Author Topic: Lister ST1 Startomatic Generator help needed please  (Read 4133 times)

1956ld1

• View Profile
Lister ST1 Startomatic Generator help needed please
« on: January 27, 2020, 02:37:39 PM »
Hi all,
This is my first post on the forum so please forgive any mistakes.
Yesterday I purchased a rather unloved Lister startomatic. It was completely seized and the unforgiving climate of the west of Ireland has not been kind to it. Took it to bits last night and have accessed the damage- one very stuck piston. Having accessed the engine I believe all it needs is a barrel kit and big ends. Now the startomatic side of things is another story. I'm quite confident I can get it working again but I would appreciate a wiring diagram but more importantly a diagram of the selector switch and the reset? switch as both are completely shot and I can't seem to reverse engineer them. all the relays are seized solid but I should be able to free them off. Also if anyone has a guide to replacing the diodes and what values to use and in which direction, particularly the one in the generator with a load of wires coming out of it, It would be great. I have (hopefully) included some pictures of the tag and various electrical gubbins. If anyone has spares for these I would be very interested.
Kind regards,
Josh.   
I've no clue how to insert pictures so They can be found here: https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1ablw4uLkdiQhliJGK51p2h58uu--X9KK?usp=sharing

1956ld1

• View Profile
Re: Lister ST1 Startomatic Generator help needed please
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2020, 03:40:47 PM »
Also if anyone has the two control solenoids that sit on top of the engine to control the decompressor and fuel rack id be very interested in them as they are missing on this unit. I have a similar unit that uses a 240v solenoid connected straight to the output to trigger the decompressor? is that how its supposed to work?

oldgoat

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2020, 12:06:44 PM »
I think you will find the solenoids are like rocking horse poo. hopefully the cct will appear for you

oldgoat

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2020, 12:24:59 PM »
Aha success. Throw away the selenium rectifiers and replace the with 400v diodes also check the 4Mfd capacitor for leakage and give it a new 50 Mfd Cap. The reset switch is a thermal relay. The fuel solenoid has a double  winding you could probably replace it with an ebay solenoid and a microswitch to reduce the holding current

1956ld1

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2020, 03:14:30 PM »
Thanks very much, the advice will get the project rolling hopefully. Any recommendations for the size of the diodes? 1 amp? I took the relay to bits and have a few pictures for any other members to use. it can easily be replaced by a 12v (or 24V) timer and relay.
Kind regards,
Josh.

1956ld1

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 28, 2020, 09:31:47 PM »
Hi all,
Can anyone tell me the voltage at which the relay coil LC 4 operates at? I need to build a replacement as is the running theme with this box, its shot. I presume it's around the 300vdc mark so a 240v ac coil should suffice?
Kind regards,
Josh.

oldgoat

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 29, 2020, 10:07:49 AM »
It may take a bit of fiddling with that contactor as it is held by half wave rectified 230v pulses and made slow to release by the 4Mfd capacitor.

1956ld1

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 29, 2020, 07:52:57 PM »
It may take a bit of fiddling with that contactor as it is held by half wave rectified 230v pulses and made slow to release by the 4Mfd capacitor.
Right you are. I've figured out an appropriate array of relays to replace the box's innards leaving only the inductor. Not a "proper" startomatic I know but its the best I can do with the knowledge and equipment I have.
Kind regards,
Josh.

oldgoat

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 30, 2020, 01:49:54 PM »
Davprin one of the posters on here is going through the same sort of exercise with anLD1 startomatic he may chime in and be able to give you a bit more info.

Alan Hale

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 05, 2020, 06:24:33 AM »
I need help with my Start o matic   will gladly pay . I live in Euston nr. Thetford    tel   07747102305