Author Topic: Lister ST2 with Brush 7KVA Generator  (Read 8929 times)

alexm

• View Profile
Re: Lister ST2 with Brush 7KVA Generator
« Reply #15 on: August 30, 2018, 01:51:46 PM »
I don’t think the millennials will do up anything... they’ll chuck it in the ‘recycle bin’ and ship it abroad while they’ll just buy a new one.  ;D

Good photo! Is it 40W or 60W it needs to set it off. I doubt these days many things would set it off... turning on a LED light for example!

ajaffa1

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 30, 2018, 02:18:12 PM »
Hi Alexm, I wired in a 60 watt light bulb right next to it, with a switch. If the power drops out unexpectedly I can walk down to the shed and flick a switch and have power/light, I then have to walk up to the distribution board and throw the cross over switch. Takes me less than a minutes but I still have to reset every electric device in the house that has a digital timer.  >:(

I worry about the up and coming generations, their skill set is so focused on the throw away society that they can`t do anything for themselves. With advances in computing and robotics they are going to be redundant before they even get started. At least in my youth there were jobs for people who were willing to work and learn skills.

Bob

alexm

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 22, 2018, 01:31:16 PM »
Well, I've wired it up and it only reaches 12V  :-[

I've got the near two connections (that comes off the slip ring) as the AC and the far two (that heads back together toward the windings) are the DC. Is this right?

The two I've got as DC, one was yellow with 'R1' on it and the other one was coloured red (now I've coloured it black and red because that is the only colours I've got!)

Do I need to apply a ‘shunt’ or something? When I tested the old circuit with a volt meter I saw 230V and batteries were disconnected?

« Last Edit: September 22, 2018, 03:50:54 PM by alexm »

ajaffa1

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 23, 2018, 09:52:59 AM »
Hi Alexm, looks right to me. Try reversing the two wires to the auxiliary field.

Bob.

alexm

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 23, 2018, 01:24:40 PM »
Hi Bob,

At the moment I have no wiring present bar the 5 wires exiting the alternator... I noticed that the black DC and the blue AC neutral are normally wired together, so I did that and this time I saw it count up to 235V   :D

Alex

ajaffa1

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 23, 2018, 02:41:04 PM »
Way to go Alex, not bad for a one handed man with a bad leg. Any plans to enter yourself in an arse kicking competition, you just might win?  :laugh:

Bob

alexm

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 23, 2018, 04:56:32 PM »
Ha ha!  ;D

Now we are free of the selenium rectifier I put on a bit of load this time... 3KW heater, 1.2KW heater and a 0.5KW lamp done with ease!

alexm

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 11, 2020, 03:06:12 PM »
This ST2 got put on hold, kind of...  ;)

Here it is currently (Youtube link):

https://youtu.be/pmEmZY5gU1k

I've got a DSE3110 which I'll get wired in... I was hoping to find someone else who's done it for a Lister?  ;D

alexm

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 16, 2020, 05:22:20 PM »
By the way... I had to 'shunt' (apply excitation) to get it up and running again. I suspect that last time I did it I must have supplied an excitation to the wiring. This time I had the negatives connected (AC+DC) and I just had to apply 12V to the wiring of the DC (the old 24V motor side of things) and it instantly turned on.  8)

alexm

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 18, 2020, 08:00:09 PM »
What sort of radio suppressant capacitors work well as replacements?

In the manual it says they are 4uF capacitors (attached between the windings and the generator body) but I can't find any that are just one wire out and other terminal is where it screws to the body. I take it you can solder on the old wire to one terminal and then you need to solder on the other to go to the generator body?

Thanks,

Alex

alexm

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: June 12, 2020, 03:30:45 PM »
Here she is currently...

https://youtu.be/yhFEm3_5i24

Things still to do:
  • Excitation still needs sorting. I thought I could use DSE's D+ (for the small engine alternator) on the big (24V DC/240V AC) Brush but it doesn't seem to work. Plan B is to use a reduced battery current and it could fire at the same time as the starter motor (or turned off via a timer before the starter motor)?
  • Stopping needs a bracket to connect the stop solenoid to the fuel off/stop

alexm

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: June 15, 2020, 06:27:42 PM »
Here's a temporary fuel stop with solenoid which seems to work quite well... it's now starting and stopping via the DSE control.  8)

« Last Edit: June 15, 2020, 06:29:43 PM by alexm »