Author Topic: LET'S HELP BOB (aka AJAFFA1) RAISING HIS HOME FROM THE ASHES  (Read 21517 times)

sirpedrosa

• 21NOV2019 - Finally I hear that sound... again
    • View Profile
LET'S HELP BOB (aka AJAFFA1) RAISING HIS HOME FROM THE ASHES
« on: December 03, 2019, 08:52:54 AM »
Hi Gentles

THIS IS A GENERAL CALL TO LEF COMMUNITY TO PAY ATTENTION TO THE DONATION CAMPAIGN OPEN ON BEHALF OF BOB AND NARELLE, TO HELP REBUILDING THEIR HOME.

LET'S BE GENEROUS:Clik here:
https://www.gofundme.com/f/fire-relief-for-narelle-and-bob?utm_medium=email&utm_source=customer&utm_campaign=p_email%2B5806-thank-you-ask-share

Cheers
VP

By order of firing up:
Bernard 18A - 1968 (mama's water pump - year of my birth)
Petter PAZ1 - Jun 1967, 3HP, sn 416xxxx
Petter PAZ1 - Nov 1979, 3HP, sn 425xxxx
Lister 12/2 - 12651227, the pearl!
Deutz MAH 914, 1952 - Zündfix in chamber and go (7Mai2023).

broncodriver99

• View Profile
Re: LET'S HELP BOB (aka AJAFFA1) RAISING HIS HOME FROM THE ASHES
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2019, 02:55:30 PM »
Done. Thanks for finding this.

Bob, best of luck in the recovery. My thoughts and best wishes are with you and your family.

dieselspanner

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2019, 03:10:35 PM »
+1 from me

Do well,

Stef
Tighten 'til it strips, weld nut to chassis, peen stud, adjust with angle grinder.

mikenash

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2019, 06:03:53 PM »
Tried to put some $$ into there but the site doesn't like my debit card and I don't want to use a credit card online like that - anyone else have any issues with it?  Cheers

sirpedrosa

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 03, 2019, 07:38:58 PM »
Hi Mike

Mine is a mastercard debit and it worked nice.

Cheers
VP
PS: if you card has the figures behind it works, if not make a virtual card.
By order of firing up:

dieselspanner

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 04, 2019, 12:04:28 PM »
Visa debit was OK for me.

Cheers
Stef
Tighten 'til it strips, weld nut to chassis, peen stud, adjust with angle grinder.

dieselspanner

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 21, 2019, 01:54:37 PM »
Looks like visa debit wasn't ok for me, so I just did it again

Worth it for the 'Bump' alone!

Seasons Etc.

Cheers
Stef

AdeV

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 23, 2019, 07:21:06 AM »
Sounds like Oz is suffering the same problems we here in the UK suffer - houses in inappropriate places, and owners aren't allowed to take the necessary precautions to protect themselves. Here in the UK we rarely suffer from wildfires (although in 2018, we had a rare and very hot/dry summer, and there were a few moderately dangerous fires up on the moors around Manchester), our particular poison is flooding. So for years, developers have been building houses on the floodplains of rivers; then acting all surprised when said houses end up in 6ft of water whenever it rains hard. Cue much wailing and gnashing of teeth, but absolutely no taking of responsibility.

IMHO, responsibility falls in the following order:
 - The owner - for being daft enough to not realise what the word "floodplain" means
 - The developer, for building the house there in the first place
 - The local parasites government officials, for granting permission to the developer in the first place

These days, one of the first questions you get asked when taking out home insurance is: Has you house ever flooded? If yes = kiss your insurance goodbye. The knock on effect, of course, means that houses that have suffered flooding are suddenly relatively worthless & thus snapped up by people who can barely afford them anyway. And guess who's first to go wailing to the news camera crews when the inevitable happens? And guess who they blame (hint: It's not themselves)?

Fortunately, my house is on top of a bit of a hill; and I've got a massive 60ft x 60ft drain in my back garden (aka the Mersey Tunnel :D); it will take a shitload of rain before I suffer any flooding problems!
Cheers!
Ade.
--------------
1x Lister CS Start-o-Matic (complete, runs)
0x Lister JP4 :( - Sold to go in a canal boat.

Jetpilot

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 21, 2020, 02:23:01 PM »
I see the money is almost there.
Just added $400.

sirpedrosa

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 03, 2020, 09:57:31 PM »
Hi Gentles

In these times when everything is more difficult, we must also give support and solidarity to those who have lost everything, and above all, they are now looking to be reborn from the ashes - and now even more with this new misfortune that shows that there is nothing that is bad, and that it can't get any worse.

Bob and Narelle are doing their part - let's be generous and help them to raise the house.

