock of suitable sectional diameter and a tube of crazy glue.....?
12/1 750RPM/9HP Roid 5kVA- WMO Disposal/Electricity & Hot Water Gen
12/1 650RPM/8HP Roid 4.5kVa - Demon Dino
Chinese Yanmar - Silent Runner with AutoStart
Classic Komatsu 1963 Dozer/Fergusson 35 Gold Belly ...
Bikes,Cars,Gunsmithing & Paintball...Oh yes, a 5Ha open air Workshop to play in!