Author Topic: It's miniaturisation gone mad!  (Read 203 times)

AdeV

• Administrator
    • View Profile
It's miniaturisation gone mad!
« on: February 26, 2020, 09:00:50 PM »
So... you need a 6hp prime mover eh? Well... on the one hand, there's the venerable Lister CS 6/1 - 650rpms of dieselly goodness. I'm not actually sure exactly how big it is, but the Utterpower website claims a shipping crate size of 38" by 24" by 43" (so a cubic volume of 39,216cu/in, or 22.7 cubic feet, roughly). Excluding fuel tank.

Or... you could have one of these! https://hobbyking.com/en_us/turnigy-sk8-6374-192kv-sensored-brushless-motor-14p.html

4.4kW (5.9hp), in a volume approx 14.4 cubic inches. That's rroughly 0.008 cubic feet, if I've cranked the calculator right. Or approximately 2.7 THOUSAND times smaller.

Now, if only there was some way of making the damn thing run on diesel instead of electrons....
Cheers!
Ade.
--------------
1x Lister CS Start-o-Matic (complete, runs)
0x Lister JP4 :( - Sold to go in a canal boat.

gadget

• View Profile
Re: It's miniaturisation gone mad!
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2020, 05:40:10 AM »
Its amazing how much power they get out of those motors. I'm guessing duty cycle and life expectancy is very low. Lets assume a 90% efficiency(probably much lower), that motor would be putting out minimum 440watts of heat. Good for quick burst.

glort

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2020, 09:26:38 AM »

I think that's a pretty modest size electric now.
I saw a vid a while back of a guy holding one in his hand that was 22 Hp!

Here is a 35 Kw Version. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KedsQtPd-po

This one is a little bit more... than double the first one........  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9FWghP22xgY

I bought a little Ducted fan. The thing is small and lower power as far as they go but the output of the thing is surprising.

I have also bought one of the smallest out runner motors and am putting it on one of those foam gliders with a small battery. Add some flaps, rudder and ailerons and should have a very cheap  and decent performing plane to learn on.

mike90045

• Mendocino Metro
  • Mmmm BBQ
    • View Profile
    • Mikes Solar PV page
« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2020, 06:28:16 PM »
Small motors are multi phase 400hz aircraft stuff 
They are really tiny and have unbelievable HP
https://fcxinc.com/why-the-aviation-industry-operates-on-400-hz-power/

veggie

• Keep Calm and Start the Lister !
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2020, 09:43:01 PM »
Wondering ... could these be used as a PM generator ?
With the appropriate rectification of course.
- 6/1 GM90 Listeroid - Delco 33si Alternator
- Changfa R175 - Lease/Neville Alternator
- Kubota Z482 - 4kw
- JiangDong R165 Air cooled - 2 kw

AdeV

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 27, 2020, 09:57:04 PM »

Short answer - dunno! They're 3-phase motors, I believe, internally. I've got a set of little ones (for a drone I'm building), if I remember, I'll hook one up to the oscilloscope and see if anything comes out of it when I give it a spin. Sounds like an excellent excuse not to tidy the office up on Saturday :D
Cheers!
Ade.
--------------
1x Lister CS Start-o-Matic (complete, runs)
0x Lister JP4 :( - Sold to go in a canal boat.

glort

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 28, 2020, 06:11:20 AM »

Definitely!

I have spun them up and they do produce power.  If you short the leads they become MUCH harder to turn.

As all things, They definately wouldn't produce the power as a generator as a motor but... depends what you need I guess.
Bang for buck might be a bit on the low end too I suspect.

Shouldn't be hard to use though, Just run them through a 3 phase rectifier like you would any other alternator or generator.

Some car blower motors are now 3 phase as well. Ones I have seen are about 100W rated @ 12V so you might get 50-80 out of them in reverse.  I have driven them with the ESC's from the RC engines and the tester throttle and they work fine.

The other thing you can use is the Fisher and Paykel washing machine motors. I believe they are also sold under other names now but  they are the Multiphase motors.  They can be rewound for what ever voltage you want and will do about 1500 to to 2 Kw out of them.  The older ones are better as they have thicker wire in them.

I have played with them and they work fine. Lot of info on them and widely used among the wind turbine and micro Hydro enthuiasts.