Puppeteer

Author Topic: DIY Short block  (Read 13675 times)

snowman18

• View Profile
Re: DIY Short block
« Reply #45 on: January 24, 2020, 03:33:10 AM »
Imagine the time it would take to produce a few hundred gears on a cnc machine, powder metallurgy is the future.

Gear hobbing will soon be a thing of the past.\

Power Metallurgy
https://youtu.be/s1TGXa3pB5M

Gear Hobbing
https://youtu.be/fMxKMLIDkqo?t=23
« Last Edit: January 24, 2020, 03:36:49 AM by snowman18 »

Tanman

• View Profile
« Reply #46 on: January 28, 2020, 10:52:33 PM »

veggie - thanks for the input..  I am sure he can supply a block here or there but my point is - the blocks are in short supply and those that are available are relatively expensive..  especially once you factor in freight costs

I want to create something that is easily accessible to the average Joe - allowing them to get into the hobby with minimal cost.

The 6/1 is a marvellous machine that can give you freedom and independence from the state..   more people should have one in their shed... the damn EPA / government makes that a hard option..

Here in Canada for example they just implemented carbon taxes..  I used to heat my house with propane..  it would cost me nearly 6K per winter season to heat my house..  now with the carbon taxes - it adds nearly $600 more per year and each year the tax is phased in to increase till 2030..  I really feel for my kids..  you need heat to survive..  the state wants you to be fully dependant on them..  I prefer the other way round

Amen to all that! I have found it difficult to get one of these built on a budget, I like the Idea of starting with my own block and piecing it together over the course of a year or so. I love the idea and I think one thing that could help out the community would be to get younger folks (20's and teenagers) like myself into the hobby, to increase demand and supply and get more of these around!
« Last Edit: January 28, 2020, 11:09:27 PM by Tanman »
Kubota ea300
Metro 12/2

mike90045

• Mendocino Metro
  • Mmmm BBQ
    • View Profile
    • Mikes Solar PV page
« Reply #47 on: January 29, 2020, 05:35:54 AM »
Maybe coming up with a 3D printing master data file, print your block in plastic, and use it as a lost wax style mold master.  All the proper blending of corners and reinforcement webs for mounting feet, sprues, vents and such could be cast right in. 

dkmc

• View Profile
« Reply #48 on: January 29, 2020, 07:36:24 AM »
That is interesting. Because back in the 1990's, (I have been attending 'Engine shows' since about 1985-ish) I noticed VERY few women. It seemed strange. And the ones that were there were well past 50. Once in awhile there was the out-of-place 20-something-pretty good looking girl. Rare. I was convinced the world was DOOMED. Now-a-days, for the last 15? years, there has been a steady, and lately HUGE increase in family as well as the 20-30-something crowd. The Boyz and their women. Short-shorts and Tank tops included. It's a 'strange' sight.....why would these young people be remotely intrested in all this rusty old junk??
Dunno........but REALLY glad to see this new trend, with the scenery that goes with it....
Yes, I'm guess I'm qualified as a 'dirty old man' these years.
« Last Edit: January 29, 2020, 07:41:04 AM by dkmc »
Machinist, fabricator, designer, fixer

dkmc

• View Profile
« Reply #49 on: January 29, 2020, 09:44:51 AM »

Glort....my Man.
I feel your troubles and sympathize with you. I am a fully-semi qualified USA non-certified photography inspector and interpreter.
I invite you, and I implore you to send me samples of the work that troubles you for my complete evaluation and recommendation.
PLEASE, do not hold back, as difficult as it must be. Send any and all renditions of your works that have the least concern or that which you feel is troubling in nature, and I shall DO my best to analyze, disseminate, and fully inspect. Huh....Then work out, and report back to you with my findings. DO not delay, and send them ASAP. Your well being depends on immediate action.
Machinist, fabricator, designer, fixer

gusbratz

• View Profile
« Reply #51 on: April 06, 2020, 06:14:35 AM »
glort, you would be surprised what the Amish in my area are into, there is one here with a full line drive powered sheet metal shop. he make stainless steel triple wall chimney pipe for about 1/8th of what it costs at the regular outlets. a lot of my friends keep telling me I have got to go see his shop.  you place your order and he makes the whole chimney in 1 piece so there are no seams.

