Author Topic: Lister TS2, insufficient oil in valve cover  (Read 2270 times)

madlabs

• View Profile
Lister TS2, insufficient oil in valve cover
« on: November 15, 2019, 05:24:49 PM »
HI All,

Pulled the valve cover today on the Lister TS2 and it appears there isn't enough oil making it to the top. One valve had at least some oil coming out of the little hole on the rocker arm but the other doesn't. Oil pressure to the top seems ok, when cracking the banjo fitting near the valve cover plenty of oil came out.

There is a little tube that comes up from where the oil enters the valve cover. It splits into two and appears to dive into the head, presumably to exit on the rocker arms. Can I pull the little tube assembly out to clean? Or can I blow through it in place? Both cylinders show the same oil pattern. 

madlabs

• View Profile
Re: Lister TS2, insufficient oil in valve cover
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2019, 11:26:34 PM »
Well, I took the oil lines off and blew them out. I didn't notice any blockage but it seems like it might be a little better. Still, both cylinders have one valve drier than the other and  I don't feel like it is enough. The oil pressure when warmed up is 25 PSI or a little less. This is lower than it should be but not by a lot. When I changed the oil I noticed some kind of glob go by as I dumped the pan into a 5 gallon bucket. I am a little concerned about that and wonder if the screen on the oil pump intake is partially blocked. I am looking for an oil pan gasket so I can drop the pan and check the screen.

How much oil should be up on the valve train?

sirpedrosa

• 21NOV2019 - Finally I hear that sound... again
    • View Profile
Re: Lister TS2, insufficient oil in valve cover
« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2019, 11:42:25 PM »
Hi MadLabs

You can purge all the line from the sump to the rockers.

Usualy there is a strainer in the oil line in the rockers, just because they don't need as much oil as a bearing or journal.

Take a look at rockers axel to see if oil is flowing.

But a good clean will give one answer, if not take a look at oil pump, but you said pump is giving 25psi.

Just my ideia.
VP
By order of firing up:
Bernard 18A - 1968 (mama's water pump - year of my birth)
Petter PAZ1 - Jun 1967, 3HP, sn 416xxxx
Petter PAZ1 - Nov 1979, 3HP, sn 425xxxx
Lister 12/2 - 12651227, the pearl!
Deutz MAH 914, 1952 - Zündfix in chamber and go (7Mai2023).