How to / DIY > Everything else

Centrifuges Really Work

<< < (2/5) > >>

snowman18:
glort I"m doubtful bubbling air through WVO is going to remove the moisture, then on the other hand I agree with you on that the centrifuge will not removed any moisture which has become emulsified into the oil.

A very long time ago I used to collect waste engine oil that I sold to a refinery to use as feed stock, from each tank load I brought in a lab technician would grab a sample.

A measured amount from the sample was heated in a flask with the moisture re-condensed into a graduated column. From this they were able to calculate the percentage of water in my load.

The refinery deducted that percentage of water from the payout.

I have since done a bit of research regarding the ph of waste cooking oil, here is what I have learned.

The pH of neat vegetable oil varied between 7.38 and 8.63 and of WCO between 5.13 and 6.61

The used oil is acidic, water is one of the worlds best solvents.

I'm going to set up an experiment over the next couple of days and I'm hoping that my video camera will catch and show the results.

The experiment using a liter of waste cooking oil placed into a glass beaker, two stainless steel plates submerged into the oil with a small DC current passed through the oil.

What I'm expecting or hoping to see on camera is off gassing ( bubbles ) as the moisture molecules are being turned into its two components hydrogen and oxygen via electrolysis.

If I'm not able to visually see any off gassing, I'll tape a plastic bag over the top of the beaker to catch the gas's - just keep open flames at bay.

snowman18:
glort shortly after plugging in the power supply when a shine a light into the dark colored oil I can see bubbles coming off the electrodes.

The oil is cold and fairly thick hopefully the bag tapped over the top of the gallon jar has a story to tell us in the morning.

I'm using titanium electrodes but stainless steel strips will work just as sell for this purpose. The power supply came from an old ATM but you can use an old PC power supply, some you have to bride a couple of wires to get them to power up.

I'll run this experiment one more time, do a hot plate sizzle test before and after.

In the meantime we wait for the results.

snowman18:
From another unrelated experiment that resulted in some neat nickle crystals electroplated onto a stainless steel sheet.

mike90045:
Collecting the gas with a bag & rubber band, you have a perfect explosive mix of H & O2  The tiniest spark and your bag will vanish with a loud BOOM.
 (gas mix also known as Browns Gas, for the mark it leaves in your underwear)

snowman18:

--- Quote from: mike90045 on November 10, 2019, 06:29:48 AM ---Collecting the gas with a bag & rubber band, you have a perfect explosive mix of H & O2  The tiniest spark and your bag will vanish with a loud BOOM.
 (gas mix also known as Browns Gas, for the mark it leaves in your underwear)

--- End quote ---

Isn't chemistry great,

The gas is trapped in the oil, it has turned cloudy.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version