to the original poster I do a lot of heavy fab work for fun and  am an amateur machinist. I have made backhoe buckets from junk and it Is very hard to get all the holes to line up well.  the engine frame would be at a higher level of precision than that. I would recommend fabbing as you said from a combination of 1/2  and 3/8 plate for the top and sides and then before you do any machining anneal the whole assembly in an oven at around 1100-1200 overnight  to relieve any stresses before machining.  sounds totally do-able if you have a good sized mill/planer and a original block to get all the critical dimensions and bolt patterns off of.

snowman18

• View Profile
« Reply #52 on: April 06, 2020, 06:43:39 AM »
I'm surprised you blokes down under have never heard of this Company, they reverse engineered a cast iron Austin Healey engine block then made the patterns to cast it in aluminum.

DMD Australia - Austin Healey 3000 Aluminium Engine Block

https://healeyfactory.com.au/austin-healey-original-works-alloy-block/

DMD – Austin Healey 3000 Alloy / Aluminium Engine – Development and Manufacturing Process -click here for more information

DMD – Austin Healey 3000 Alloy / Aluminium Engine Completed Installation – click here for more information

dieselspanner

• View Profile
« Reply #53 on: April 15, 2020, 10:12:47 PM »
Hi All
To go back to the original post, I think I know where there's a bloke who could knock up a CS short block on his lunch break.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=81m08-D5Otc&t=670s

When you look at his 'stock' steel, his premises and equipment you have to admire his workmanship.

Well worth 23 minuets of your day........

Cheers
Stef

Tighten 'til it strips, weld nut to chassis, peen stud, adjust with angle grinder.

sirpedrosa

• 21NOV2019 - Finally I hear that sound... again
    • View Profile
Re: DIY Short block - Vodka amasing to free the mind
« Reply #54 on: April 16, 2020, 05:38:04 PM »
Hi Gentles

Just a add to the rant.

Vodka is amazing to free the mind, isnt it? THE NEED MAKE THE WILL!

Stay safe.
VP

Ps: no need to reply!
By order of firing up:
Bernard 18A - 1968 (mama's water pump - year of my birth)
Petter PAZ1 - Jun 1967, 3HP, sn 416xxxx
Petter PAZ1 - Nov 1979, 3HP, sn 425xxxx
Lister 12/2 - 12651227, the pearl!
Deutz MAH 914, 1952 - Zόndfix in chamber and go (7Mai2023).

veggie

• Keep Calm and Start the Lister !
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: April 21, 2020, 07:48:36 PM »

This is the video where the guy made the block itself.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2bRWsQ1t46E
- 6/1 GM90 Listeroid - Delco 33si Alternator
- Changfa R175 - Lease/Neville Alternator
- JiangDong R165 Air cooled - 2 kw
- Changfa S195 (Waiting for a project)

dieselspanner

• View Profile
« Reply #56 on: April 21, 2020, 08:38:05 PM »
Thanks for that, Veggie, he's amazing!

That led me onto this...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y-szy7TrlpQ

Which must be the first of the series.

I wish I could speak Russian, I've picked up a few words over the years, working with east block engineers and in Kazakhstan, where Russian was easier to use that Kazakh.

If we could clone his DNA with that of Bert Munroe and Butch - 38ac and gave the baby a Whitworth spanner to cut their teeth on it would be welding before it could spell Lego.

If it was a boy, even better!

Seriously, he's discussing crank balancing and building, bearing alignment and then doing it, after knocking up 'knife and fork conrods.

Ok, it's not going to be a highly stressed unit for cracking out sub 10 seconds over a quarter mile, but the use of a basic workshop and tools is a joy to watch.

He even welds whilst wearing flip flops, for crying out loud, what are heroes made of?

Cheers
Stef

Tighten 'til it strips, weld nut to chassis, peen stud, adjust with angle grinder.