Puppeteer

Author Topic: Carbon, in water  (Read 2234 times)

rgd2

• View Profile
Carbon, in water
« on: December 05, 2019, 11:51:34 PM »

LowGear

• Casey
  • What? My diesel had fries for lunch?
    • View Profile
Re: Carbon, in water
« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2019, 05:01:55 PM »
rdg2;  Was a blank screen intentional?

Clean utilization is important but notice this article reported nothing about the extraction and it's inherent problems.
NPR Tipper/Dump Truck
Kubota BX 2230
Witte BD Generator
SunnyBoy 6000 + SolarWorld 245

gadget

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2019, 05:20:22 AM »
Fascinating! Does anyone recognize the flywheel stationary engine in the photo? Looks allot like a lister but a 3.8L single piston?

gadget

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 12, 2019, 02:57:31 AM »

Anyone know what motor this is? I have been looking but have not found any info.

veggie

• Keep Calm and Start the Lister !
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 15, 2019, 03:56:58 PM »
Possibly a Dursley Lister 6/1 with a custom cylinder head made specifically for the research project ?
I see the ports on the head are oriented differently than a Lister.
- 6/1 GM90 Listeroid - Delco 33si Alternator
- Changfa R175 - Lease/Neville Alternator
- Kubota Z482 - 4kw
- JiangDong R165 Air cooled - 2 kw

glort

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 16, 2019, 08:35:58 AM »

Test engines often have variable compression. Wouldn't be hard to make a head to give that option.

The whole green washing and hysteria over coal is nothing more than a lot of ignorance.  Here the green obsessed idiots have blown up a number of col fired power stations and doa song and dance about replacing them with unreliables.  Of course when the power demand goes up and the unreliable fall hopelessly short yet again, what do they use now? Massive DIESEL fired generators.  Yeah, that's a step forward!   ::)

If coal can be made to a workable liquid fuel, it might overcome a lot of the real world problems the current flawed ideas of Electric and Hydrogen propulsion harbour.  One thing is for sure,  No one alive today is going to see electric planes in the sky or freighter  ships crossing the ocean. Ships that are already burning tar like oil could be a great market for this coal  fuel.

If pulverised material could be used as as fuel, perhaps things like waste plastics and Tyres could also be used which would address a couple of very significant  waste problems.

snowman18

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 16, 2019, 07:39:37 PM »
Glort are you referencing hard or soft coal, the latter is well know to contain mercury.

https://tinyurl.com/vmx5o22

glort

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 16, 2019, 10:32:13 PM »

Globull warming alarmism. Well known to contain liars that will say anything to promote their agenda no matter what the facts really are.   

Oz has loads of Black coal that is said to be the best in the world. That's why so many countries want it.

The BIG problem with all the Globull warming hysteria is it is a problem with NO cure.
Are people going to stop flying round the world for their Holidays and going to weather change Conferences and junkets that are on every month?
Are countries going to stop trading goods with one another?  Are the do Gooders all going to give up and not buy their Iphoneys, Tablets and other electronics they can't live without?  People going to stop Heating and cooling their homes, workplaces, Schools, Shopping centres and university's? What are we going to wear? Run round bare arse Naked with just  sacks made of Flax or hemp draped around us?

Are people going to go back to the '20's and give up their modern appliances like TV's and everything else?  Are we going to do away with private transportation ( because electric cars in cradle to grave cause as much emission's as ICE's) and are we going to go back to the local Village way of life where people live and do most everything within a few miles of their home?  WTF are we going to eat with all the green Nutters against agriculture and farming? We can't be building billions of solar panels or thousands of Turdbines because they cause plenty of emissions and require energy intensive process and transportation of base materials and Mining like EV's do. Plus turdbines are bird slaughter machines.

Of course you stick to the mandate and eliminate fossil fuels and you can't build Panels or turdbines or any other dam thing because they are all derived from Fossil fuels so the term renewable is a crock from the start.   Is everyone going to start growing their own food in the back yard? Going to be hard for the Millions of apartment dwellers in the citys. Hard to grow the amount of food needed without fertiliser and chemicals... all derived from fossil fuels.  Guess they are going to have to move out to the country where they can enact their " Sustainable " Life style living in Cob Yurts.  Thats going to require a lot of clearing of the bush and we can't have that! Oh dear, there's a conundrum!
 Is big Biz going to give up it's base foundation of every increasing growth and gubbermints be happy with stable or far more needed reduced Populations particularly in the first world?

NO!

NONE of this is ever going to happen because people want an ever easier life style not one that requires more effort or doing without every modern convenience possible.  The deciples of the green religion like to talk and make a big noise about these things but see how many would even be prepared to give up their Phones and see how the story changes.  A fraction of a single percent of them even come close to living up to the standards they preach.         At best, some of them throw up a few solar panels, take reusable bags to the supermarket and then complain about the very lifestyle and and quality of life the very things they protest provide them.  Moronic hypocrites!

For these reasons alone the whole Green Cult is a complete and utter farce and nothing but a Con job Big biz and Gubbermints have sucked millions of useful idiots into to help them make Billions in revenue from.
This is a completely flawed cause that has NO practical and real world answer that even those pushing it would ever be prepared to enact.  All the hollering and crying is just a bunch of gullible puppets whom typically do not think things through and predictably follow and swallow up the parroted mantras without.

