Author Topic: Listeroid pressurized oil system / Rebuild  (Read 3069 times)

farmerjohn

• View Profile
Listeroid pressurized oil system / Rebuild
« on: January 04, 2020, 06:09:31 PM »
Hey guys,

Thought I would share some photos / videos of my Listeroid rebuild
https://photos.app.goo.gl/eZ4YnjaGkPcPPXrk6

I added an external pressurized oil system to it.  It holds about 50L of oil and is constantly filtered.  I machined some bronze bushings with oil grooves, drilled oil galleries in the crankshaft, etc

Its kinda overkill but I have pressurized oil going to the main bearing, both of the roller bearings, both camshaft bearings, the idler gear, etc..  Also still has splash

I put near 10,000 hrs on this engine before the rebuild..  running 100% WVO

It died only because I let it run out of oil..  (the original oil pump spring a leak)

It is now fully automated with a generator controller and charges a very large 80Kwh lithium battery pack.  I run it for about 24hrs to charge the batteries and then live off the batteries for about 3 days.   It auto starts back up when the voltage gets too low.  The gen controller monitors cylinder head temps, oil pressure, RPM, etc and will pull a solenoid on the rack if there are issues.  There is a heat exchanger on the exhaust and I have an insulated pipe going to the house.  When its running - it heats my house 100%

It should run forever now!!  So far I have about 500hrs on it since rebuild and its going strong

Please don't make fun of the red paint!  :)  I had a can of Glyptol and went to town inside and out

Hope this inspires others

John

broncodriver99

• View Profile
Re: Listeroid pressurized oil system / Rebuild
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2020, 06:51:43 PM »
WOW! Nice work!

dkmc

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2020, 02:34:55 AM »

I am a fan of both gadgets, and systems, so you work is very interesting to me. Looks like you generator is 3 phase?
Do post more about your project.
Machinist, fabricator, designer, fixer

farmerjohn

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2020, 09:58:43 AM »

I am a fan of both gadgets, and systems, so you work is very interesting to me. Looks like you generator is 3 phase?
Do post more about your project.

It is single phase but fed into a power factor correction boost converter which gives me near unity power factor with very minimal harmonics

Its an interleaved boost converter which acts to cancel out the harmonics using a pwm signal at 200Khz 180 degrees out of phase of each other - near matches the incoming sine wave perfectly

In my pictures I was using 4 PFC modules..  they were giving me issues because they were actually over exciting the exciter coil in my ST head which caused a huge voltage spike and killed 2 out of 4 of my units that are pictured in the link..  That was an expensive mistake..  each one cost me approx $300 USD

I have since switched to using a single modified PC power supply..  a corsair HX1200..  the primary side is over built and can supply over 4KW of PFC power at a regulated 390V DC

All I had to do was to replace the inrush current limiter thermistors to accommodate the larger loads..  this particular power supply is over built on the primary side compared to its rated output - which is only limited by the secondary side

I got inspiration from this posting on toms hardware guide:
https://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/corsair-hx1200-psu,5102-3.html

I was going to re-wire my generator to a six phase with dual 3 phase bridge rectifiers providing 12 pulses before I found the power supply..  It gets rid of all the harmful harmonics with ease..

I glued a thermistor to the primary heatsink with thermal epoxy and connected that to my generator controller..  if the diodes or rectifiers get too hot - it will shut down the engine

The boost convertor feeds into a MPPT solar charge controller which charges my batteries and supports any loads in my house while running

I am connected to the grid but I am fully off grid between solar and my listeroid..  I treat the grid as my backup

vdubnut62

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2020, 06:21:07 PM »
Wow, you are a very talented individual. EE, ME, machinist, mechanic and farmer?
Keep the pictures coming!
Ron.
"The penalty good men pay for indifference to public affairs is to be ruled by evil men."   Plato.

"Remember, every time a child is responsibly introduced to the best tools for the protection of freedoms, a liberal weeps for the safety of a criminal." Anonymous

farmerjohn

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 06, 2020, 01:52:03 PM »
Wow, you are a very talented individual. EE, ME, machinist, mechanic and farmer?
Keep the pictures coming!
Ron.

Thanks

I have to rely on this engine to survive off grid.  It saves me more than $6000 per year just on the cost of propane to heat my house.  Not including the savings in Electric costs.

So even if I spend a few thousand on the project every few years - I am way ahead of the game

Plus its fun  :)

John