Author Topic: EPA Regulations  (Read 7617 times)

Tanman

• View Profile
EPA Regulations
« on: January 21, 2020, 07:20:25 PM »
Have you guys read this:

EPA Regulations
§ 1068.315 Permanent exemptions for imported engines/equipment.
(i) Ancient engine/equipment exemption.
If you are not the original engine/equipment manufacturer, you may import nonconforming engines/ equipment that are subject to a standard-setting part and were FIRST (emphasis mine) manufactured at least 21 years earlier, as long as they are still substantially in their original configurations.

Would the word FIRST there not make it legal to import replicas of engines over 21 year old!
Kubota ea300
Metro 12/2

sirpedrosa

• 21NOV2019 - Finally I hear that sound... again
    • View Profile
Re: EPA Regulations
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2020, 07:57:27 PM »
Hi Tan

"If you are not the original engine/equipment manufacturer"... "as long as they are still substantially in their original configurations"

A replica its not "original" even after 21....25....or more years.

I think you can import a Lister (old iron) CS, JP, FR or other, but.... (see) but not a Listeroid.

But (again) nothing like to ask to your near customs how they read that article...

Cheers
VP
By order of firing up:
Bernard 18A - 1968 (mama's water pump - year of my birth)
Petter PAZ1 - Jun 1967, 3HP, sn 416xxxx
Petter PAZ1 - Nov 1979, 3HP, sn 425xxxx
Lister 12/2 - 12651227, the pearl!
Deutz MAH 914, 1952 - Zündfix in chamber and go (7Mai2023).

basewindow

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2020, 08:34:04 PM »
I read that differently. I interpret it as saying that as long as you are not the OEM, you can import as long as they were first manufactured 21 year or more ago and substantially in original condition.
1953 CS Lister 3.5hp, 1938? Bamford SD1 3.5hp, 1962 Fordson Super Dexta, 1969 International 434.

Tanman

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2020, 09:01:43 PM »
I read that differently. I interpret it as saying that as long as you are not the OEM, you can import as long as they were first manufactured 21 year or more ago and substantially in original condition.

Same here, it says if YOU are not the original manufacturer..... not the engine itself.
If they wanted to ban clones and copies of old engines they would have omitted the word "first", so whoever at the EPA/importing is putting the kibosh on importing replicas of engines that were first manufactured at least 21 years earlier is overstepping the regulation. How does this ancient engine exemption not apply to clones?
« Last Edit: January 21, 2020, 09:16:21 PM by Tanman »
Kubota ea300
Metro 12/2

broncodriver99

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2020, 01:52:22 AM »
I think it means anything over 21 years old is exempt. Not brand new versions of antique engines. Importing original CS engines is not a problem, never has been. I have had to submit paperwork for the ones I have imported breaking down the serial number to prove they were manufactured before emissions regulations were set for their class, which IIRC was around 2006.

It is also a question of what they mean by "first". Engines that have been rebuilt are considered to be and referred to as re-manufactured by the EPA, hence the verbiage about being substantially in their original configuration.

I think the verbiage about not being the OEM is to prevent a manufacturer with a warehouse full of non compliant but antique engines from importing them directly. Kubota could have a warehouse full of "remanufactured" engines that would be exempt and could therefore import as many non compliant engines as they wanted, so they exclude OEM's from the exemption to prevent it.

Speaking of Kubota. If one was to set up shop in any country outside the US popping out "replicas" of older non compliant Kubota designs that cannot meet the current emissions requirements do you really think they would be allowed to be imported, much less in any quantity. I don't think so.

A quick call to the EPA and/or Customs and Border Patrol should clear it up though. At the end of the day it is the officer who inspects the shipment who makes the call.
« Last Edit: January 22, 2020, 01:56:44 AM by broncodriver99 »

Tanman

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2020, 03:05:30 AM »
That makes a lot of sense. I’m surprised an individual/small business isn’t importing pre 2006 Kubotas, Yanmars, and listers in by the container load. Nos and used engines like that have to be available in large quantities in parts of India and Asia.
« Last Edit: January 22, 2020, 03:08:22 AM by Tanman »
Kubota ea300
Metro 12/2

Tanman

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 22, 2020, 03:57:06 PM »
That is a good perspective Glort. I just get bent out of shape when the gov says you can't do something that is harmless and something the little guy wants. I'm literally paying them to tell me no lmao.

*I did have my lawyer look over the regulations and he said basically the same thing that broncdriver99 said.
Kubota ea300
Metro 12/2

LowGear

• Casey
  • What? My diesel had fries for lunch?
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 22, 2020, 07:37:40 PM »
Two items:

It reads to me as it reads to broncodriver99.  Much like 25 year old automobile importation.

