Lister Engines > Listeroid Engines

Catalytic converter to reduce exhaust odor

(1/5) > >>

cujet:
I have 2 Listeroids, a 6/1 that's cranked up to a 7.5/1 by raising the RPM and a 20/2 that's slowed down a bit. Both engines have automotive mufflers and are quiet enough for my location. However, I absolutely despise the smell of diesel exhaust and while both engines have clear exhaust when operating, they do have enough odor to be bothersome.

Years ago, I remember some effort was being made to develop an emissions compliant Listeroid. That's not my goal here.

What I've been thinking about is purchasing a diesel specific catalytic converter and mounting it as close to the head as possible. I have TIG welding equipment and it would be quite easy to weld a flange that installs it directly on the head. Yes, I know most diesel owners desire to "delete" the emissions equipment. However, I have sufficient power, and I'm sure any HP loss would be minimal with a low restriction catalyst.

What I'm not sure about is whether it would help, and whether or not it would actually "light off" and function.

Has anyone done such a thing?

veggie:

cujet,   long time !  :)

To my knowledge a Cat Converter only works on gasoline emissions.
Diesels must use a Diesel Particulate Filter (DPF) which also reduces odour considerably.
New diesels have a fuel re-burn system which introduces fuel into the hot exhaust stream just downstream from the engine to create additional combustion in the DPF. This helps to burn the particulates and partially clean the DPF. Eventually they do clog.
In the case of my diesel the "regen" burn cycle lasts approx 10 minutes every 7 hours of driving.

I heard somewhere that in Europe they have a fuel additive which changes the diesel exhaust odour to something less offensive.
I have not researched to see if anyone here carries it in North America.

cheers,
veggie

AdeV:

--- Quote from: veggie on February 27, 2020, 09:39:13 PM ---
I heard somewhere that in Europe they have a fuel additive which changes the diesel exhaust odour to something less offensive.
I have not researched to see if anyone here carries it in North America.

--- End quote ---

Sort of - it's not a fuel additive, it's an exhaust catalyzer, called AdBlue. It's purpose is to reduce NOx emissions to something sensible. I couldn't tell you if it affects the exhaust smell at all, it's currently mainly used in large commercial vehicles, although some passenger vehicles now run it as well.

Adblue is a urea based chemical. I'm not sure exactly how it's applied, except it's a liquid that's injected into the exhaust stream somewhere. Some googling might come up with enough info to allow you to experiment & see if it does reduce the odour at all. I suspect your only other option would be to filter it to an insane degree.

An EGR (Exhaust Gas Recirculation) system might help too - it's just a small pipe joining the exhaust to the inlet, and allows some of the exhaust gas back in with a fresh intake charge. Most diesel cars have an EGR valve somewhere which inevitably - and expensively - goes wrong. I'm not sure what it's purpose is, maybe they don't run well on exhaust gas when cold or something?

saba:
Its like adev says, it's urea (cow piss} just started working with it so it's still sort of new to me. Big cat 3516 I think ? then up in the exhaust there is a nozzle which blows in the urea with air, behind that there is something that looks like a catalizer box. units with honeybee grid from keramics, further up the funnel we have the soot filter with a burner stove underneath. Every 4 hours or so it's burning the filters clean. doesn't look like something  that would work on a lister.

I just moved here so not so much hands on experience yet. Didn't go up the funnel to check for the smell but I can tell you it's really clean what comes out. Under full load there is no sign of exhaust

For smell try vegetable oil
Or add natural gas or propane to your intake, you can run it 90% gas just use the diesel to ignite.

Bernhard

cujet:
Thanks all. I work in the aviation industry, so I have quite a supply of Jet-A. Currently about 500 gallons.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version