Author Topic: How much oil in a 6/1?  (Read 2155 times)

tyssniffen

• View Profile
How much oil in a 6/1?
« on: January 09, 2020, 05:42:39 PM »
Look, I realize this is a ridiculously simplistic question, and that it's ridiculous that I'm asking this question on year 13 of running my 6/1, but as I did a mid-winter oil change this week, I realized that I was just eyeballing the amount of old oil that came out and putting the same amount back in...

which means I am simply matching my own previous non-knowledgeable moves.  I once put X in, and now I'm just replacing X.   (which seems to be about 2 quarts)

I see in the old manual it says 'add oil to within an inch of the top of the sump'.... but experts on here must know what that translates to. 

And, given this is just a 'splash' system, can one actually *over oil*?  can you put too much oil in a 6/1 and negatively affect it?
« Last Edit: January 09, 2020, 05:51:37 PM by tyssniffen »
6/1 with 2 tank for WVO.  pushing power into off-grid house battery bank, in winter.

mike90045

• Mendocino Metro
  • Mmmm BBQ
    • View Profile
    • Mikes Solar PV page
Re: How much oil in a 6/1?
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2020, 01:47:11 AM »
On my Metro, splash only, takes just about a gallon to reach the tips of the castle nuts on the con-rod bearing shell, getting the dipper nearly fully submerged

broncodriver99

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2020, 01:06:40 PM »
Is this a Dursley 6/1 or a Roid? In my old manuals I found a specification of 5 pints (2.84 liters) that's imperial pints so in North America that is 6 pints. Or roughly 3 US Quarts.

Corrected...
« Last Edit: January 10, 2020, 09:56:38 PM by broncodriver99 »

tyssniffen

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2020, 04:51:46 PM »
6/1 Listeroid Clone.  cast in 2006.

and I'm in North America, but don't mind talking liters.  thanks for the details.

I'm still unsure if there's any way I could *over fill* the oil sump.   Is there any danger if I dump 3.5 liters in there?
6/1 with 2 tank for WVO.  pushing power into off-grid house battery bank, in winter.

broncodriver99

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2020, 10:00:51 PM »
I corrected my math above. It is 3 quarts instead of 2.5. If it is an exact duplicate of a Dursley 6/1 the extra 3/4 quart may be a little too much. Lister went to the trouble of installing an oil control tray in the upper sump most likely to help with oil consumption and slobbering. I don't know that the roids have duplicated that part.

Hugh Conway

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 10, 2020, 11:20:19 PM »
I must admit, I have never measured the amount of oil.
I have a listeroid and a Dursley. When changing oil in  either, after drain, cleaning,etc, I add oil through the removable door and check the amount via the sliding cover below. I fill up to about 1 to 1/2" below the sliding cover view port. The amount of oil put into in the upper sump matters not, as it will overflow into the lower. This keeps the upper sump oil depth constant for the dipper to function consistently, no matter the total oil quantity (as long as it is sufficient to cover tie oil pump intake screen!)
The Metro is a different animal as it has only one sump. You have to more closely monitor oil level there to ensure the right amount of splash (or any at all!)
Cheers
Hugh
JKson 6/1  (Utterpower PMG ) Off-grid
Lister 6/1 Start-O-Matic engine......running with PMG
1978 Royal Enfield (glutton for punishment by Indian iron)
1963 BMW R-27 project

Blueflame

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 15, 2020, 10:50:03 PM »
Mine seems to hold about 5 quarts to submerge the dipper about 1/2". a 6-1 powersolutions jkson.