Author Topic: DIY Short block  (Read 4051 times)

dieselspanner

• View Profile
Re: DIY Short block
« Reply #60 on: April 15, 2020, 10:12:47 PM »
Hi All
To go back to the original post, I think I know where there's a bloke who could knock up a CS short block on his lunch break.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=81m08-D5Otc&t=670s

When you look at his 'stock' steel, his premises and equipment you have to admire his workmanship.

Well worth 23 minuets of your day........

Cheers
Stef

Tighten 'til it strips, weld nut to chassis, peen stud, adjust with angle grinder.

glort

• View Profile
« Reply #61 on: April 16, 2020, 01:22:55 PM »

I was just talking to my mate last night and sharing some links to home made tractors some of these Russians have built as well as other things.  they are a Damn clever people and make things better than commercially available out of scrap.
We were looking at some of these Little tractors and the amount of Land they work with them that westerners would Complain a 50HP tractor wasn't big enough and these guys are doing it with things powered by 6Hp china Diesels.

I think they also build the most clever designs in oil burners as well and one thing must be cheap there is welding rods. They seem to think nothing out of building something that needs about 1000M of welding all up.

Got a lot of respect for these Russkies.  They don't seem to have caught the western  Cupcake/ snowflake Virus, they are an incredibly resourceful, hands on, self sufficient and reliable people. I learn a lot from watching Vids how they do things even though I don't understand a word they say or write.  Many of them don't require that anyway as it's all shown in demonstration rather than words.

I'll bet they don't get their countrymen always asking them for " Plans" for the simplest things Imaginable like I do all the damn time.
If you can't work out how to build it from seeing it, you sure don't have the skills to build it no matter what other info you are given.

Russians seem to leave us westerners for dead when it comes to making things from junk. Looking at the scrap this guy used to make a sump/ cover for that engine I would have been running round all day throwing it aside and looking for one piece of unused metal.

Smart Fellas!

sirpedrosa

• 21NOV2019 - Finally I hear that sound
    • View Profile
Re: DIY Short block - Vodka amasing to free the mind
« Reply #62 on: April 16, 2020, 05:38:04 PM »
Hi Gentles

Just a add to the rant.

Vodka is amazing to free the mind, isnt it? THE NEED MAKE THE WILL!

Stay safe.
VP

Ps: no need to reply!
Bernard 18A - 1968 (mama's water pump - year of my birth)
Petter PAZ1 - Jun 1967, 3HP, sn 416xxxx
Petter PAZ1 - Nov 1979, 3HP, sn 425xxxx
Lister 12/2 - 12651227, the pearl!

veggie

• Keep Calm and Start the Lister !
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: April 21, 2020, 07:48:36 PM »

This is the video where the guy made the block itself.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2bRWsQ1t46E
- 6/1 GM90 Listeroid - Delco 33si Alternator
- Changfa R175 - Lease/Neville Alternator
- Kubota Z482 - 4kw
- JiangDong R165 Air cooled - 2 kw

dieselspanner

• View Profile
« Reply #64 on: April 21, 2020, 08:38:05 PM »
Thanks for that, Veggie, he's amazing!

That led me onto this...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y-szy7TrlpQ

Which must be the first of the series.

I wish I could speak Russian, I've picked up a few words over the years, working with east block engineers and in Kazakhstan, where Russian was easier to use that Kazakh.

If we could clone his DNA with that of Bert Munroe and Butch - 38ac and gave the baby a Whitworth spanner to cut their teeth on it would be welding before it could spell Lego.

If it was a boy, even better!

Seriously, he's discussing crank balancing and building, bearing alignment and then doing it, after knocking up 'knife and fork conrods.

Ok, it's not going to be a highly stressed unit for cracking out sub 10 seconds over a quarter mile, but the use of a basic workshop and tools is a joy to watch.

He even welds whilst wearing flip flops, for crying out loud, what are heroes made of?

Cheers
Stef

Tighten 'til it strips, weld nut to chassis, peen stud, adjust with angle grinder.