Here are some pictures that show that hope does not die.

Cheers, and stay all safe.
VP

PS: Subtitles are what my eyes see, they may not correspond to what the subjects feel.

1 - Still here... and Narelle too.
2 - Memoirs under the tin.
3 - Narelle's pergola too.
4 - Start all over again.
5 - A gesture of solidarity ... that is not forgotten.
6 - Today ... start to heal the wounds.
By order of firing up:

ajaffa1

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 28, 2020, 10:16:45 AM »
Hi Guys, thanks to you all for your kindness, concern and generosity; it is very much appreciated.

Sorry to have not been on the Forum much recently, been a bit busy cleaning up the mess left by the fires and the floods that hit us several weeks later. All demolition work is now completed and my design for a replacement house is being drawn up by an architect. The local council tell me that they will fast track the application to rebuild.

While all this was going on, I have completed the generator shed I was building to house the Lister CS 6/1. I poured the concrete foundations on 7 November 2019, the day before the fires, with the intention of building a small insulated timber structure. Since then it has transformed into the utilities building for our yet to be built new house. It is now built out of solid concrete blocks and sand/cement rendered inside and out (it will not burn!). It houses the incoming electricity supply, washing machine, tumble dryer and hot water supply. It will also have to accommodate the computer and associated telecoms equipment. The local electricity company connected us to the main supply yesterday so we will be moving our caravan onto site in the coming week.

Remarkably and much to my wife`s irritation, I have found time to get the Lister CS cylinder sleeved and the cylinder head valve seats replaced. I have had to shoe horn the CS and ST generator head into a small corner of the new utilities building. For the foreseeable future it will be used only as a back up generator, however I would like it to also act as a heat source to heat hot water. The new hot water cylinder contains 160 liters of water that is heated by an electric element. It is a mains pressure unit with a pressure relief valve that is designed to blow at 80 degrees centigrade or in the event of excessive pressure, venting hot water/steam into the atmosphere. This tank has four 3/4 inch BSP tapings, one is the cold feed to the bottom of the tank. The second is hot water outlet from the top of the tank, the other two (one top, one bottom) are intended to be capped off. I am thinking to utilize these two to cool the CS via a heat exchanger. Does anyone have any experience of this?

I will try to post some photos tomorrow, once I have got the camera up and running.

Once again, thank you all
Bob

broncodriver99

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 28, 2020, 03:19:19 PM »
It's good to see you back Bob. Sounds like you are making some progress.

The heat transfer to the hot water tank can be as simple or complex as one wants to make it. The simplest way to go about it would be to build whats called a side arm heat exchanger directly attached to those spare attachment nipples. They are a copper tube in a tube design. Water from the lister would be pumped through the jacket of the HX and water from the water tank flows via thermosiphon to heat the tank. That way only one pump is required. You could also have two pumps and use a flat plate or coaxial heat exchanger which would be a little more compact and allow you to have a little more freedom in where you locate the HX. Here in the US any HX for domestic hot water is required to be double walled on the domestic water side to prevent potable water contamination. OZ may or may not have that requirement but it may be a good idea to implement depending on what you heat transfer medium will be. The only HX I have ever found that meets that requirement are coaxial HX units that are purpose built.

dieselspanner

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 28, 2020, 08:30:53 PM »
Hey Bob!

Welcome back, nice to see that you're moving ahead.

Ref the heat exchanger, didn't Ed Dee post up quite a bit on the subject a while back?

All the best

Cheers
Stef

ajaffa1

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 29, 2020, 09:36:17 AM »
Thanks for the welcome back guys, I do hope that everyone is well and avoiding covid19.

I had a good day today: fitted new piston and rings, fitted refurbished cylinder and cylinder head. The only problem I encountered was that because the cylinder head had been skimmed the locating dowels were about a millimetre too long, had to shorten them to allow the head to seat properly on the gasket.

This is probably not the right part of the forum to be posting pictures but there are a few below, including a photo of the heat exchange I was planning to use. It has a surface area somewhere between two and three times the cooling surface of the cylinder so it should be adequate. I was hoping to mount it vertically and thermo siphon both sides without having to use pumps, I will also have to find some sort of header tank/expansion vessel. You will notice in the pictures that I have raised the hot water cylinder up to facilitate thermo siphoning.

Bob

sirpedrosa

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 29, 2020, 10:56:01 AM »
Hi Bob

Nice to hear from you - finally!

You have been doing an incredible job, and it seems that things have a tendency to improve.

Your engines are taking their place (the machinist could have recessed the head locating dowels, has well).

By now I'll give you place to scratch your head thinking about that heat exchanger.

Stay safe, and all the best to both of you.
VP
By order of firing up: