Author Topic: Lister TS2 slow to shut off.  (Read 2759 times)

smokey1

• View Profile
Lister TS2 slow to shut off.
« on: January 30, 2020, 08:59:24 PM »
I have a 1980's Lister TS2 mated to a Dyna generator head that was removed from an old light tower. It has needed some tlc to keep it going but recently it started this new problem.

After it has been running for a while, when I de-energize the run solenoid, the engine shuts down but it sounds like it wants to restart by stuttering a few times.

It does stop but this is a new problem for me. I know that the fuel pumps should be disabled when in the stop position but I don't know why or how some fuel is still intermittently getting to the cylinders. Can anyone shed some light  on this problem?

Thank you

dkmc

• View Profile
Re: Lister TS2 slow to shut off.
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2020, 09:30:23 PM »
Dirt in the fuel or failing seal on the fuel solenoid?
Machinist, fabricator, designer, fixer

AdeV

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2020, 11:18:03 PM »
Is the fuel rack being fully closed when the engine is shutting down? If it's open just a hair, it could explain the desire to run on...
Cheers!
Ade.
--------------
1x Lister CS Start-o-Matic (complete, runs)
0x Lister JP4 :( - Sold to go in a canal boat.

smokey1

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2020, 05:53:32 AM »
The stop lever seems to go all the way to the off position and the fuel is clean. I don't know about a failing seal in the fuel solenoid, this is an external electrical device that moves the stop lever to run and back to stop.

mike90045

• Mendocino Metro
  • Mmmm BBQ
    • View Profile
    • Mikes Solar PV page
« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2020, 06:47:25 AM »
Keep a close check on your crankcase oil level.   If you are getting oil past the rings, it might be trying to run on that !!

smokey1

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 31, 2020, 05:59:45 PM »
I forgot about that, I recently did an oil change and checked the level and it was good. When I get back to the generator I will take another look at the level.
Thank you

mikenash

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 01, 2020, 02:23:38 AM »
Keep a close check on your crankcase oil level.   If you are getting oil past the rings, it might be trying to run on that !!

Hey Mike, below your signature there's a link to the fb page of the installation of your 800 a/h 48V battery bank eight years ago.  I'd be interested to know if/how it is still serving & if you have any thoughts after almost a decade with it?  I figure there's stuff to learn

Cheers, Mike

mike90045

• Mendocino Metro
  • Mmmm BBQ
    • View Profile
    • Mikes Solar PV page
« Reply #7 on: February 01, 2020, 07:13:24 AM »

Hey Mike, below your signature there's a link to the fb page of the installation of your 800 a/h 48V battery bank eight years ago.  I'd be interested to know if/how it is still serving & if you have any thoughts after almost a decade with it?  I figure there's stuff to learn

Cheers, Mike

Working very well.   Just finished 2 weeks of cloudy rainy yucch.  Just ran the 6/1 for 90 min a day, and slowly walked the batteries down.  Still had juice, and took 3 sunny days to fill back up. Awesome not being worried about ruining a set of lead acid batteries.  In 2011, Li was still a joke that caught fire every 3 years

solar: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Solar
gen: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Lister

Refresh pics: (Aug 2018)
https://www.facebook.com/pg/Lucky-Monkeys-Ranch-120212794718849/photos/?tab=album&album_id=2113125788760863

Initial install pics (Oct 2011)
https://www.facebook.com/pg/Lucky-Monkeys-Ranch-120212794718849/photos/?tab=album&album_id=209715335768594

mikenash

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 01, 2020, 07:55:49 AM »
Interesting

I think probably you have to be a hands-on kind of guy - plus be living on site full-time to get the value out of them?  Cheers