Author Topic: Idler gear wear pics  (Read 3026 times)

Mtour

• View Profile
Idler gear wear pics
« on: December 06, 2019, 12:54:31 AM »
Hi
 I have replaced the bearings in the metro, and installed a bronze idler gear. This is a new to me Metro with low hours I believe... I ran it for a few hours with the original steel idler gear and found lots of metal on the magnets,some of the metal looked like small wood shavings.

Now with the bronze idler gear I am finding lots of suspended bronze in the oil. I have read on the subject and my guess is that the backlash is either too tight on a gear or to loose on another. I can not hear any noise from the gears while running. Any chance you could tell from the pictures whether I should run the engine and let the bronze idler settle in or should I come up with another fix.

Thanks.. Dave..
« Last Edit: December 06, 2019, 01:11:48 AM by Mtour »

EdDee

• View Profile
Re: Idler gear wear pics
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2019, 10:29:50 AM »
Hi Dave,

A brief look at the pics tells me you should either replace the steel gears or spend some long, careful time with a file and emery cloth to dress and clean up the tooth pressure faces... They're chewing up the brass gear quite efficiently...

Mesh looks a little loose, it could be improved upon, but the machining marks on the steel gears are "quite bad" to put it gently....

My not even .0001c worth...

Cheers
Ed
12/1 750RPM/9HP Roid 5kVA- WMO Disposal/Electricity & Hot Water Gen
12/1 650RPM/8HP Roid 4.5kVa - Demon Dino
Chinese Yanmar - Silent Runner with AutoStart
Classic Komatsu 1963 Dozer/Fergusson 35 Gold Belly ...
Bikes,Cars,Gunsmithing & Paintball...Oh yes, a 5Ha open air Workshop to play in!

32 coupe

• "Doc Johnson" on call !
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2019, 12:32:19 PM »

You need an offset idler bolt.

I have made a few for members here.

PM me if interested.

Gary

Metro 6/1 turning a ST 7.5 KW gen head
Changfa 1115 turning a ST 15 KW gen head
Ashwamegh 2/25
John Deere 110 TBL
New Holland TC 30

"I was sitting here reading this thinking what an idiot you are until I realized it was one of my earlier posts !"

Mtour

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2019, 01:58:06 PM »
Thanks for the replies..

I put the steel gear that came with the Metro back in, it did not have near the amount of play that the bronze gear had. Maybe these metal gears will polish themselves, I have lots of magnets in the sump..I am going to run it for a few hours and check the magnets..

Thanks..

veggie

• Keep Calm and Start the Lister !
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 15, 2019, 03:47:13 PM »
You say the engine has low hours.
The metal you originally found on the magnets may be from the initial running-in of the engine.
I think you are correct to change the oil and run it for a while and monitor it with the cast idler.
If the lash is somewhat correct on the cast iron idler you may be ok for thousands of hours.
Many people have good life from the iron idler. Others have had them break prematurely.
Most blame goes to poor casting quality and/or excess tooth lash.

« Last Edit: December 21, 2019, 03:11:36 PM by veggie »
- 6/1 GM90 Listeroid - Delco 33si Alternator
- Changfa R175 - Lease/Neville Alternator
- JiangDong R165 Air cooled - 2 kw
- Changfa S195 (Waiting for a project)

dkmc

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 20, 2019, 10:54:36 PM »

The crank gear has sharp edges, galled buildup on the tooth faces, etc. It's hobbing your bronze gear to death. Some careful de-burring and smoothing will stop the problem.
Machinist, fabricator, designer, fixer

veggie

• Keep Calm and Start the Lister !
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 21, 2019, 03:17:22 PM »

The crank gear has sharp edges, galled buildup on the tooth faces, etc. It's hobbing your bronze gear to death. Some careful de-burring and smoothing will stop the problem.

Good point dkmc and edDee,

A close look at those steel teeth reveals an awful finish.
If the whole face of the teeth needs attention (and not just the burs at the end of the tooth),  you may find that you have excessive clearances after de-burring and may require an offset idler to bring it back into tolerance as 32coupe stated.
« Last Edit: December 21, 2019, 03:30:57 PM by veggie »
- 6/1 GM90 Listeroid - Delco 33si Alternator
- Changfa R175 - Lease/Neville Alternator
- JiangDong R165 Air cooled - 2 kw
- Changfa S195 (Waiting for a project)