Puppeteer

Author Topic: Rings, Right Side Up?  (Read 3744 times)

Geno

• View Profile
Rings, Right Side Up?
« on: August 08, 2006, 04:37:11 PM »
I’m pretty sure I heard someone here say there is an up and down side to Listeroid rings. A search here brings up to many results. My Goetz rings seem to have none of the indicators shown on this page.  http://www.hastingsmfg.com/Service%20Tips/compression_ring_installation.htm
They do have “GOE” stamped on one side but otherwise seem to be completely symmetrical. Does anyone know for sure?

Thanks, Geno

hotater

• View Profile
Re: Rings, Right Side Up?
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2006, 05:34:33 PM »
  Every Lister ring I've seen are 'square' and bi-directional.  I have some Hastings rings that are obviously directional by a taper on the outer face and the top ring is convex and chromed.  They're easy to see.

BTW-- the Hastings rings for the 6-1 take a deeper ring groove than my 'Roid.  A piston *could* be set up and the grooves deepened but it's hard to deepen without widening at the same time.....risk to the piston is high.
7200 hrs on 6-1/5Kw, FuKing Listeroid,
Currently running PS-Kit 6-1/5Kw...and some MPs and Chanfas and diesel snowplows and trucks and stuff.

listerdiesel

« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2006, 10:07:15 PM »
There are two drawings for Lister piston rings, parallel face and taper face:

Drawing 60710 Sheet 1 - Parallel sides and square face
Drawing 60710 Sheet 2 - Parallel sides and taper face

I have sheet 1 which I will put on the website when we get back from SFO, sheet 2 is around somewhere, I'll see if I can dig that out as well.

Interesting to see the various notes against the ring type, some are lapped, some are ground finish, some are plated with Cadmium or Chromium and so on.

Peter

biobill

• 'riods make good houseguests if fed right
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2006, 11:59:28 AM »
Standard procedure for rings that are marked is to put the mark up. Makes sense when you think about it, they seal on the bottem and you wouldn't want a stamped mark to interfere.  Bill
Off grid since 1990
6/1 Metro DI living in basement, cogen
6/1 Metro IDI running barn & biodiesel processer
VW 1.6 diesels all over the place
Isuzu Boxtruck, Ford Backhoe, all running on biodiesel
Needs diesel lawnmower & chainsaw