Puppeteer

Author Topic: 201-10031 Mystery  (Read 2145 times)

Avondale

• View Profile
201-10031 Mystery
« on: January 23, 2020, 03:35:43 PM »
Hi

I'm rebuilding a Lister LR1. I have decided to replace the cylinder and piston due to excessive wear and ordered new. The small end bush is also quite worn and I ordered a replacement which according to the Master Parts Manual (MPM)is Part No, 201-10150

The new bush arrived, but is too big for the small end and obv the gudgeon pin

In checking the connecting rod, the part number stamped on it - 201-10031 does not appear to be from this model. Again according to the MPM, the correct part number for the connecting rod should be 501-10010. There is also evidence of wear on one side of the con rod, with would indicate to me it has been contacting the crankshaft.

Can anyone tell me what part number 201-10031 is for as my searches have come to nothing

Yours hopefully

cobbadog

• View Profile
Re: 201-10031 Mystery
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2020, 05:08:49 AM »
Sounds like an interesting problem. I have no part numbers but someone will be able to help there. I wonder if it is out of a later model or a 2/3 or 4 cylinder one. When the conrod is sitting in place is there any side ways movement? Where are the marks on the rod? If the rod you have is a good replacement part for your LR1 then it may have a worn bearing where it runs on the crank or it was moving sideways at the top where it is fitted into the piston on the gudgeon pin.
If you are going to put your engine to work then it will be important to have it correct, if not going to be working and is only for Rallies then machine the od of the small end bush, press it into place then ream the ID to suit the gudgeon which is something you may well have to do anyway and be sure when it is fitted that it is centred correctly.
Coopernook - the centre of our Universe.

dieselgman

• View Profile
    • Lister Parts
« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2020, 03:11:17 PM »
We have all of the parts references plus supersessions and numbering translations. L/P sometimes did not use the actual casting part number in their parts identifications. This is certainly true for bearings, pistons, because they used an internal document for translation of these items. Contact - gsj@gci.net

dieselgman
ALL Things Lister/Petter - Americas
Lyons Kansas warehousing and rebuild operations

listard-jp2

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2020, 06:25:29 PM »
There is also evidence of wear on one side of the con rod, with would indicate to me it has been contacting the crankshaft.

It could also indicate that the connecting rod is bent.

snowman18

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2020, 06:44:58 PM »
Hi

I'm rebuilding a Lister LR1. I have decided to replace the cylinder and piston due to excessive wear and ordered new. The small end bush is also quite worn and I ordered a replacement which according to the Master Parts Manual (MPM)is Part No, 201-10150

The new bush arrived, but is too big for the small end and obv the gudgeon pin

In checking the connecting rod, the part number stamped on it - 201-10031 does not appear to be from this model. Again according to the MPM, the correct part number for the connecting rod should be 501-10010. There is also evidence of wear on one side of the con rod, with would indicate to me it has been contacting the crankshaft.

Can anyone tell me what part number 201-10031 is for as my searches have come to nothing

Yours hopefully

The small end bushing is meant to be honed to size once it's been pressed into the con rod.

Avondale

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 07, 2020, 05:10:34 PM »
Thankyou for your advice on my small end bush. I found a local engine shop and they fitted a new bush and reamed it out for £40. All is well and ready for the build !