Puppeteer

Author Topic: First smoke for the Z482  (Read 768 times)

veggie

• Keep Calm and Start the Lister !
    • View Profile
First smoke for the Z482
« on: December 29, 2019, 12:17:31 AM »
Hi All,

Here's a quick look at the kubota Z482 build that I just finished.
I bought the engine used and it came from a freight truck Auxiliary Power Unit.
Internally it is in excellent shape.
It's coupled via belt drive to a 4kw generator head.
I have been pecking away at this project for 3 years. Nice to finally have it completed.

First smoke...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hDcWbOcVmGQ

It was not this pretty when I first got it. Picture below.

Veggie
« Last Edit: December 29, 2019, 12:20:30 AM by veggie »
- 6/1 GM90 Listeroid - Delco 33si Alternator
- Changfa R175 - Lease/Neville Alternator
- Kubota Z482 - 4kw
- JiangDong R165 Air cooled - 2 kw

dkmc

• View Profile
Re: First smoke for the Z482
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2019, 01:09:36 AM »

Very nice looking unit. Runs nice as well.
But if you paint the Kubota Cat yellow, do the price of the Kubota parts automatically triple in cost?
 ;D

veggie

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2019, 01:31:21 AM »

Thanks dkmc,

Believe me, Kubota parts are not cheap either.   :-\
- Kubota Z482 - 4kw

dkmc

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2019, 01:39:48 AM »

Thanks dkmc,

Believe me, Kubota parts are not cheap either.   :-\

Oh yes, I know......

glort

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 30, 2019, 08:20:13 AM »

You always setup and present your engines so well mate. Your engineering is also inspirational on every one of your machines I have seen pics or Vids of. You are a very talented and neat and tidy man... completely opposite to my own ways. :0)

I got a Kubota 682? a few months back and love the thing. Running it on straight Veg and even through the GPs are not working ( some wiring Issue I haven't bothered with yet) the starts easy and Purrs like a Kitten.
I think it's very quiet just with the original exhaust and intake and certainly smooth enough too.

It's a compact little engine that I think is much easier to adapt Drive components to than a lot of other engines.  These things are NOT cheap at all here and not that easy to come across but I think If I can find a decent one at a reasonable ( high) price I'll grab another and piss off some of the one lungers I have.
Apart from anything else, These things just looks so small and cute..... Like a little baby Cummins that's still got a lot of growing to do!

For the size and weight they do great output and seem VERY reliable and with great longevity.

You sure do have a nice collection now. About every type and layout of diesel there is.

Great work yet again mate. A real credit to you!

dkmc

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 30, 2019, 03:07:12 PM »
I agree with glort, it is a very nice looking rig, well presented and nice workmanship. I have a D722 3 cylinder Kubota in a mower, runs along smooth like an electric motor. Around 2700 hours and no troubles, very good on fuel.

glort

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 30, 2019, 11:57:32 PM »

722 is what I have. Still learning the Kubota Numbers and getting mixed up.  There are 3 engines in the series.
482, 722 and 905.  I think the 722 is about 12Hp but they seem to rate them differently depending on who is specifying the HP.
Like you say, runs smooth and the fuel consumption is nothing.

Just looking on the websites, only one I can find atm is a 2 Cyl which I think is in the 300CC range. I'd prefer larger rather than smaller, they will only use the fuel they need to drive the load so no loss having a larger engine that's working easier.

dkmc

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 31, 2019, 12:12:45 AM »

My 722 is 22hp at 3600 RPM. Could very well be 12hp at 1800 as well.

glort

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 31, 2019, 12:40:50 AM »

Uggh!
I'm confused well and truly now.  There is currently a 602 as well but I don't know if that was in the older series engine I have. I thought there were only 3 but who knows? I also thought mine was a 6 something but....

I think I may also be confusing KW and HP on the outputs. That said, i'm still seeing pretty wide variations in specs given for the same engines ( and different ones in the series) from different sites. 21 HP is mentioned for the 722 but I'm thinking maybe I have the 602 now?

Funny enough, I haven't paid that much attention to this engine. Got it, didn't have to do a thing to it and the thing runs so nice I haven't looked into it much.
I'll have to check exactly what I DO have.

Don't make a lot of difference, the thing is so nice to use and has heaps of power for what I'm ever likely to do with it.
Gladly get another one in any size.  I think I could make one of those quieter than a roid and have a lot less other issues to deal with as well.

glort

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 31, 2019, 01:43:40 AM »

OK, Mine is definitely a 722 rated at 18 HP in that model/ year.

IF yours is 22 HP , it may in fact be a 782.  That's the HP they seem to be rated at.  I can't see any 20 hp ratings for the 722. There does seem to be a turbo model 722 Though.  I was  Thinking about putting one on just for shits and Giggles.  You can get the little IHI's from fleabay for about $200.

