Author Topic: Are these Redstone diesels?  (Read 12989 times)

mike90045

• Mendocino Metro
  • Mmmm BBQ
    • View Profile
    • Mikes Solar PV page
Re: Are these Redstone diesels?
« Reply #15 on: November 27, 2019, 04:18:28 AM »
i'd think an adapter for a 5 gallon water bottle, inverted - just like on a water cooler.  But maybe the plastic wont like the boiling.

EdDee

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 27, 2019, 07:27:40 AM »
+1 Mike.... An old Ali fire extinguisher would do the trick.....
12/1 750RPM/9HP Roid 5kVA- WMO Disposal/Electricity & Hot Water Gen
12/1 650RPM/8HP Roid 4.5kVa - Demon Dino
Chinese Yanmar - Silent Runner with AutoStart
Classic Komatsu 1963 Dozer/Fergusson 35 Gold Belly ...
Bikes,Cars,Gunsmithing & Paintball...Oh yes, a 5Ha open air Workshop to play in!

Hugh Conway

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 28, 2019, 12:58:09 AM »
George Breckenridge (Utterpower) sold the original Redstones in the U.S. Here in Canada they were sold by John Ferguson out of Ontario. They were hopper cooled, but came with an adapter plate to convert them to either pumped water cooling or thermosyphon. Some of the Utterpower site is still functional, but unfortunately the Redstone content is no more.
Here are c couple of links with photos of an adapter plate to replace the hoppers on the Changfa type engines, the Redstone adapter was much the same.
https://www.utterpower.com/diesel.htm
https://www.utterpower.com/changfa.htm
A friend bought a Redstone at the same time I got my Listeroid, we shared shipping costs. His is set up with a plate to allow thermosiphon, seems to work OK.
There were not very many imported by Breckenridge and Ferguson, as production stopped. The last ones to come to North America we reportedly assembled by "volunteers", that may be true, as we stripped one down on arrival and it was full of casting sand, untorqued bolts, and some stripped threads in the castings. After a really good internal cleaning and reassembly it ran (and still runs) well. What a beast though, it is almost unbearably noisy.
If the photos provided by Willw are indeed Redstones, and they are back in production, they are pretty well designed engines and may be worth having if they fit your power requirements.
Jim Calder (justliveoffgrid.com) bought out John Ferguson some years ago, and may still have Redstone parts. He sells Laidong single cylinder horizontals, as well as Listeroids and spare parts.
Cheers
Hugh
JKson 6/1  (Utterpower PMG ) Off-grid
Lister 6/1 Start-O-Matic engine......running with PMG
1978 Royal Enfield (glutton for punishment by Indian iron)
1963 BMW R-27 project

vdubnut62

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 28, 2019, 11:22:15 PM »
Sorry!  The Great Walla Walla Xing Dong is a hopper cooled Xing Dong S1100 driving an ST12
My avatar is a tiny picture of it.
For some silly reason it just reminded me of the old song about the Witch Doctor( oo EE oo AhAh walla walla ding dong) and I appropriated
and bastardized it :o
Glort, my 1115 has one of the conversion plates.  I plan to plumb it in with a shell and tube heat exchanger.
Ron.
« Last Edit: November 28, 2019, 11:35:11 PM by vdubnut62 »
"The penalty good men pay for indifference to public affairs is to be ruled by evil men."   Plato.

"Remember, every time a child is responsibly introduced to the best tools for the protection of freedoms, a liberal weeps for the safety of a criminal." Anonymous

Willw

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 30, 2019, 10:52:49 AM »
vdubnut62:  8)  :laugh:
Daily driver '97 GMC W4 tipper on WVO/Kerosene mix.
6/1 clone standby generator.
Too many projects.

vdubnut62

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 02, 2019, 07:06:41 AM »
Yes Glort, I plan to plumb the thing in with the woodboiler's storage tank. I figure that if the lights go out, I might as well get all the bang for my buck that I can. Besides, I scored a couple of super cool antique brass and copper shell and tube exchangers, I wouldn't want them to go to waste.

Ron.
"The penalty good men pay for indifference to public affairs is to be ruled by evil men."   Plato.

"Remember, every time a child is responsibly introduced to the best tools for the protection of freedoms, a liberal weeps for the safety of a criminal." Anonymous

evilpsych

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 01, 2020, 04:29:22 PM »

vdubnut62

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 05, 2020, 02:40:06 AM »
 Not a redstone. Redstones have 2 flywheels.
« Last Edit: January 05, 2020, 02:44:48 AM by vdubnut62 »

old seagull man

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 05, 2020, 03:34:35 AM »
A couple of pictures off the Mighty Redstone.
« Last Edit: January 05, 2020, 03:36:35 AM by old seagull man »

veggie

• Keep Calm and Start the Lister !
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 05, 2020, 03:23:52 PM »

They do look like the common Changfa type clones with an extra flywheel.
Was there anything specific about the redstones that gave them the reputation they have ( other than twin lister style flywheels) or are the single  flywheel clones as good?

Anyone know if twin wheel China clone engines are available?

Yes. They are available here...
http://www.0086up.com/ProductShow.asp?ID=129

Although I went to other main suppliers of Changfa style engines and could not find them.
JiangDong usually has all the styles http://www.enginejd.com/list_2_60_67.html
but they do not have the double flywheel.
I wonder if that double wheel unit is a previous generation and just a few plants are left building them?

« Last Edit: January 05, 2020, 03:33:31 PM by veggie »
- 6/1 GM90 Listeroid - Delco 33si Alternator
- Changfa R175 - Lease/Neville Alternator
- JiangDong R165 Air cooled - 2 kw
- Changfa S195 (Waiting for a project)