Author Topic: Carbon, in water  (Read 5229 times)

rgd2

• View Profile
Carbon, in water
« on: December 05, 2019, 11:51:34 PM »

LowGear

• Casey
  • What? My diesel had fries for lunch?
    • View Profile
Re: Carbon, in water
« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2019, 05:01:55 PM »
rdg2;  Was a blank screen intentional?

Clean utilization is important but notice this article reported nothing about the extraction and it's inherent problems.
NPR Tipper/Dump Truck
Kubota BX 2230
Witte BD Generator
SunnyBoy 6000 + SolarWorld 245

gadget

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2019, 05:20:22 AM »
Fascinating! Does anyone recognize the flywheel stationary engine in the photo? Looks allot like a lister but a 3.8L single piston?

gadget

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 12, 2019, 02:57:31 AM »

Anyone know what motor this is? I have been looking but have not found any info.

veggie

• Keep Calm and Start the Lister !
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 15, 2019, 03:56:58 PM »
Possibly a Dursley Lister 6/1 with a custom cylinder head made specifically for the research project ?
I see the ports on the head are oriented differently than a Lister.
- 6/1 GM90 Listeroid - Delco 33si Alternator
- Changfa R175 - Lease/Neville Alternator
- JiangDong R165 Air cooled - 2 kw
- Changfa S195 (Waiting for a project)

snowman18

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 16, 2019, 07:39:37 PM »
Glort are you referencing hard or soft coal, the latter is well know to contain mercury.

https://tinyurl.com/vmx5o22

dax021

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 19, 2019, 03:23:23 PM »

If coal can be made to a workable liquid fuel, it might overcome a lot of the real world problems the current flawed ideas of Electric and Hydrogen propulsion harbour.  One thing is for sure,  No one alive today is going to see electric planes in the sky or freighter  ships crossing the ocean. Ships that are already burning tar like oil could be a great market for this coal  fuel.

Been done in S. Africa for at least the last 30 yrs.  Look up "Sasol". Technology was developed in the eighties (or maybe earlier) when we were facing sanctions because of apartheid.

listard-jp2

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 03, 2020, 12:28:29 PM »
Fascinating! Does anyone recognize the flywheel stationary engine in the photo? Looks allot like a lister but a 3.8L single piston?

It is an Indian List(Steroid) engine (18/1 I believe), which accounts for the 3.8 Litre stated cubic capacity.

I wonder if they carried out a full strip and rebuild before running it for the first time. Who knows they may even have been reviewing this forum as lurkers for some inside knowledge ;D

Possibly a Dursley Lister 6/1 with a custom cylinder head made specifically for the research project ?
I see the ports on the head are oriented differently than a Lister.

No not a genuine Lister CS, if you see that small blanking plate on the crankcase that would of been where a dipstick was placed (that is a unique feature seen on the single level sump style of Indian produced crankcases). Genuine Lister CS crankcases never had such a feature. From the picture shown I believe they have simply placed a blanking place over this opening, and dispensed with the dipstick arrangement (difficult to tell exactly as the photo was getting grainy at the magnification I was viewing it at).

This is an 18/1 engine. I believe that Gary (dieselgman) imported some of these engines a while back, and 38AC was going to do a strip /rebuild thread on one (this was sometime before he stopped posting on here).

These engines are direct injection, and have a cross flow cylinder head as standard. Because they are a wet liner engine, if you look closely at the picture you will also notice the absence of water jacket side plates as well.
Finally whilst the components look very similar to Lister CS parts, they are generally much bigger and hence share very little in common.
Finally I would also speculate from the look of the solid flywheels, this engine has a crankshaft with bolted on counter balance weights.
« Last Edit: January 03, 2020, 08:15:28 PM by listard-jp2 »