Clearly more reading up to do on these things. There are a stack of them over different years and series.

dkmc

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 31, 2019, 01:50:31 AM »

The tag on the valve cover says D722 and I'm believing that. The Kubota shop manual I have for the engine states 22hp @ 3600 RPM. I saw one 2 years ago at a tractor pull, in a garden tractor size pulling tractor. It had a big turbo on it, and an injection pump that was half the size of the engine! The owner said it was about 65HP at 4000 rpm.....Yikes.

broncodriver99

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 31, 2019, 04:09:26 AM »
I have a 722 as well. Was a freebie. Buddy of mine works for a fab/ installation outfit. They had the cylinder head gone through for some reason and about a month later they burnt up the welding head on it. He had 2 that were burnt up. One had a ton of hours on it and a burnt up head and this one which had just been gone through. He took the worn out one to the scrap yard before I could get to it but gave me this one. I pulled all of the burnt up welder bits off and just salvaged the engine. I guess i will find a project for it someday.

Glort,

There are several ratings depending on application. The gross industrial rating of a D722 is 20HP(14.9KW) +/- depending on the series. There are also generator use ratings. 17.8 HP(13.3KW) for stand by power and 16.4 HP(12.2KW) for continuous use. These are 3600 RPM ratings so they may be a little lower in your neck of the woods.(50Hz) IIRC Kubota offered the D722 in one of their lowboy generators and it was an 11KW unit.
« Last Edit: December 31, 2019, 04:11:35 AM by broncodriver99 »

glort

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 31, 2019, 05:43:32 AM »
It had a big turbo on it, and an injection pump that was half the size of the engine! The owner said it was about 65HP at 4000 rpm.....Yikes.

65Hp would be about 1.5 Hp CuI.  Plausible I spose.  Wouldn't expect it to last long though.
I'd be content to get 25/30 Hp out of one with a turbo as long as it made the right Noises!  :0)

Thanks for the heads up Bronco.  Should have thought of that but what I saw didn't give the normal specs for different times like one hour constant etc that they usually do.  Spose it's a bit academic with Diesels anyway.  The output really in most cases depends on how much you want to turn up the pump and how hard you want to run them.

I'm a BIG fan of under driving engines.  Common practise in industry although most people are still of the mistaken belief you have to push diesels hard.  Load them up at low revs and they will get to temp and still be under stressed and live longer lives.

Just had a look through the sales sites, Not much going except an 1100 the seller wants $3200 for.
Talk about dreamers! I'll wait a month and make a reasonable offer but generally if they are that deluded they are the type of idiots that say something inane like " I rather take it to the tip than see it for less."
Never could fathom the stupidity of that sort of statement.

veggie

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 31, 2019, 03:41:21 PM »
glort,

Thanks for the kind comments. I was interested to see that you ran yours on WVO.
That is what I have planned for this one.
Start/stop on diesel and running on WVO.
I was not aware when I got the engine, but I later found out that they are Indirect Injection which makes them perfect for alternative fuels.
The video above was the first time it started. A test start. It had no coolant so I could only idle for a few seconds.
After I added coolant I ran it again an took a slightly longer video below.
The engines run fairly quiet. I took the engine up to the 2600 rpm generator setting and it did not get overly loud.
The RED spring loaded toggle beside the ignition switch is for the glow plugs.
Fuel tank is for test only.
PS: you will notice a small drip leak where the rad hose meets the cylinder head. That loose connection has since been fixed. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I-9x786vsh8&feature=youtu.be

« Last Edit: December 31, 2019, 03:45:30 PM by veggie »
- Kubota Z482 - 4kw

glort

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 31, 2019, 11:46:03 PM »

Funny you mention the leaking radiator hose.  Mine had the same thing and I thought it would need a new housing.  Turned out to be the simplest of fixes, tighten the thing up.

I don't pay much attention to indirect or not injection. In my repeated experience it doesen't matter that much. What does matter is the injector pump type and these have the best pump you can have so all good.

My engine is running perfectly clean on veg and I have been a Hypocrite and haven't even given it the water treatment yet. Just seen no reason to so far. Will definitely get to it though, just so I can Run a water/ meth mix if nothing else!

In temps 20C and above, I don't see much need to start and stop on diesel. I was starting mine on straight veg in cooler temps when I got it. Yes, it did take a bit of cranking but I like that. Gives the oil pump a chance to get some pressure in the bearings before the engine lights. And also , The Gps aren't working on mine.  I was told the glow switch itself wasn't working when I got it but it's more than that. Seems to be some wiring problem because when I try to jump the GP's, the starter turns. Maybe someone has wired then together? I'll just isolate them all together and make up a separate circuit rather than trying to find where the existing wiring is wrong.

In winter, especially if it snows where you are, I'd add 5-10% Ulp to the oil. Makes starting easier and is also a form of anti freeze for the oil in lowering the gel point.  In summer adding ULP will probably eliminate the need to do the diesel start stop thing . I haven't worried about that on my vehicles in about 15 years.... or heating the oil or any of that other parroted veg mantra.  It's mostly bunkum but people seem to feel a need to complicate things and believe simple and straightforward can't work.

I notice on your second Vid quite a bit of induction noise. Mine appears to have a different air Filter to yours and has a long rubber hose coming off it as well.  Perhaps a car air cleaner may make it quieter still? I like using those as they have huge flow and capacity for the engines we are putting them on and if the air filter ever does clag up, they are cheap and readily available to replace.

I also notice your engine has a proper alternator. Mine has a permanent magnet generator which is OK but I think only 14 A.  I want to put on a decent one like yours.

You may have taken your time with it but it's certainly a very nice and well done setup!