Author Topic: Anyone Heard from Bob, Ajaffa1?  (Read 4413 times)

guest22972

Anyone Heard from Bob, Ajaffa1?
« on: November 13, 2019, 10:20:22 AM »

I emailed Bob the other day to see if he was OK with his absence  being noticeable.
I know he is right smack in the middle of the very worst of the catastrophic fires going on here atm.  Haven't heard back since sat  and am feeling concerned. I did have his Number but can't find it.

He did mention to me in a recent message that he was concerned about fires on his property. I know he also does a lot for a local canoeing centre and that  is right in the middle of the holocaust as well from what I can see on the fire maps.

I think OSM may be in the fire zone as well so I hope they are both OK.

Anyone been in touch with either of them lately?

The fires here have been the worst ever.  My father is a bit further down the coast in the other very bad area.  He went to town on sunday morning to do his shopping and they wouldn't let him back in less than an hour later. I told him to go to the club we go to as it had been made into an evacuation centre.  Spent the day there into the early evening before they opened the roads again so he could get in. He's in a heavily wooded  but smallish pocket of land of about 40 acres.  There is clearing all around that between him and where the fires have been but there are reports of ember attacks leap frogging fires many Km ahead of the fire front.

He got some land cleared earlier this year thank heavens and I have also dropped a number of monster trees but  If a fire got in there with the winds the way they have been, It would consider it a slim chance for his sheds and home to survive. The biggest problem is not his place but the 2 either side that are over grown and not well or not maintained at all.
I think if he makes it through tomorrow the worst of the danger will have past. I'm hoping to get up there the weekend. Highway has been closed in several spots between him and I since friday night.

Still pretty worried about Bob though.

dax021

• View Profile
Re: Anyone Heard from Bob, Ajaffa1?
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2019, 06:25:44 PM »
I also noticed his absence, but did not realise it was probably due to your bush fires.  Hope he is ok, and your dad.  We had a serious fire a couple of years ago and the small town near me, Knysna, lost about 1000 houses if I remember correctly.  It was not a fun time.  Luckily the property on which I stay was not affected.

Some pics of my old bakkie (ute) doing fire duty damping down.

Narelle gorringe

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2019, 08:10:06 PM »
Hi everyone, narelle here (ajaffas wife)
Bob is ok, however we have lost our home. His shed is ok and so are his engines. It was a terrifying experience and we very nearly didn't make it. Bob and i had to drive  that night through the inferno! He is currently in nymboida helping people fix pumps and generators to try get started again. Over 100 homes lost in our village and 94 in our road alone. He wanted me to let you all know he is ok and when the road reopens he will come up to a little house im staying in and get back onto the forum. 
I'll thank you guts and gals for keeping my husband sane over the last couple of years. Narelle

guest23837

« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2019, 09:02:28 PM »
Hi everyone, narelle here (ajaffas wife)
Bob is ok, however we have lost our home. His shed is ok and so are his engines. It was a terrifying experience and we very nearly didn't make it. Bob and i had to drive  that night through the inferno! He is currently in nymboida helping people fix pumps and generators to try get started again. Over 100 homes lost in our village and 94 in our road alone. He wanted me to let you all know he is ok and when the road reopens he will come up to a little house im staying in and get back onto the forum. 
I'll thank you guts and gals for keeping my husband sane over the last couple of years. Narelle
Hello so sorry to hear about your home being lost but I'm glad you two are ok. I live in a wet misty cold part of the world and seldom realise how lucky I am. Give my best to Bob. Thank you

old seagull man

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2019, 01:09:10 PM »
Glad to hear they are ok, the Boss and I are in the UK with the kids for Christmas.
So thankfully we missed the whole fire season. Though like you all our friends haven't been so lucky.
 Glad everyone is well so merry Christmas to all from the old dart.
My 2020 find you all well when I return.