Author Topic: SR3 Strip down  (Read 1725 times)

manfromthemist

• View Profile
SR3 Strip down
« on: December 22, 2019, 04:21:39 PM »
Hi Everyone,
wishing you all a very Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year.
I've recently purchased  SR3 Gen set that the previous owner was going to scrap. It was in working order but as I wanted to refurb it I began to strip it down, I'm now trying to remove the flywheel which is well stuck and probably never benn removed since new. I've removed the large retaining bolt and fashioned a puller to use the existing flexible coupling mounting holes in the flywheel, nothing moved exept the puller bent.
My question is should it be that tight, have i missed something that I should have removed and haven't and any idea's how to remove the flywheel
thanks in advance

snowman18

• View Profile
Re: SR3 Strip down
« Reply #1 on: December 23, 2019, 03:21:20 AM »
Link to ST workshop manual live for 30 days. the ST is very similar to your SR

https://tinyurl.com/vc7pwml

Hugh Conway

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 24, 2019, 03:17:35 AM »
Had the same reluctant-to-remove flywheel with the SR2 that I had a few years ago.
As I recall, same situation with bending puller, etc. What did the trick was to use a piece of chain over the large retaining bolt. The large retaining bolt very slightly backed off.  The chain was bolted to the flywheel via the removed cooling fan bolts with as little slack as possible. Drove a steel wedge between the retaining bolt and the chain.. Wacked it straight on with a large malletizer. Drove in the wedge a bit more. Wacked again. Popped loose after a few tries. Don't back out the retaining bolt very much or you may damage the threads, just enough for the wheel to move.
YMMV
Good luck
Cheers
Hugh
JKson 6/1  (Utterpower PMG ) Off-grid
Lister 6/1 Start-O-Matic engine......running with PMG
1978 Royal Enfield (glutton for punishment by Indian iron)
1963 BMW R-27 project

manfromthemist

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 24, 2019, 11:11:18 AM »
many thanks for the idea's, will give them a go after Christmas,

manfromthemist

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 24, 2019, 11:38:43 AM »
couldn't wait till Thursday so went strait into the work shop and follwed your advice, as well as the advice in the ST manual, replaced the retaining screw, turned it out two turns, placed the bent puller, tightened, and whacked it three time with a piece of hard wood 100x100x500mm, came strait off
now  i can relax tomorrow and have a great day with the grand kids,
many thanks
Have a wonderfull Christmas everyone]