Puppeteer

Author Topic: My Water Input system set up for my 6/1  (Read 349 times)

tyssniffen

• View Profile
My Water Input system set up for my 6/1
« on: January 05, 2020, 06:41:00 PM »
Well,
taking the advice given here, I've started adding distilled water into the air intake to steam off the carbon build up I get from running WVO at a bit slower than 650rpm.

I quickly got tired of going up to the gen and dropping in a tablespoon every hour or so, and now have learned that it's better to have small amounts regularly going in.  So, I grabbed what was available and built a drip system using a few cheap parts from a garden irrigation system.

A vinegar jug, which is a little stronger plastic than the typical milk jug easily took a barbed end to add the 1/4" tubing.   Then a 1/2gal per hour drip nozzle (the slowest one I had on the homestead) seemed to still be too much water, as I'm told I want to equal fuel consumption.  (I *think* I do about a liter an hour, so that's twice as much)

So I went and bought little shut off valves (image attached) and since they come in packs of 2, I was able to use one to dial the drip down to a bit less than a liter an hour and then the other one is the on/off switch I can turn when the engine warms up.  (indicated by the yellow arrows in the attached image)  [sorry for the blurred image. I took the photo while it was running]

Drilled a simple hole in the filter to slip the tube through.  the tube probably ends at the elbow of the air inlet.

By hanging the jug above the inlet, I have a very simple gravity fed system that's easy to monitor and easy to refill.

6/1 with 2 tank for WVO.  pushing power into off-grid house battery bank, in winter.

glort

• View Profile
Re: My Water Input system set up for my 6/1
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2020, 08:25:49 AM »

Looks Good enough!
 The regular feed will keep any buildup away and you might see a slight improvement in starting or compression. Probably better you don't but not a bad thing if you do.  The double valve idea was something I have used myself and is a simple way to leave the settings you want without having to re adjust all the time.

You will probably get less flow when the drum is getting lower down but that's probably not going to be an issue either.  Long as it's getting some water will be good till the next top up.