If these people wanted a cause to occupy themselves with, something like removing plastic from the oceans would be a far more worthwhile and real world Beneficial endeavour.  This IS a real problem and it is something that a lot can be done about. If the money spent on globull warming frivolous solutions was put into cleaning up the oceans, it WOULD have a real world effect and do some good for the planet and the " Future generations" heartstrings that like to be pulled.
Before anyone gives me the greenwashing, provide evidence of what real world things you do to practice what you preach. I can shoot 99% of people down in 3 simple questions about their lifestyles and how they live.

I'm all for looking after the environment and doing the right thing but I'm dead against social brainwashing Bullshit causes that whether you believe them or not, have NO real world practical answer so are therefore pointless...... Other than as profit and revenue raisers for special interest groups, big biz and Gubbermints.   

There is NO substitute for coal.  That " Clean" nuke produces the most deadly, long lasting Toxins around. If nuke is so " Clean" why it the waste is  the most dangerous substances known and why do they have to be buried or stored in higly secured facilities? That's not a charastic of anything that is clean I have ever heard of.
Unreliable's are nothing more than a crutch.  Yes, they can certainly compliment FF in energy generation but without things like coal generation for support, in the majority of places they are unable to stand alone or anywhere near it.  There is the problem with night with solar and wind is a complete and utter failure around the world and is being quietly run away from everywhere.  Wind facilities are notorious for producing a fraction of their supposed output.  I laugh at the Green BS saying the wind is always blowing somewhere.  Yeah, but how MUCH wind is blowing is the question.  Without fail it's never near what the rating of the facility is.
Pumped hydro is a complete and utter farce as a grid supply as is batterys. The cost, and emissions of batterys on a grid level is laughable and relys on good weather for solar or wind to charge them anyway.

Natural resources like Hydro are great.... in the countries that have ample water supply like Norway.  Geo is great too but again very limited in it's availability.

Coal won't be going away in anyones lifetime alive now nor their Kids.  Sooner or later when the hype has died down and people realise this, ( which will only be when the lights go out and they have their cushy lifestyles interrupted)  they will learn to be thankful for the resources we have and stop pissing and moaning about things that aren't and never will be perfect but offer the benefits people aren't prepared to live without.

/rant

dax021

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 19, 2019, 03:23:23 PM »

If coal can be made to a workable liquid fuel, it might overcome a lot of the real world problems the current flawed ideas of Electric and Hydrogen propulsion harbour.  One thing is for sure,  No one alive today is going to see electric planes in the sky or freighter  ships crossing the ocean. Ships that are already burning tar like oil could be a great market for this coal  fuel.

Been done in S. Africa for at least the last 30 yrs.  Look up "Sasol". Technology was developed in the eighties (or maybe earlier) when we were facing sanctions because of apartheid.

glort

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 20, 2019, 10:21:43 AM »

Been done in S. Africa for at least the last 30 yrs.  Look up "Sasol". Technology was developed in the eighties (or maybe earlier) when we were facing sanctions because of apartheid.

Wow.

A tiny little insignificant company worth $21 Bn and with 30K employees.  ::)
And these Johhny come latelys think they are doing something new? Seems this was invented back in WWII by the jerrys.
This mob have just put a new spin on an old practice.

Thank you for enlightening my ignorance.  Just shows what an investor revenue raising scheme this is. 

listard-jp2

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 03, 2020, 12:28:29 PM »
Fascinating! Does anyone recognize the flywheel stationary engine in the photo? Looks allot like a lister but a 3.8L single piston?

It is an Indian List(Steroid) engine (18/1 I believe), which accounts for the 3.8 Litre stated cubic capacity.

I wonder if they carried out a full strip and rebuild before running it for the first time. Who knows they may even have been reviewing this forum as lurkers for some inside knowledge ;D

Possibly a Dursley Lister 6/1 with a custom cylinder head made specifically for the research project ?
I see the ports on the head are oriented differently than a Lister.

No not a genuine Lister CS, if you see that small blanking plate on the crankcase that would of been where a dipstick was placed (that is a unique feature seen on the single level sump style of Indian produced crankcases). Genuine Lister CS crankcases never had such a feature. From the picture shown I believe they have simply placed a blanking place over this opening, and dispensed with the dipstick arrangement (difficult to tell exactly as the photo was getting grainy at the magnification I was viewing it at).

This is an 18/1 engine. I believe that Gary (dieselgman) imported some of these engines a while back, and 38AC was going to do a strip /rebuild thread on one (this was sometime before he stopped posting on here).

These engines are direct injection, and have a cross flow cylinder head as standard. Because they are a wet liner engine, if you look closely at the picture you will also notice the absence of water jacket side plates as well.
Finally whilst the components look very similar to Lister CS parts, they are generally much bigger and hence share very little in common.
Finally I would also speculate from the look of the solid flywheels, this engine has a crankshaft with bolted on counter balance weights.
« Last Edit: January 03, 2020, 08:15:28 PM by listard-jp2 »