Puppeteer

Author Topic: Paraffin as Fuel  (Read 234 times)

dax021

• View Profile
Paraffin as Fuel
« on: April 15, 2020, 11:34:57 AM »
What would it entail to convert my SR2 to run on parafffin (kerosine)?  At the moment illuminating paraffin (IP) is going for around $0.25US per litre because of the low oil price.  In South Africa we don't pay tax or fuel levies on paraffin, as a large sector of our population use it for cooking, lighting and heating. Taxes and levies equate to about 70% of our petrol and diesel price at the pump, so using IP could make a huge difference in running costs. 

I am guessing that an IP/2 stroke oil mix would be fine?  Any ideas what ratio, and would I have to play with timing, something I would try to avoid, as I don't know how?  Thoughts, both pro's and con's would be appreciated.

Thanks

glort

• View Profile
Re: Paraffin as Fuel
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2020, 03:45:47 PM »

You could add 2 stroke, veg oil, motor oil or anything else that would give it some lube value as it's very dry.

For 2 Stroke I'd be going at least 50:1  You can't add too much that's for sure. 50-50 with used veg oil would make a great fuel.

Wish I could get Kero that cheap.  Almost impossible to get here from the pump and when you can it's more exy than petrol or diesel.
If I were you I'd be Filling 200L drums and putting them away at that price.

dax021

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2020, 08:13:08 AM »
Thanks Glort.  That was my thinking, to stock up on kero.  I like the idea of mixing with WVO as I have about 50 Lt that I've been storing with the intention of using it pretty much straight up, but WVO is not easy to come by so a 50/50 mix will make it go twice as far.

glort

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2020, 01:56:51 PM »

Ha! If it were me I'd be thinking make the Kero go further.  I can get all the oil I want, more than I want in fact but seems that's pretty rare in the world now.

That said, Probably couldn't get much at all atm. So many restaurants and eatery's closed down here and the ones that are open are only doing take away.  Must be murdering their Businesses.

I might have to venture out and get some 200L Drums and fill them while everything is so Cheap.
The ones I have are either dirty or have had stuff in them I wouldn't want to get into fuel.  Empty oil drums are good. Don't matter if a bit of engine oil is in them specially when it would be diluted to about 500:1 if not more with petrol and makes no difference with Diesel.

Soon as all this china virus is over I predict fuel prices will go through the roof as the arabs and oil companies try to make up for lost profits.
I think stocking up on Fuel atm would be a better return than the paltry interest one gets on money in the bank.