Puppeteer

Author Topic: Anyone Heard from Bob, Ajaffa1?  (Read 1351 times)

glort

• View Profile
Anyone Heard from Bob, Ajaffa1?
« on: November 13, 2019, 10:20:22 AM »

I emailed Bob the other day to see if he was OK with his absence  being noticeable.
I know he is right smack in the middle of the very worst of the catastrophic fires going on here atm.  Haven't heard back since sat  and am feeling concerned. I did have his Number but can't find it.

He did mention to me in a recent message that he was concerned about fires on his property. I know he also does a lot for a local canoeing centre and that  is right in the middle of the holocaust as well from what I can see on the fire maps.

I think OSM may be in the fire zone as well so I hope they are both OK.

Anyone been in touch with either of them lately?

The fires here have been the worst ever.  My father is a bit further down the coast in the other very bad area.  He went to town on sunday morning to do his shopping and they wouldn't let him back in less than an hour later. I told him to go to the club we go to as it had been made into an evacuation centre.  Spent the day there into the early evening before they opened the roads again so he could get in. He's in a heavily wooded  but smallish pocket of land of about 40 acres.  There is clearing all around that between him and where the fires have been but there are reports of ember attacks leap frogging fires many Km ahead of the fire front.

He got some land cleared earlier this year thank heavens and I have also dropped a number of monster trees but  If a fire got in there with the winds the way they have been, It would consider it a slim chance for his sheds and home to survive. The biggest problem is not his place but the 2 either side that are over grown and not well or not maintained at all.
I think if he makes it through tomorrow the worst of the danger will have past. I'm hoping to get up there the weekend. Highway has been closed in several spots between him and I since friday night.

Still pretty worried about Bob though.

dax021

• View Profile
Re: Anyone Heard from Bob, Ajaffa1?
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2019, 06:25:44 PM »
I also noticed his absence, but did not realise it was probably due to your bush fires.  Hope he is ok, and your dad.  We had a serious fire a couple of years ago and the small town near me, Knysna, lost about 1000 houses if I remember correctly.  It was not a fun time.  Luckily the property on which I stay was not affected.

Some pics of my old bakkie (ute) doing fire duty damping down.

glort

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2019, 08:16:17 PM »

1000 homes is a LOT to loose. I think the total here so far is around 200.  That I think is largely thanks to the fleet of water bombers that have been in the air  doing drops on properties. My father said the local airport has never been busier and they have had trucks lined up with fuel when they can get through to keep all the aircraft fed. One of the big jets has to come back to Sydney to land and re fuel and re load but it's not a long flight to get back to the area.  I spose they run it for speed rather than economy as well.

Mate and I did the same setup with his ute a few years ago when fires were round his place.  Since then we have built a fire trailer with a tank, pump and a couple of fire hoses.  Here there is a standard Connection called a Storz for all firefighting equipment so anyone can tap into anything.  We put those fittings on as well so he can connect to mains supply or other hoses can connect to the pump.

I set my own fire pump up the other day.  We are on acerage without much bush but I found a council  fire map and realised we are 4 houses away from a creek area that is deemed a potential threat.  No risk from fire directly but I think the flying embers could pose a real danger.  I am forever cleaning out gutters here but I know one strong wind and they are full again and the wind has been non stop which is a big reason why the fires have been so intense.

Couldn't have been too pedantic, spoke to the next door neighbour and got him thinking and he set up his pump as well. As he said, it's only pedantic if nothing happens. If it does, then we were well prepared.  I'm hoping to be seen as pedantic. If something does happen then we will be able to look after ourselves as well as help Neighbours.  We both have several tanks but I have let the septic end holding tank fill up as well.  It normaly pumps out onto the lawn when it gets to a certain level but I have moved the float right up so there is about 1500L in there at all times.  I have 2x IBC's sitting beside it on top so a decent amount of water for the pump and situated where I can cover the whole house and garage.

The sky was a very errie colour the other evening.  The smoke came down from the fire zone and a decent fire came up less than 5 KM away.  No danger from that but it was a reminder that out here on the edge there is a risk all around.

Bit concerned for my mate up the road. He lives on a 20 acre block. Over the last 2 years we have cut down and pushed back a lot of trees, Illegally as it is, to give his house decent clearance. Unfortunately, the neighbours either side have very thick growth up either side.  It's a good 50M or more from the house but it's Very tall and large timber with a lot of undergrowth and if a fire gets in that, his house may as well be next to it.

Here you are only allowed to clear trees to 10M from a house or building and 50M on the ground of shrubs etc. thanks to all the new environmental laws that have also stopped a lot of back burning and made the fires much worse than they ever have been.
 It's a joke really, 10M when you might have a couple of KM or 100 of solid bush isn't going to do squat if a fire comes and there is a wind behind it. The radiant heat alone would cause a house to burst into flames.  Mate and I think 100M is bare minimum for trees especially the size he has so that's what he has pushed it back to on his property.

