Puppeteer

Author Topic: Lister ST1 rebuild  (Read 1833 times)

RodinNl

• View Profile
Lister ST1 rebuild
« on: January 06, 2020, 03:05:07 AM »
Lister ST1 rebuild
I have started to rebuild a Lister ST1 diesel generator. I dissamembled the engine and found that the skirt had broken off the piston. The remains of which were lodged in the base. The main bearings were worn out of spec and one of the compression rings was stuck. I am now in the process of cleaning and painting the pieces. Parts were ordered from the dieselgman and reassembling has started. I recommend a good measure of patience to start a restoration project like this. I will post pic as soon as I figure out how.

dieselspanner

• View Profile
Re: Lister ST1 rebuild
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2020, 08:59:42 AM »
Welcome to the forum.

You're on track with the patience thing for a start!

Assuming you have no history, before you assemble the Lister have a good look around and see if you can work out why it died.

It would be a shame to get everything up together and have the same problem a few hours down the road..........

Keep us posted on your project

Cheers
Stef
Tighten 'til it strips, weld nut to chassis, peen stud, adjust with angle grinder.

RodinNl

• View Profile
Re: Lister ST1 rebuild
« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2020, 10:43:57 AM »
The only thing I noticed after taking it apart was the oil level. I think the original owner let the oil level get too low. There was at most one litre of oil in the engine. I have replaced most internal parts that are susceptible to wear, piston, cylinder, main bearings, con rod bearings, and have a new gasket set for assembly. Cam shaft, gear, bushings look good. The unit was not carbed up much at all. I have some great pics if anyone knows how to  attach them under the txt.!