These engines are not harmless.  They do exhaust rather nasty particulates when operating on diesel.  I appreciate the tempest in the teapot aroma of this stand but just look at the air and water where there is NO or weak Environmental Protection Agency like programs.
NPR Tipper/Dump Truck
Kubota BX 2230
Witte BD Generator
SunnyBoy 6000 + SolarWorld 245

guest25219

« Reply #8 on: January 22, 2020, 09:01:28 PM »
Two items:

It reads to me as it reads to broncodriver99.  Much like 25 year old automobile importation.

These engines are not harmless.  They do exhaust rather nasty particulates when operating on diesel.  I appreciate the tempest in the teapot aroma of this stand but just look at the air and water where there is NO or weak Environmental Protection Agency like programs.

I was thinking it read a lot like the automobile importation rules as well.

And yeah these engines exhaust isn't great. I definitely was rubbing my eyes, and my nose was running for several hours after I was running the engine with a less than perfect exhaust. Yeah the EPA makes rules that can be frustrating at times. But in the grand scheme of things, they have done a lot of good for the environment, and general health of the population. 

AdeV

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 22, 2020, 09:24:01 PM »

If everyone in the US was messing about with an old Lister[oid], then yes - you'd have a fairly major pollution problem.

10,000 of the things in the hands of amateurs isn't worth a fart in space.

I'm sure that, if there was ever a civil servant anywhere on the planet with more than 1 1/2 brain cells to rub together, [s ]he would come to the same conclusion and allow a limited number of annual imports, e.g. on a "not for resale" basis.

Even our godforsaken EU (crafters of some of the most stringent regulations in the solar system) recognised that one could import "an item for personal use" which didn't meet EU standards (for safety, emissions, or whatever). You just couldn't bring in a container full & sell them.
Cheers!
Ade.
--------------
1x Lister CS Start-o-Matic (complete, runs)
0x Lister JP4 :( - Sold to go in a canal boat.

AdeV

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 22, 2020, 09:46:46 PM »
... completely ignoring the emissions of places like china and india whom emit magnitudes more than we do.

I saw someone argue today - with a straight face, no less - that because the US/UK's "per capita" emissions were higher than China's "per capita" emissions, we needed to put our own house in order first, before humbly begging the Chinese to do something.

Never mind that China alone is responsible for something like 30% of ALL "pollution" emissions on the planet. Because there's 1.4bn of them, that makes it OK apparently.

Oh yeah, I read it in the Guardian of course - the UK's official hand-wringing liberal-lefty rag... and annoyingly the only news forum that's both free to use & that I haven't been banned from yet...
Cheers!
Ade.
--------------
1x Lister CS Start-o-Matic (complete, runs)
0x Lister JP4 :( - Sold to go in a canal boat.

guest25219

« Reply #11 on: January 22, 2020, 10:20:54 PM »
Remember when people would say. "Lead by example?"

guest25219

« Reply #12 on: January 22, 2020, 10:22:25 PM »
Again, people right here on this forum will sell you a new rebuilt engine done right but from what i read, they cant find any takers?

Get out of here with that logic Glort! How can we get upset and be angry at others when you say stuff like that?

dkmc

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 24, 2020, 12:06:55 AM »
Let them stage ther protests for a week. Out in the hot sun, the rain and storms, fouling ther own pants and sitting in it.

Great. I spit my low grade malt all over the monitor.
LOL
Machinist, fabricator, designer, fixer

LowGear

• Casey
  • What? My diesel had fries for lunch?
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 24, 2020, 09:21:32 PM »
Wisdom without end. 

I haven't seen the study where folks that use diesel or wood for heat and / or power have different health outcomes.  Sounds like a masters thesis to me.

In honor of "Catch 22":  "If everyone did it that way then I'd be crazy to do it any other way."

Slightly askew.  When I was about 12 the damn futurists decided to start reclaiming Lake Washington that touches up against Seattle.  There were consistent spots where swimming was not allowed at any time.  60 years later you can swim anywhere in the lake you want except for when the public sewers break.  And the lake is healthy enough to absorb those spills in a week or so.  Same trip on Cedar River - a tributary of Lake Washington.  I drank the water as a kid and had become careful about how I played in the river only 30 years later.  In moves the libratards and now I can see the salmon even in the deep areas.  No I don't drink it anymore.  But then we've got a well now rather than a water line that runs up the holler and catches whatever out of the creek.  That move was the same year we found a VW Beetle upside down right smack dab in the middle of the crick.

And then you see the photos of SE Asia and the sub continent.  Holly cow!  Pun intended.  Makes you appreciate the war on one use plastics.

https://honolulu.craigslist.org/big/cto/d/honaunau-bio-diesel-cooker-plant/7048078605.html
« Last Edit: January 24, 2020, 09:30:06 PM by LowGear »
NPR Tipper/Dump Truck
Kubota BX 2230
Witte BD Generator
SunnyBoy 6000 + SolarWorld 245