The thing with fires here is they ultimately are put out with rain.
There is none forecast here still which is why some of these fires have been burning for months already. Lots more hot wind and 5% Humidity though.

Narelle gorringe

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2019, 08:10:06 PM »
Hi everyone, narelle here (ajaffas wife)
Bob is ok, however we have lost our home. His shed is ok and so are his engines. It was a terrifying experience and we very nearly didn't make it. Bob and i had to drive  that night through the inferno! He is currently in nymboida helping people fix pumps and generators to try get started again. Over 100 homes lost in our village and 94 in our road alone. He wanted me to let you all know he is ok and when the road reopens he will come up to a little house im staying in and get back onto the forum. 
I'll thank you guts and gals for keeping my husband sane over the last couple of years. Narelle

Johndoh

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 29, 2019, 09:02:28 PM »
Hi everyone, narelle here (ajaffas wife)
Bob is ok, however we have lost our home. His shed is ok and so are his engines. It was a terrifying experience and we very nearly didn't make it. Bob and i had to drive  that night through the inferno! He is currently in nymboida helping people fix pumps and generators to try get started again. Over 100 homes lost in our village and 94 in our road alone. He wanted me to let you all know he is ok and when the road reopens he will come up to a little house im staying in and get back onto the forum. 
I'll thank you guts and gals for keeping my husband sane over the last couple of years. Narelle
Hello so sorry to hear about your home being lost but I'm glad you two are ok. I live in a wet misty cold part of the world and seldom realise how lucky I am. Give my best to Bob. Thank you
It is better to light a candle than to curse the darkness

glort

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 30, 2019, 11:57:26 AM »
I spoke to Narelle tonight.

For what they have been through they seem in good Spirits. Damn site better than I would be that's for sure.  Although Bob is an Import, he sets an exemplary example of the  Great Aussie Spirit as does Narelle.   I can't imagine what it would be like to loose ones house and all their Possessions but they are planning for the future already. 

Unfortunately they were let down by those that should have helped them in several and unforgivable ways  and had a very narrow escape because of it.
In irony, Bob is helping people doing what ever he can and sounds like he is running himself ragged to help others.  Why am I not surprised?

They have had a VERY tough time with many things this last 12 months especially and this is just one more kick in the guts they did not need, particularly with what they have been served up already. 

I will seriously never understand this world in how good people get the worst shit life has  thrown at them instead of looking after those that deserve it most of all. 

glort

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 30, 2019, 01:01:35 PM »

old seagull man

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 30, 2019, 01:09:10 PM »
Glad to hear they are ok, the Boss and I are in the UK with the kids for Christmas.
So thankfully we missed the whole fire season. Though like you all our friends haven't been so lucky.
 Glad everyone is well so merry Christmas to all from the old dart.
My 2020 find you all well when I return.

glort

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 05, 2019, 06:28:55 AM »
 Far from over yet. This is a current snapshot of the fires here.

https://screenshotscdn.firefoxusercontent.com/images/aaf27a28-9524-4e9c-8421-004758b5a96f.jpg

This is only the fires in THIS state. Queensland up north is copping it too but they come under a different authority so aren't on this map.

The smoke is so bad in sydney people are walking off the job because of health alerts.  The Light outside has been a little less Yellow than a Traffic Light all day long.  Smoke is so thick here that I can see it heavily  between the house and the back fence and the neighbours house across the road rather than in any distance.  All you can smell in the air is Bushfire.

Mate up the road's place is under imminent fire warning. He sent the family away and is there himself.  He got himself 4 Fire pumps and has set them up along with electric pumps he can run off a generator.  I called him to see if he wants me to come help but the roads are closed and they are not letting anyone in.  I can hear the water bombers from here.  They are using a local airfield between him and I  as base rather than the local airport. Spose it's closer . They must have brought in tankers because there is no fuel there I'm aware of.  the main fore near here is around the citys main dam  which is under 49% atm.  I spose water is close to the fire at least but it has jumped the River and heading towards the city.

There was Charred leaves and ash coming down here yesterday and it's worse today.  It would be seriously affecting the output of my solar panels if there was any sun falling on them.  You can stand outside and look up and just see the black and charred leaves and ash falling out the sky like some sort of rain from hell.
The light all day has been like late evening.  Overcast, only in smoke making everything yellow rather than clouds making things grey.
It's strong enough that you can definitely feel it in your nose and back of your throat.  We are on the outskirts and the big fir is about 15 KM from here but my wife is right in the middle of suburbia at work and from what she is saying, it's worse there.  Gets much worse I'll be up the shed brining down an oxygen bottle and cracking it in the house.

Las t few days there have been big red/ orange sunsets.  Can't even see where the sun is today.
I have a feeling things will get worse once the sun goes down and the inversion layer of cold air settles the smoke to an even higher concentration.
There isn't a breath of wind which is unusual for here.  was blowing at 90 Kmh a couple of weeks ago. I hate wind but it sure would be handy about now.

I think this is something like a Nuke winter would be like.